Any help Fractalites? Attempt to tone match B7K goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Folks,

The title pretty much says it all. I am trying to tone match the Microtubes B7K because even though I can reduce most of the noise by turning up the Output 2 Boost/Pad to 9 db, I'd be curious to see if I could get a really accurate tone match and just go about my way recording without having to think about noise issues with this pedal.

Anyway, the problem that I'm running into is that even though the notion of the tone is "there", the tone match never seems to get the raw punch and oomph that the pedal imparts to the signal - the tone match lacks in low mids. And instead of having a smooth even drop off in the highs, the tone match gets clanky and sibilant.

In my usual patch, the effects loop runs in front of my grit amp (a recto orange modern, in this case) and acts like a boost. The amp then feeds into a guitar cabinet IR and into a PEQ to filter out what I don't want.

I copied and pasted the grit channel routing to a new preset, recorded a 10-20 second lick, and used it as my reference. I've tried it raw right off the cab without filters, I've tried it with all the filters running, without gating, with gating - you name it. I literally spent a couple hours just shooting off different options. Then I tried playing and matching the tone in a whole variety of different ways. I tried it through the same rig without the FX loop. I tried it through the rig with a boost in front. I tried different amps. I tried a friggin' DI for the heck of it. No matter what, I just don't get THAT close to the sound of the pedal.

It's not the end of the world, as I've found a happy medium with a setting I like, but I also wonder if I'm not doing something as well as I could. Anybody here successfully tone match their B7K? I'm not interested in your TM patches, but more interested in what process you used to find your level of success.

Man I hope you get this working!

How are you tone matching the pedal? Plugging right into it and then back out?

I am curious as well, I have only matched guitar amps and made speaker IRs thus far. Would love to see it detailed.

What pedal model is your starting point? The one you dialed in to be as close as possible? We don't have a sansamp model.

The tone match will only get the EQ, it cannot reproduce anything else.

For the umpteenth time do a REALTIME tone match. A real-time tone match is orders of magnitude more accurate.

See, and I think that's ultimately the problem. Nothing in the Axe-II pedal selection is like the B7K - at least so I think. I'm hoping somebody else can prove me very, very wrong.

Well, I just read about real-time tone matching. I'm guessing because I hadn't actually used tone matching in a while the whole concept kind of eluded me. That makes a HUGE difference. Putting the tone match after the cabinet block I would normally use just slays. It might have just a tiny touch less on the highs, but overall the lack of noise makes it sit SO much better in the mix. Thanks so much, Cliff! This forum certainly is freaking awesome!

With the Input Echo option it's now stupidly easy.

If you are matching an amp all your really need is AMP->TMA. Set Output 2 Level to max.

You can extend this concept to drive pedals probably but I've never tried it.

I did a TM of that pedal. It`s a preamp. So i would use a Amp Block.

And if you get it right.. plz share the presets. I hope you make alot

You use a bass right ??

Well, the presets I'm using utilize the TM block after the cab block, which is an OwnHammer cabinet I made up - so I can't really share the preset because they contain Kevin's work. Further, perhaps it's incorrect, but I was of the assumption that TM was only useful for the person doing the match. If you don't have the gear I'm using, won't it sound entirely different? Correct me, by all means, if I am wrong.

OK - it's just that all the reference docs I saw showed the TM block after the cab block.

Should the TM go before the cab block during the actual TM as well?

Just wanted to do an update. I changed up the way I was doing the TM and followed the steps in the how-to video with even greater success. So after replacing the cab entirely with the TM block I exported it as a cab and am feeling a lot better about the whole process and the results. By exporting as a cab I can start to work with things like "Thunk" to get that pump that the B7K gives me. Adding air gives it even a little more push and crunch - and I'll be damned if I'm not getting to a point where I'm getting better results than with the B7K.

Now it's just a matter of dialing in a bunch of sweet spots with the B7K and matching them, exporting those bad boys as cabs, and building a preset with a bunch of scenes to meet my needs for my recording project. Thanks again, Cliff! Such a radical piece of technology!

Back
Top Bottom