Any EBMM owners?

Currently own a JP6 Koa BFR, JPX (older one without stainless frets, which bugs me since Guitar Center lied when I got it), a Y2D, and a Valentine. I previously owned a Luke III HSS which I sold because V-profile necks are not my thing, and a JPXI 7 string which I sold because the wide ,flat neck didn't agree with my short fingers.

Honestly, if I could afford it, I'd get even more of their guitars. Mine have always been insanely stable over the years, and this thread is honestly the first time I've seen anyone mention having stability issues with EBMM necks, but I guess its possible even in this price range. I have owned my JPs since 2012/13 and have NEVER adjusted the truss rods since I got them and the guitars play great today.

The only "problem" I have with their guitars is that the Schaller tuners can be inconsistent from what I've seen. My JPs and Morse are fine, but the Valentine has some spots on one or 2 strings where the tuner wants to give some resistance before going up, but honestly I haven't reached out to see about swapping them out. I've seen other people around other forums saying that Schaller has not been the most consistent QC wise over the last 5+years, but EBMM don't use anything else.

My main guitar is an EBMM Reflex Game Changer. The pickups were OK, but I swapped them for a set of Duncan P-Rails and a Fralin Steel Pole 42 in the middle and now it's a beast. It's a brilliant guitar, and the midi pickup switching makes my life much much easier. Switching presets and scenes switches my pickup selection automatically. Sadly, they're out of production. Not a big seller, as you might imagine. But damn, what a guitar.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, do we have a consensus on Suhr vs EBMM. In my 3rd party perspective I would put them on equal footing in terms of quality and my buddy let me borrow his Modern for the weekend (the one I mentioned in previous post) and while it’s is a nice, light, well playing guitar, there are a few things that shouldn’t be. Look at the string path and neck pup alignment in the cavity.

Attachments

• E0CBC7D3-259B-4EE9-B126-6A04617EBBD5.jpeg
    E0CBC7D3-259B-4EE9-B126-6A04617EBBD5.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 087FCF12-EA36-41FE-B48C-FABB046281D8.jpeg
    087FCF12-EA36-41FE-B48C-FABB046281D8.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
2012 JP6 in Mystic Dream. It's one beautifully playing guitar. Really, if I could grab one as the house was burning, that would probably be it. That said, I'm not super into the crunch lab/liquifier pickups. Not really sure what I'd swap in there though, but it's obviously not bad enough that I've done anything about it.

I had 3 Lukes, 3 Silhouettes, 1 Reflex, 1 JPX, A Morse. the Lukes were great guitars, all older model, with EMG pickups. The JPX was terrible, the neck moved everyday, was impossible to keep in tune. I don’t think the quality of what they produce now is as good as the guitars they made 6/7 years ago. So much focus on getting as many Majesty guitars out the door,
I agree with you on the JPX. I had one years ago and, it seemed like I had to adjust the truss rod before tuning it almost every time I took it out of it's case. Never had a guitar neck change as much as that one did.

Owned:
JP6 pearl blue
JP6 Read Blood pearl
JP6 Mystic dream painted headstock
JP6 Mystic dream non painted headstock
JP7 Red Blood Pearl
JP7 Carbon Blue
Majesty Polar Noir
Rosewood Axis Super Sport

Current:
JPXI
JPXI (ball reserve inlay)
JP13

Last edited:
I have a Majesty 7string.

Cons:
The mahogany neck does like to wander a bit depending on the season. On mine the open 7th string will fret out if I take it out during winter, and the last time I put it in the case was summer. But it only needs minor adjustment to get back in shape.
The illuminator bridge is rather boomy on the extreme low end. Seems to have more bass than the neck somehow. I see why Petrucci practically zero's the bass on his IIC+. But hey, that's what input eq is for!
I, too, had the smoke wear off the smoked chrome after only a few weeks with the guitar.
The "factory" setup was terrible; lots of buzzing. But that could very well be the vendor's issue, not EBMM.

Pros:
The ergonomics, playability, fretwork and overall quality are fantastic. It doesn't have that mass-produced feel; you can tell a lot of care goes into the production. Once the neck has settled, mine stays stable... YMMV.

I was considering a Parker 7string, since I really liked the 6 strings. But Parker was going under at the time I was shopping, so I never got to really find one to compare it to. This was the closest I could get to it.

I own a L3 with Transition Pickups and a 2020 L3 with the new EBMM custom pickups.
That guitar is outstanding, it is that good that I have another one on preorder.
Honestly the best guitars I have ever player in 25 years of being a live and studio musician.

Cheers
Sash

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_121705.jpg
    IMG_20200817_121705.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
Jp6 mystic dream with d sonic in the bridge.. Absolutely comfortable and easy to play. Great neck and i love the tremolo bridge which is a floyd without locking nut.

I will say that another thing I really love about my JP6, is that it's always in tune. I can not have touched it for weeks, and I'm always blown away with it either being in tune, or maybe one string is slightly off. My RG is the only other one that's close, which is crazy with it's paper thin wizard neck.

There’s a guy selling a 2018 Silhouette not too far from me for $1600 CAD ($1200 US approx.) Anyone played one, good price/bad price?

My GAS is playing havoc with me lately 😩

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, do we have a consensus on Suhr vs EBMM. In my 3rd party perspective I would put them on equal footing in terms of quality and my buddy let me borrow his Modern for the weekend (the one I mentioned in previous post) and while it’s is a nice, light, well playing guitar, there are a few things that shouldn’t be. Look at the string path and neck pup alignment in the cavity.
Is your friend sure that it's not a fake? It kinda looks like it to me. Sloppy routing work and finishing, weird bridge etc.

Owned: Currently own:
JP7 2019 Majesty 6
JPXI 7 2017 Majesty 7
JP15 7
2014 Majesty 6

Every single one of these guitars was great. The XI 7 was my favorite till I got the Majesty 7. EBMM makes some badass instruments. Customer service is on point too. They like BKP pickups too. Juggernaut set in the XI turned that guitar into a beast.

I've got a Luke 2, Luke 3 and Luke 3 BFR. You could say I'm a fan. The smaller bodies and necks of the Luke models fit my physique. Speaking of necks, I love the gun oil/wax finish and apply it to all my satin necks.

But I've got to say, my CU24 is the most playable guitar I own.
I have a L2 BFR and L3.

My physique (as in big hands) would suggest these narrow necks would be unsuitable for me but they are for some reason the complete opposite. I re-fretted the L2 BFR with slightly higher/fatter SS wire and use 10s for strings but the L3 is stock currently strung with 9.5s and a great player. Internal electronics maybe a little fragile ..... the L3 is on it's 3rd replaced input jack socket and I'm now getting an issue with 5 way switch.

Tried out a JP6 briefly ..... didn't like it's neck at all but I'm very much a wrap over thumb style player whereas JP is a shredmeister and obviously likes the wide flat necks.

Is your friend sure that it's not a fake? It kinda looks like it to me. Sloppy routing work and finishing, weird bridge etc.

Interesting outcome to this one. I told my buddy to email Suhr and ask them their take on it and it turns out a previous owner swapped out all the chrome hardware for gold INCLUDING the neck screws and ferrules and when he re-attached the neck it must have torqued out of line. The Suhr guys recommended he loosen off the neck screws and re-seat the neck and put the screws back, now i was very skeptical of this working but it did actually work. The neck is now properly aligned but the routs are still the same obviously but at least it plays correctly now.

Credit to Suhr though they've followed up with him multiple times and were adamant that it would never leave QC in that state.

Back
Top Bottom