Any good free open back IRs out there?

stm113

Power User
I normally don't look for free IRs but I need just one maybe two good IRs of an open back 1x12 or 2x12 for some live performing, none of the stock IRs in the AF2 really seem to be speaking to me. Thanks for any suggestions.

HI, you can find some IR's of my 2x12 Rivera open back w/EVM 12L's in this thread; http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rivera-2x12-evm12ls-testing-and-feedback-thread.111152/
The plan was to release a complete free CabPack of it, but due to low interest I lost the inspiration so it has been postponed...
Per
Thank you man, I'm gonna check these out! I am a closed back kind of guy but I've been playing in the Worship band and as you probably can guess the "appropriate" tones for that context is combo or open back 2x12 or 2x10's. The only reason I am looking for a free IR is because I only need 1 good one, single mic.

Thank you man, I'm gonna check these out! I am a closed back kind of guy but I've been playing in the Worship band and as you probably can guess the "appropriate" tones for that context is combo or open back 2x12 or 2x10's. The only reason I am looking for a free IR is because I only need 1 good one, single mic.
don't get stuck with what you think is most appropriate. best "worship" tones i've ever gotten have been lately with an Orange 212 ir.

It is an interesting subject. A single IR shot with a close mic on the front of the cab, how is it affected by the open vs. close backed cabinet if theoretically all else is equal?

I know playing on stage with an open backed guitar cabinet is not easily reproduced running direct with conventional FRFR monitors.

I would assume the cabinet design affects the front close miced sound, but when micing a guitar cab, small changes in mic position result in huge tonality changes. I wonder if mic position is really the big factor? and outweighs the open vs. closed back?

It is an interesting subject. A single IR shot with a close mic on the front of the cab, how is it affected by the open vs. close backed cabinet if theoretically all else is equal?

I know playing on stage with an open backed guitar cabinet is not easily reproduced running direct with conventional FRFR monitors.

I would assume the cabinet design affects the front close miced sound, but when micing a guitar cab, small changes in mic position result in huge tonality changes. I wonder if mic position is really the big factor? and outweighs the open vs. closed back?
Not sure, but I figure that the closer to that type of set up I can mimic will come in handy when I'm not the only guitarist playing.

don't get stuck with what you think is most appropriate. best "worship" tones i've ever gotten have been lately with an Orange 212 ir.
Do you have any presets you could share? I am still not comfortable with my tones. What's your set up for worship stuff?

Not sure, but I figure that the closer to that type of set up I can mimic will come in handy when I'm not the only guitarist playing.

If your playing with another guitar playing, having something that is sonically different usually works well.

In case you're looking for more options, RedWirez has IR packs that come with tons of mics, including micing the back of the cab. So, you could either load up a front impulse and a back impulse from that pack to try and get that sound, or you could mix them into one IR using CabLab or MixIR2. They've also got AC30's, Tweed Deluxe's, it'd be a dream come true for any worship guitarist. Each pack is like $8 too, so it's hard to say no to that value.

Back
Top Bottom