Any EBMM owners?

Going through this thread really made me get a bad case of GAS, I was not familiar with the Luke III. I just ordered one, there is no place I can go and actually play one. So, I hope I like it. It looks great, my only concern is that I keep seeing "the neck is way too small" comments in some reviews. I guess I will know soon enough.
I wouldn't call the Luke III necks small. They're a bit narrower, but not skinny. The thickness is more what many manufacturers call medium than anything else. The specs before final sanding is .825-.945". So they do vary a bit when finished.

The very first Luke with Floyd, that neck was much smaller. Narrower, thinner, much more pronounced V. The current Luke is a really soft V.

Thanks, that is reassuring. I have Fenders and Gibsons, and Gretsch's. This is going to be my "modern" guitar. It sounds like the quality is excellent with the EBMM guitars. And also from what I have read and seen, the Luke III seems versatile, not just for high-gain tones.

I bought a Kramer Night Swan back in 1988, that guitar had a really, really skinny neck. It was hard to play chords in the first position.

Here is what I have coming

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 13
Going through this thread really made me get a bad case of GAS, I was not familiar with the Luke III. I just ordered one, there is no place I can go and actually play one. So, I hope I like it. It looks great, my only concern is that I keep seeing "the neck is way too small" comments in some reviews. I guess I will know soon enough.
The MM necks differ pretty widely in my experience. I've had 3 MMs -- the Stingray, the Cutlass and the JP6 Piezo. They're all different. I love the Stingray (the neck fits me right) and it's been my main guitar for gigs. I sold the other two. The Cutlass' neck was great but the PUPs are weak and I hated the battery and it was noisy despite the so-called "silent circuit." I much prefer a Strat. The JP6 has a weird thin neck that I found to be uncomfortable. Its PUPs were strange as well; they seemed out of balance and I could never find the right tone with them. The piezo was the best part of that guitar IMO (however, there's another battery). My 2 cents FWIW.

Thanks, that is reassuring. I have Fenders and Gibsons, and Gretsch's. This is going to be my "modern" guitar. It sounds like the quality is excellent with the EBMM guitars. And also from what I have read and seen, the Luke III seems versatile, not just for high-gain tones.

I bought a Kramer Night Swan back in 1988, that guitar had a really, really skinny neck. It was hard to play chords in the first position.

Here is what I have coming
Nice! Great top on that one. I have the same finish on one of mine.

I wouldn't call the Luke III necks small. They're a bit narrower, but not skinny. The thickness is more what many manufacturers call medium than anything else. The specs before final sanding is .825-.945". So they do vary a bit when finished.

The very first Luke with Floyd, that neck was much smaller. Narrower, thinner, much more pronounced V. The current Luke is a really soft V.
My Luke 1 and LIII necks are actually almost the same, very slim with pronounced V. There is very little difference between them.
My two Luke 2’s have much chunkier necks, albeit still a v shape. Even they are noticeably different from each other!
It seems that the neck profiles and thickness appear to vary quite significantly from one instrument to the next. Likely due to the hand finishing at the factory.

My Luke 1 and LIII necks are actually almost the same, very slim with pronounced V. There is very little difference between them.
My two Luke 2’s have much chunkier necks, albeit still a v shape. Even they are noticeably different from each other!
It seems that the neck profiles and thickness appear to vary quite significantly from one instrument to the next. Likely due to the hand finishing at the factory.
In an old email from Music Man, they stated the Luke 2 being .790-.890. I've actually measured Luke 1s to be about that, the most recent one was .795-.900, for instance.

The slinkiest Luke 3 I've had is .815-.950 (thinnest, most V). I've another one that's marginally thicker. Some of the other 5 (that I didn't end up keeping), were noticeably chunkier.

In an old email from Music Man, they stated the Luke 2 being .790-.890. I've actually measured Luke 1s to be about that, the most recent one was .795-.900, for instance.

The slinkiest Luke 3 I've had is .815-.950 (thinnest, most V). I've another one that's marginally thicker. Some of the other 5 (that I didn't end up keeping), were noticeably chunkier.
I've always been a fan of slim v necks, and my Luke 1 and LIII are great examples, and the slinky feel, for speed and efficiency they can't be beaten. However, when playing for extended periods, I seem to prefer the slightly beefier Luke 2's, for example when doing gigs etc. I find them less tiring to play. Those are just my observations anyway...

Havent checked the whole thread - does anyone know the neck thickness on the albert lee? My offset GAS still rides despite just buying another jazzmaster.

Havent checked the whole thread - does anyone know the neck thickness on the albert lee? My offset GAS still rides despite just buying another jazzmaster.
Call EBMM tech support -- they will give you all the detailed specs

Call EBMM tech support -- they will give you all the detailed specs

I appreciate it!

I didn't know (or forgot) there's a sterlin AL40, and exactly one in stock in my province. If my current listing sells, I'm tempted to check it out. Far less expensive than what I've been rolling through lately haha.

I appreciate it!

I didn't know (or forgot) there's a sterlin AL40, and exactly one in stock in my province. If my current listing sells, I'm tempted to check it out. Far less expensive than what I've been rolling through lately haha.
Yeah, it's important to check the specs because the neck carves are different. I have a Stingray that fits me perfectly; but I had and sold a JP6 that was too thin for me. I also had a Cutlass that has the same neck carve as the Stingray, but I sold the Cutlass for different reasons.

Yeah, it's important to check the specs because the neck carves are different. I have a Stingray that fits me perfectly; but I had and sold a JP6 that was too thin for me. I also had a Cutlass that has the same neck carve as the Stingray, but I sold the Cutlass for different reasons.

I like a medium C (85-95 ish) lately and it seems the AL would be the closest of their offerings. I've never known EBMM/sterlings to be subpar across the line (mostly see the JP worship, being into heavy music). I've never owned one though!

I bought the Majesty in my profile pic about a year ago, and except for one intermittent issue, it is an aMAzing guitar, makes me a better player, more easily, and I play it every day, for at least a couple hours on average, the tones it's capable of are even more than one might expect from a signature JP model (just listen the Out Of The Blue from his latest solo effort), and it pushes all my other guitars back into their cases. Even with aggressive whammy bar usage, it stays in tune perfectly (I do use a little nut sauce at the nut.) Extremely easy, and quick, to set the neck with just a touch of relief. With very low action, string buzz is almost non-existent (only when strumming hard, do you hear it.) I use D'addario EXL140's (10's with a 52 low E, which helps for drop-D tunings, and you don't even notice its not a 46.)

However, right after I bought it, it started breaking high E strings somewhat regularly; definitely too often. Didn't end up dealing with it under warranty, since even if it's a covered issue, you have to pay for the shipping at least one way. Plus, I was loving the guitar SO MUCH, I didn't want to be without it for even a couple days. I decided to see if I could fix the problem myself, or if it would go away. If neither happened, I'll revisit it.

Picture a cylinder laying flat, like a piece of pipe setting on a table so it can roll. That is what the saddles look like. The string simply crosses over the saddle at about its midpoint. When I say "about", I mean, there is no recess to keep the string in place, other than its tension. And that's exactly where the strings have been breaking. Why would you not design a slight recess into the saddle? Seems like a no-brainer to me. I did find a teensy tiny little burr at first, but I never felt comfortable taking a file to it. So apparently the QC at EBMM, when it comes to polishing the saddles, isn't good enough. And apparently after re-stringing the guitar about 8 times, the string itself worked the burr smooth, because the problem has gone away.

But there for awhile, it was breaking those strings regularly enough, that I wasn't yet ready to replace the whole set (once it broke only a couple days after replacing.) Then suddenly the problem stopped and hasn't recurred in 3 string changes. So other than that, effin fantastic guitar!! It's light, ergonomically perfect for hours of comfortable playing, and I got it for under 3 grand, all-in (at the time the retail was 3499.) I would highly recommend it, just be prepared for a possible issue with the saddles.

I bought the Majesty in my profile pic about a year ago, and except for one intermittent issue, it is an aMAzing guitar, makes me a better player, more easily, and I play it every day, for at least a couple hours on average, the tones it's capable of are even more than one might expect from a signature JP model (just listen the Out Of The Blue from his latest solo effort), and it pushes all my other guitars back into their cases. Even with aggressive whammy bar usage, it stays in tune perfectly (I do use a little nut sauce at the nut.) Extremely easy, and quick, to set the neck with just a touch of relief. With very low action, string buzz is almost non-existent (only when strumming hard, do you hear it.) I use D'addario EXL140's (10's with a 52 low E, which helps for drop-D tunings, and you don't even notice its not a 46.)

However, right after I bought it, it started breaking high E strings somewhat regularly; definitely too often. Didn't end up dealing with it under warranty, since even if it's a covered issue, you have to pay for the shipping at least one way. Plus, I was loving the guitar SO MUCH, I didn't want to be without it for even a couple days. I decided to see if I could fix the problem myself, or if it would go away. If neither happened, I'll revisit it.

Picture a cylinder laying flat, like a piece of pipe setting on a table so it can roll. That is what the saddles look like. The string simply crosses over the saddle at about its midpoint. When I say "about", I mean, there is no recess to keep the string in place, other than its tension. And that's exactly where the strings have been breaking. Why would you not design a slight recess into the saddle? Seems like a no-brainer to me. I did find a teensy tiny little burr at first, but I never felt comfortable taking a file to it. So apparently the QC at EBMM, when it comes to polishing the saddles, isn't good enough. And apparently after re-stringing the guitar about 8 times, the string itself worked the burr smooth, because the problem has gone away.

But there for awhile, it was breaking those strings regularly enough, that I wasn't yet ready to replace the whole set (once it broke only a couple days after replacing.) Then suddenly the problem stopped and hasn't recurred in 3 string changes. So other than that, effin fantastic guitar!! It's light, ergonomically perfect for hours of comfortable playing, and I got it for under 3 grand, all-in (at the time the retail was 3499.) I would highly recommend it, just be prepared for a possible issue with the saddles.
I've had mine for a year without a broken string. In fact, I've yet to change the strings, lol.

I've had mine for a year without a broken string. In fact, I've yet to change the strings, lol.
I immediately searched the MM forums, and other people reported the same issue (on the Majesty, as well as other models), but it was obviously pretty rare.

Aside from string changes because of the e string, I've played it so much that I've probably worn out 5 sets! What version did you get? How do you like it?

Edit: I see it a couple posts above. Beautiful color.

My Majesty's and my StingRay 5
IMG-9453.jpg

IMG-9357.jpg

Back
Top Bottom