Any Godin players?

I tried a Godin Multiac nylon and really liked the sound; but ... the action was terrible and the head stock seemed top heavy to balance the guitar properly. I've read about these guitars being hit or miss construction wise -- specifically, about the action. Any thoughts?

Godins almost always come with high action out of the factory. They expect you to get the guitar set up and adjusted to your preference since everyone is different.

Godins almost always come with high action out of the factory. They expect you to get the guitar set up and adjusted to your preference since everyone is different.
Understood, but unfortunately you need to shim the neck to body junction (unless you get lucky).

I've owned a number over the years. It comes down to what kind of neck width and strings you want, and what kind of finish. The last "normal" one I owned was an A6 Ultra, with steel strings and a neck humbucker. Currently I just have an A11 Glissentar, which is more of a niche instrument...

So I bought a Godin LGX SA recently (Trans Blue AAA Flame Maple) and absolutely love it. I have to eat some crow because I previously posted in @la noise 's thread "Any 335's Up In Here??" that I'd never found a solid body I liked. Just can't put this thing down though. It's got a Seymour Duncan Jazz pick up in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge (with coil splits). It also has piezo and synth access.

I'm just curious if anyone else here plays Godins. I searched and there are no threads devoted to them.

Here's a pic.

View attachment 95421
I've had 2 LGX-SA's over the years. Great guitars even without the synth access. I had one red/burgundy flame top & one blue flame top just like the one pictured by the OP. As a matter of fact, that looks exactly like my most recent one which I sold a few years back.

I have six Godin's.

-A6 Ultra Baritone
-LGX SA
-Fifth Avenue King Pin II w/P90's
-A8 Mandolin
-Simon & Patrick Songsmith acoustic 6 String
-Simon & Patrick Songsmith acoustic 12 String

The Simon & Patrick guitars were bought to be campfire guitars when we camp. The tone is absolutely incredible for the price.

Every one of them is undeniably perfect. Out of the 23 guitars i own, the Godins are definitely my go to guitars.
They also make awesome acoustics. They also are the mother company of the brands Seagull and Simon & Patrick.

Godin has got to be one of the most meticulous guitar makers. If there is even the slightest, teeniest little flaw, they will sell it as a factory second. The baritone i bought was a factory second for having the smallest little blemish under the body where you cant even see it (Saved about 15% off price.

Last edited:
I have six Godin's.

-A6 Ultra Baritone
-LGX SA
-Fifth Avenue King Pin II w/P90's
-A8 Mandolin
-Simon & Patrick Songsmith acoustic 6 String
-Simon & Patrick Songsmith acoustic 12 String

The Simon & Patrick guitars were bought to be campfire guitars when we camp. The tone is absolutely incredible for the price.

Every one of them is undeniably perfect. Out of the 23 guitars i own, the Godins are definitely my go to guitars.
They also make awesome acoustics. They also are the mother company of the brands Seagull and Simon & Patrick.

Godin has got to be one of the most meticulous guitar makers. If there is even the slightest, teeniest little flaw, they will sell it as a factory second. The baritone i bought was a factory second for having the smallest little blemish under the body where you cant even see it (Saved about 15% off price.
I've only got the one so far, but it's a keeper and I'm on the look out for more.

Reviving an old thread... I recently found a listing for a used LGXT XTSA and I couldn't resist so in a few days, I will have another Godin after a number of years without one. I've owned several LGX-SA's over the years and have used a couple different guitar synths. I currently don't even own a guitar synth to drive with the 13-pin output but I use an electric W/ piezo's to cover acoustic parts and that's how I will use this guitar initially. Maybe I will pick up another guitar synth down the road...

Last edited:
I have an XTSA and really like it (it's now my only electric guitar). They are ridiculously versatile guitars even without the GK out. A bit on the heavy side.

I'd imagine the GP-10 is probably going to be fairly easy to find used.

I bought and promptly returned one of their nylon acoustic-electrics because: (1) the action was unacceptably high and could not be lowered without shimming; and (2) the guitar was heavy overall and had serious neck dive.

Back
Top Bottom