Any EBMM owners?

Unfortunately, had to return it to Sweetwater. The pickups are really low output compared to the previous Dimarzio Transitions, couldn't get enough decent sounds out of it. I guess Lukather must've liked these pickups better when he switched to the Bogner Helios from the Ecstacy. Shame, as it played great and was nice and light.

Luke 3.jpg

Just picked up this Luke 3 from Sweetwater.

View attachment 74500

I had a musig man silhouette special. It was my first high end guitar. I loved the neck finish and the pickups (hss) I loved too. The tremolo was unusable. Got so out of tune that was ridiculous (wilkinson). I did play it a lot. I am a leftie, btw. I sold the guitar 2 years ago. It needed the fretboard flattened ( or whatever the term for it is in English). I had already bought other guitars and I did’t play it anymore so I did not want to invest in it. I also found that the narrower neck wasn’t my thing. Also: when you swap between guitars I noticed the narrowness more and it annoyed me.
Harm

Unfortunately, had to return it to Sweetwater. The pickups are really low output compared to the previous Dimarzio Transitions, couldn't get enough decent sounds out of it. I guess Lukather must've liked these pickups better when he switched to the Bogner Helios from the Ecstacy. Shame, as it played great and was nice and light.

View attachment 75478
Something must have been wrong with it. There is plenty of output in those pickups and preamp.

Something must have been wrong with it. There is plenty of output in those pickups and preamp.

I doubt it, we're talking about Music Man. BTW, I'm talking about the pickups without the boost/preamp enabled.

It was much lower output than the Transition in the bridge of my 2013 Luke 3 HSS.

View attachment 75478
Depends on what you call a decent sound, I guess, I love mine. And for output: it has 12db boost, which lets use choose between dynamics and power at one push

l’ve had this EVH music man forever. It’s great.

Had these out when Eddie passed; my little tribute.

Attachments

• 28AE83BA-F13C-4325-9D80-3B3973EC877B.jpeg
    28AE83BA-F13C-4325-9D80-3B3973EC877B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
I had a Luke recently with a broken bridge pickup. So it does happen.
I guess you were right. Just received a brand new 2020 Luke 3 HH from Eddie's guitars with a bad switch (bridge and neck pickups were both active in positions 1 and 5, and position 5 had intermittent volume issues). Guess that's why Eddie's had it on a flash sale. First time I've had an issue with a music man guitar.....new or used.

I’m really not all that enamoured with the low friction pots on the LIII’s.
The tone pot on mine went all scratchy sounding, and occasionally cut out. The volume (push) pot was so loose that it practically span around on its own whilst playing, and it kept cutting out completely.
So I decided to have both pots replaced. Total nightmare according to my tech. The older LIIIs have a separate PCB, whilst the newer ones have mini PCBs attached to the pots. in either case you need to go with EBMM replacement pots. Firstly you need to order the replacement, and then send in the faulty ones. However they sent us the newer PCB style pots by mistake. So those go back, along with a lengthy description and photos of the control cavity, which was surprise to them as they weren’t familiar with it at all (it‘s only a 2013 model!). Anyway, we got there in the end, and it’s working OK now, although the pots are still a bit loose for my liking.

I took delivery of an HSS Cutlass yesterday. On one hand, it sounds and plays great. On the other hand, this is, by far, my most disappointing EBMM. There are flaws in the finish the the frets on the end are... "uncapped"? Like, I can see into the fret slot from the side of the neck on some frets. I haven't noticed this on my other three EBMMs.

I took delivery of an HSS Cutlass yesterday. On one hand, it sounds and plays great. On the other hand, this is, by far, my most disappointing EBMM. There are flaws in the finish the the frets on the end are... "uncapped"? Like, I can see into the fret slot from the side of the neck on some frets. I haven't noticed this on my other three EBMMs.
I'd return it if you can. That should not happen with a Music Man. I had a Cutlass and it's quality was flawless -- I sold it for other reasons, namely, that I found it noisy despite the "silent circuit" system; and the PUPs are quite weak. Otherwise, it's a great guitar.

I'd return it if you can. That should not happen with a Music Man. I had a Cutlass and it's quality was flawless -- I sold it for other reasons, namely, that I found it noisy despite the "silent circuit" system; and the PUPs are quite weak. Otherwise, it's a great guitar.
I bought it on Reverb, unfortunately. I don’t think it would be fair to kick off a return for problems I have with EBMM’s work. It is in the described condition, it just has flaws.

What model do you have and what do you love/hate about it?

Is there a guitar you wished you bought instead?

Thank you in advance.
Mine is old school and I love everything about it. Never regretted it for a second.

JPMM.jpg

I love my Albert Lee... I feel like most of my favorite guitars are just a couple of degrees away from the classics.
Hamer Studio Custom instead of a Les Paul.
EBMM Albert Lee in place of a Strat.
ES-339 instead of ES-335.
Works great for me!
ZSgXkC4.jpg

hkBPJtw.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Albert Lee... I feel like most of my favorite guitars are just a couple of degrees away from the classics.
Works great for me!
ZSgXkC4.jpg

hkBPJtw.jpg
I have two Hamer imports that I like. One is a copy of yours and the other is a Monaco(LP), but I've never held a Hamer USA in my hands. Are they worth the extra grand a used one would cost me?

Works great for me!
ZSgXkC4.jpg

hkBPJtw.jpg
An enviable collection!
Always wanted an Albert Lee "Strat". :) Sweetwater has been advertising a special limited-edition one with 3 P90s and autographed by Albert Lee himself. Very tempting, but cash is tight.

Had two different Hamer Specials in the '90s. First one got stolen. Got another, beautiful cherry red, but stupidly sold it off to finance a wireless unit. :( That guitar played and felt great - fantastic neck profile - and I really miss it.

A friend down in Tucson has a 339, in Tangerine Burst. Awesome guitar. If he ever decides to sell it, I hope he lets me know first.

Another friend had a '60s black panel Princeton Reverb. Great sounding amps, those....

I have two Hamer imports that I like. One is a copy of yours and the other is a Monaco(LP), but I've never held a Hamer USA in my hands. Are they worth the extra grand a used one would cost me?
I think so. I've got nothing against Gibson (have a 339 and a 390) but vastly prefer the Studios to a Les Paul. The bang-for-the-buck relative to Gibson is pretty insane. Hamer quality was top-notch.

Going through this thread really made me get a bad case of GAS, I was not familiar with the Luke III. I just ordered one, there is no place I can go and actually play one. So, I hope I like it. It looks great, my only concern is that I keep seeing "the neck is way too small" comments in some reviews. I guess I will know soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom