Any experience with a Friedman active monitor?

rolidoc

Inspired
I'm using a Matrix Q12a in combination with my AXE. Just read a test about the Friedman active monitor asm12 wedge. Is this wedge a good alternative to the Matrix, any experience? Maybe for the new atomic stuff too?

I've used my ASM with both my AX8 and AFXII for rehearsals and gigs constantly for the last 6 months or so. It's admittedly not as 'detailed' sounding as other options, but I don't think that is the purpose.

I find it sounds best as a supplement to someone running FOH and maybe using the house foldbacks.

There's a lot of people who find they miss the thump of a cab behind them and that's exactly what the ASM gives. It's not dull or anything, just not as top-endy as "proper" FRFR options. I absolutely LOVE mine and would've given up on the axe route if I didn't have one.

seems to be two schools of thought....guys that want a more cab vibe and aren't as worried about accuracy love it. Guys that want accuracy above all don't. Where you land in those two camps will probably decide whether it's for you or not...

Do you use it for gigs, what about the "real cab" feeling?
I just bought it last month. I have not gigged it, but it maybe more "cab like" that other monitors on the market as that's what Friedman was going for. None of them will be exactly like a real cab due to the physics of sound. Search around the forum as Cliff Chase talks about this somewhere in more detail.

I have also tried the AX8 through a real power amp and cab deactivating the power amp and cab modeling. Sounds great if choosing a similar preamp to match the real power amp & cab that you are using. Overall, probably the less versatile setup, but players using only a few tones live get excellent results. I've noticed that several bands (like Megadeth for example) tour this way.

seems to be two schools of thought....guys that want a more cab vibe and aren't as worried about accuracy love it. Guys that want accuracy above all don't. Where you land in those two camps will probably decide whether it's for you or not...
I fall into the "cab vibe" school. My favorite preamps are the Friedman, 51503, MESA, and Marshall tones, but I still have not explored all 220+ preamps. My tastes are of the hard rock, metal, and shred tones. This is why the Friedman ASM-12 is for me. Players needing more variety or "accuracy" may prefer studio monitors, but those will less likely offer that big, fat, solid birch cab style sound. Dave Friedman talks about this on the EVH Gear Podcast with host Eric Broadbent. Checkout his thoughts on Youtube.

I find that most modelers have the hardest time producing blues, or "SRV" style tones, but I have not explored those on the AX8 outside of the EJ Clean preset which I tweaked for my setup. Clean, jazz, pop, and metal tones sound convincing though. I'm extremely happy with my FAS setup. I hope to buy the FX8 Mark II next spring for my tube amp setup.

Hi mate,

I've owned the CLR, a couple of ALTOs, and two ASM-12s, and the ASM's were the best of the lot BY FAR in my opinion. It did the 'cab in the room', or 'feel' thing better than anything, which is why it won with ease. I found all the main amp sims, BE, HBE, EURO, SPLAWN, EVH amps sounded the best through it and did it justice.

A bit awkward to carry around given the handle is in an awkward position, but that aside, the sounds and tones I was getting from it sounded bloody great. And yes, it kept up with a JCM900 head and 2x12 so volume wasn't an issue.

as you can see...hard rock/metal guys that like thump prefer them. i didn't think it was close to my CLR. different strokes...

Ive used mine for my touring gig in a country/southern rock gig. I use a telecaster and a Morgan AC20 patch and get compliments on my live sound just as much as the direct.

I normally place the cab behind me at smaller shows to fill out the stage and get more noise in the room. It sounds great, looks great and is pretty friggen sturdy. Only cons are its really heavy and the handle design is akward.

Also, if you want any sort of protective cover/case, its gonna be custom because of its goofy shape. I got a zipper padded bag from Tuki covers for around 100 bucks.

My ASM experience is it works pretty darn good but I think I'm going to run an EVH 5153 mini head and 2x12 cab in parallel with it next show. This way I can compare side by side just how good it is. It's really hard to tell until you're in the middle of a show if it's working well or not.

Hi mate,

I've owned the CLR, a couple of ALTOs, and two ASM-12s, and the ASM's were the best of the lot BY FAR in my opinion. It did the 'cab in the room', or 'feel' thing better than anything, which is why it won with ease. I found all the main amp sims, BE, HBE, EURO, SPLAWN, EVH amps sounded the best through it and did it justice.

A bit awkward to carry around given the handle is in an awkward position, but that aside, the sounds and tones I was getting from it sounded bloody great. And yes, it kept up with a JCM900 head and 2x12 so volume wasn't an issue.

Just out of curiosity, were you using two ASM-12s alongside the JCM900 2x12 or just one?

It totally makes sense that 2 ASM-12s would be comparable to a 2x12 cabinet.

Just out of curiosity, were you using two ASM-12s alongside the JCM900 2x12 or just one?

It totally makes sense that 2 ASM-12s would be comparable to a 2x12 cabinet.

Nah I was using just the one. I never could really bring both to prac (small'ish car), plus other gear. Two would be ideal, at least so that you could slightly spread them apart, however I stand by the fact they do the 'cab in the room' thing better than anything out there IMO.

I bought a second intending to run stereo, as it turns out I'm far too lazy and just keep one at home and one at the studio.

Back
Top Bottom