Any good bass presets?

Hansen

Experienced
I just bought myself my first bass but do not own any bass amp. I have heard the Axe FX works ok with basses too. Could anybody upload a good preset to use with the Axe FX 2?

Sansamp type tones would be super handy. Anything out there on AxeChange?
To be frank, that's a pretty vague request. Not only are there various SansAmp units out there with different voices, the most popular two (RBI and RPM for rack, and BDDI for floor) cover a huge range of tones. Smooth mellow to grindy SVT-ish.

I looked at Axe Change but I could not find any bass presets for Axe 2. Just for the new AX8, etc.

On a general note, is the Axe also considered to be good for bass or is it just kind of an additional capacity it has?

I looked at Axe Change but I could not find any bass presets for Axe 2. Just for the new AX8, etc.

On a general note, is the Axe also considered to be good for bass or is it just kind of an additional capacity it has?
It is servicable. You will work quite a bit harder than our guitar counterparts to really get places. If you have something specific in mind for a tone, it may take you quite a lot of tweaking to get there. There are some tones that are simply not really possible in any FAS product (Like a B7K - nothing else sounds lor feels ike it). But there are a lot of decent to good tones available, just nothing mind blowing great. I actually think in the specific use case of bass, Line6 has (a very slight) leg up on FAS.

I'll have to look later, but I know I uploaded a few Axe-Fx II Mk II presets up there. When I get home this evening I'll look.

Edit to add: this isn't meant to deterr you. I'm just being realistic and thorogh in the actual current ability of any FAS product to service us bass players. It's still very, very much a great unit. I use mine night after night playing with national/international acts (just last week, Sonata Artica and Leaves Eyes, for example). If I wasn't happy at all with my tone, I'd go back to my pedal board and real amp. Even for recording, I still use my Axe-Fx II. I just have a library of tone matched pedals that I break out somewhat often to help cover the gaps.

Last edited:
I actually think in the specific use case of bass, Line6 has (a very slight) leg up on FAS.
Since we're being honest, I actually think that some of the EZ Mix bass presets sound better than the Axe-Fx for certain projects. I actually just picked up Audified's GK Amplification Pro 2 on black Friday and am pretty happy with it. Using it with the built-in cabs or OwnHammer's is a great option. I mainly use my DI blended with a "grit" track. Sometimes the Axe-Fx gets the job. Sometimes it doesn't. It all comes down to serving the mix. The thing with bass is that it takes processing very well. Much better than guitars, which you need to get where you're going in as little moves as possible.

I think it's a total of around 13 presets and there are that many cabs or less. Of course, there are hundreds of actual IRs included, but you don't need to load all of them for the presets.

To be frank, that's a pretty vague request. Not only are there various SansAmp units out there with different voices, the most popular two (RBI and RPM for rack, and BDDI for floor) cover a huge range of tones. Smooth mellow to grindy SVT-ish.

Oops, I meant to include the RBI model. Mainly for hi-gain bass presets that cut through the mix.

Oops, I meant to include the RBI model. Mainly for hi-gain bass presets that cut through the mix.
The SVT model would get you the closest to an RBI type of sound. I'd start there. You have any references to the exact sound that you're going for?

Interesting, I should have a few uploaded on AxeChange if you search my name. With the new FW updates, you will definitely have to tweak as I think the last one I posted was from FW 18. Speaker Drive needs to come way down since that FW. If they are not there, let me know and I will re-upload them this week.

Could you be a little more specific? What type of 'pop and slap' tone are you after? There are a few of those type of professional players that have different tones.

Really I'm just trying to get my technique down in that style. But, let's say Victor Wooten to shoot for the moon. :)

Back
Top Bottom