Any Former Kemper Users Here?

demorior

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone here was using a Kemper before
switching to the Axe Fx II?

Why did you make the switch?

What has your experience been since you switched over?

Former Kemper Rack owner here too ;) I got one because at the time there was a six month waiting list for the Axe here in the UK and I was keen to get into amp modelling so I bought the Kemper and ordered the Axe which meant that I ended up having them both at the same time. So because of this I could compare one against the other - the Axe was on FW 17 at the time but even with that it just felt better and the effects were definitely beefier. Don't get me wrong - there are some sweet sounds in the Kemper but the Axe just has SO many possibilities that it was a keeper for me. The Axe Edit software was also a deciding factor because I prefer to set up the signal chain graphically rather than using the front panel and I couldn't do that with the Kemper because there wasn't software to do it.
I use a FRFR system onstage for a traditional "feel" or "punch" and to get harmonic feedback when I need it and I can do it in stereo with the Axe for full effect but could only run in mono with the Kemper.
I would say that the Kemper is for guys who have a more "straight ahead" approach and who aren't too interested in tweaking - just plug in, select a rig, maybe some effects and play! It's probably had some firmware updates to improve it since I sold mine a year ago but so has the Axe and I just love Quantum 2.
So, if you were in a position where you have to pick either one or the other all I can say is that you can get great amp/cab tones out of each unit but will most likely have to use your old effect pedals with the Kemper and put up with less flexibility.
You're not me and I'm not you so we might need different things from a (virtual) amp but if you're deciding right now you can benefit from my experience:)

A lot of the profiles sounded the same.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. I felt like every single profile sounded the same to an extent. Why should an AC30 have the same sort of gain structure as a dual rec?

I use a FRFR system onstage for a traditional "feel" or "punch" and to get harmonic feedback when I need it and I can do it in stereo with the Axe for full effect but could only run in mono with the Kemper.

Not sure I understand this. Why could you only run mono with the KPA?

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. I felt like every single profile sounded the same to an extent. Why should an AC30 have the same sort of gain structure as a dual rec?

Not sure I understand this. Why could you only run mono with the KPA?
Hi Karl - the Axe can do everything in stereo all through the chain including sending to the PA obviously but also has Output 2 in stereo to use (in my case for my onstage gear) in stereo but the Kemper can only monitor in mono

My introduction to both was when a local studio asked me to record some clips with them. I borrowed the Kemper (have never owned one) for a few weeks. Same with the Axe, which I liked so much that I bought one. The studio wouldn't give me both at once (which I don't blame them for) but ethomas from the forums here brought his Axe down while I had the KPA so we could A/B them...good guy.

In any case, I really liked both. I thought the KPA sounded really good. I also thought the effects were pretty bad. The Axe, on the other hand, has fantastic effects. I still prefer TC's and/or Strymon's effects, especially for time-based stuff, but the Axe's are more of a different flavor than a lesser quality, and are worlds better than the KPAs. You have far more options on the Axe, too, and the constant firmware upgrades are awesome. I don't always gush over all of them like some seem to, but there's no question that some of them really are game-changers (plus bug fixes, etc).

I've been really happy with the Axe. Now waiting for AX8 and expect to be just as excited about it.

Another ex-user here, I really liked the Kemper, and some of the profiles I did myself were really nice. However I always felt there was something not quite right at the bottom end, and there was a certain sameness to some of the profiles. The other big problem for me was the lack of a decent editor and the effects. I made the switch with a great deal of trepidation, but i'm so glad I did and I've never been happier. I've gone back to some of the recordings I did with the Kemper for our new album, and decided to re-do them all. I was amazed at the eq-ing I had done on the KPA tracks to make them sound right in the mix. So far the new tracks are sounding great.

Another one here. Had Axe Fx 2 for a year, sold it got a Kemper for a year and just sold it and got an Axe Fx XL. Both great units but for what I do, home playing and recording only, I am much happier with the Axe. The Kemper is awesome for guys who have real amp rig tones they want to capture and use digitally, playing live and recording. For the home user though, finding "just the right" profiles for what you want can be a needle in a haystack. Man I had one killer one though. But now I have many with the axe.

I've had two AXE FXII units since firmware 6 but I decided to try the Kemper out of curiosity and I sent it back within a couple weeks. It's not terrible but its no AXE FX.

The Axe, on the other hand, has fantastic effects. I still prefer TC's and/or Strymon's effects, especially for time-based stuff, but the Axe's are more of a different flavor than a lesser quality, and are worlds better than the KPAs. You have far more options on the Axe, too, and the constant firmware upgrades are awesome

I find it infinitely curious and even puzzling when people have trouble choosing between Kemper and AFX. It's true that they may serve the same purpose and do compete for guitarists' budgets, but in essence they are vastly different devices that work differently and are intended to do different things. So different in fact that calling them both "modelers" or "processors" is confusing things to an extent that makes a very easy choice unnecessarily difficult.

There are people who use just one favorite amp and no effects, maybe apart from a delay thrown on a solo, and want that specific sound everywhere. I've seen such people complain about the AFX that it's not 100% accurate. Why? It's just not what AFX is for. It can sure get close, sometimes indistinguishable, but it's not its main purpose.

On the other hand, if you want tons of nigh quality effects and like to tweak and experiment with sound, Kemper just isn't made for that. Sure you can use different profiles and have a lot of variety but again it's not the main purpose. You just can't add negative feedback there to an amp that doesn't have it to see how such a Frankenstein would sound.

So, assuming anybody who's buying any of those rather expensive devices isn't a complete newbie who's trying his first guitar, people should know more or less what they want, shouldn't they? And if they do, it's a very easy choice.

Right?

I find it infinitely curious and even puzzling when people have trouble choosing between Kemper and AFX. It's true that they may serve the same purpose and do compete for guitarists' budgets, but in essence they are vastly different devices that work differently and are intended to do different things. So different in fact that calling them both "modelers" or "processors" is confusing things to an extent that makes a very easy choice unnecessarily difficult.

There are people who use just one favorite amp and no effects, maybe apart from a delay thrown on a solo, and want that specific sound everywhere. I've seen such people complain about the AFX that it's not 100% accurate. Why? It's just not what AFX is for. It can sure get close, sometimes indistinguishable, but it's not its main purpose.

On the other hand, if you want tons of nigh quality effects and like to tweak and experiment with sound, Kemper just isn't made for that. Sure you can use different profiles and have a lot of variety but again it's not the main purpose. You just can't add negative feedback there to an amp that doesn't have it to see how such a Frankenstein would sound.

So, assuming anybody who's buying any of those rather expensive devices isn't a complete newbie who's trying his first guitar, people should know more or less what they want, shouldn't they? And if they do, it's a very easy choice.

Right?

Agree. It's largely dependent on what you're looking for. Still, for me...I'm a pretty basic guy at heart. I use pretty basic amp tones (though I use a bunch of different ones), some delay, and some reverb, for the most part. I don't use a lot of the esoteric effects, etc. So in theory the KPA might have been better for me. But because I only use a few of those effects, but I use them a lot, the quality of them was a big deal for me, which sort of ruled the KPA out. And I actually found that I like the modeling on the Axe better, particularly after v. 17 hit.

All that is to say that nothing substitutes real-world trials of the equipment you're considering. But ultimately it does depend on what people are really looking for. The challenge is that what seems to be a better fit might not actually be, and what some people think they want isn't actually what they want.

Still, for me...I'm a pretty basic guy at heart. I use pretty basic amp tones (though I use a bunch of different ones), some delay, and some reverb, for the most part. I don't use a lot of the esoteric effects, etc. So in theory the KPA might have been better for me. But because I only use a few of those effects, but I use them a lot, the quality of them was a big deal for me, which sort of ruled the KPA out. And I actually found that I like the modeling on the Axe better, particularly after v. 17 hit.

Ah, but you don't need your sound to be an exact replica of your amp that you've had for the last 35 years and that was tweaked by your granddaddy. And you care for effects quality quite a lot. So you're a part of a different crowd.

See? It's easy! :)

Ah, but you don't need your sound to be an exact replica of your amp that you've had for the last 35 years and that was tweaked by your granddaddy. And you care for effects quality quite a lot. So you're a part of a different crowd.

See? It's easy! :)

I'm not sure that's different. One user with certain needs. Other users may have different needs. But ultimately everyone needs to decide based on what they want. Not sure what your point is.

I have never played a Kemper, so everything I'm about to say is completely worthless. Feel free to ignore my post.

What I think of with the Kemper is two situations:
1. I LOVE my analog/tube rig that I play locally at my home clubs, but I it's hard to travel/tour/fly with. So... Kemper.
2. I have access to (via rental, borrow, friends, whateva) some sweet unobtainable vintage amps/cabs, and I'd like to capture them to keep for myself (without incurring grand larceny charges)... So... Kemper.

That is, if if really clones rigs as well as they say it does, and knowing how amazing technology is getting, I have no reason not to believe that it does.

Of course... AXE fills situation #1 very well too. As for situation #2, you can get that too, although you get it a different way. Hey, it's all gear. It's all fun. Use what ya got, use what ya love. I would never desire a BC rich guitar. Some guys love them. I'm not a PRS fan either (just personal preference as to how they feel to me) although they are beautiful and sound great. Many people would hate my guitar. I would never want the whole planet using the exact same gear. That would be boring.

In fact, as much as I wish Cliff and Co success and world domination and all the groupies that come with it, I'd just as soon keep my rig a secret and be the only guy around rocking it. More power for me. :p

My point is that, by your description of your needs, the choice between the two devices us actually a no-brainer. Like in 99% of cases.

I don't think things are that simple. Because in my case, the KPA seemed like a no-brainer choice. Until I used one. The Axe was better for me, but I wouldn't have known that until I tried both. I don't think it's a no-brainer in anywhere near 99% of cases.

The Axe was better for me, but I wouldn't have known that until I tried both. I don't think it's a no-brainer in anywhere near 99% of cases.

Of course it is. You say you prefer TC/Strymon to AFX in terms of effects quality. This means you hear and care about the difference. And you like options (which is something a lot of people, and especially musicians, hate). There's little reason to care about Kemper in your case. So if you were informed well about both devices, there would not much to have doubts about.

Of course it is. You say you prefer TC/Strymon to AFX in terms of effects quality. This means you hear and care about the difference. And you like options (which is something a lot of people, and especially musicians, hate). There's little reason to care about Kemper in your case. So if you were informed well about both devices, there would not much to have doubts about.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Most musicians, in my experience, LOVE options (even when really, deep down, they don't use them or need them), and theoretically...yes, being well informed...the KPA should have been a better choice for me (see my original post on the topic). But it turned out not to be. So, again, I just don't think your generalization is accurate. But I'm fine with that. I'll just play my Axe and love it.

I have both and think both are great. I am not a big effects guy but for raw amp tone I can make them both sound the same. Of course I have to combine their qualities. Quite interesting really.

Back
Top Bottom