Any decent floor wedges under 500?

Just wanting a preferably low profile 1x12 or 1x10, maybe coaxial wedge for my AX8. Are there any decent options for under 500?

I definitely want an active wedge, passive means there's more stuff to carry around, and the combed price of the passive monitor and an amp would go well beyond the 500 mark.

+1 for a K10. They're decent enough, lightweight and loud enough. I used one for a couple years and it did the job. With some patience, you should be able to find a used one for under $500 in good shape. I bought 2 used and both were under $500 (Craigs List and eBay).

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I just bought a DXR12. After playing around with it, I immediately bought a 2nd one.
You can find them for absolute steals online -- best I could find was through GuitarCenter online.
I got the first for ~$375 used, and the second one for ~$300 used.
It works great with the Axe and has a small mid-range bump that compliments the sounds.

I've been playing with only flat studio monitors, and when I switched to the DXR12, there was very minimal tweaking required.

I'll probably get an xitone wedge later (I'm staying far away from atomic), but for right now I'm very happy.

I just bought this guy...

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/powered-15-inch-coaxial-monitor/p/SAX-15M-PW

And so far so good. Its super loud, and sounds really great. This is my first step into the land of FRFR. For years I've used an AxeFX/Kemper with a tube power amp and traditional cabinets. But I'm really enjoying this monitor so far. And after a few discount codes it was shipped to my house for only $314. Some people say this monitor "sounds good for the money". But I don't feel need to add a qualification to it. It just sounds good regardless of its low cost.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/powered-15-inch-coaxial-monitor/p/SAX-15M-PW

And so far so good. Its super loud, and sounds really great. This is my first step into the land of FRFR. For years I've used an AxeFX/Kemper with a tube power amp and traditional cabinets. But I'm really enjoying this monitor so far. And after a few discount codes it was shipped to my house for only $314. Some people say this monitor "sounds good for the money". But I don't feel need to add a qualification to it. It just sounds good regardless of its low cost.
Looks good...

How loud does it get? That seems like a very good price for a powered monitor! My only concern would be that for a full range speaker the low end is listed at 55Hz... I would expect to see 15-20Hz.

Have you tried playing programmed music or even just bass through it?

if it works it works but don't expect quality for under 500 bucks. It cost over 200 to build a 112 from scratch. If its not 3/4 birch I would stay away. I read about weight all the time in forums. If it sounds great and weighs 50 pounds so what. If it weighs 30 lbs and sounds thin I have issues. Cabinets all weigh close to the same if they are built right. The only thing you can do to cut the weight is neo drivers and not sure they are worth the extra cost. My Friedman is heavy but quality built and sounds really good. I still prefer a powered amp and passive cab over a powered cab. seems the word FRFR is being thrown around a lot.Some of these are straight from China too :mad: I will pay more for American built in a heartbeat if I can find it. Xitone or Friedman would be my recommendation.

I use the EV ZLX-12P, which runs around 400, but can sometimes be found in the 350 range. I did a blind test with it and several other speakers, and I liked it the best. However, I typically use them as stage monitors and rely on the mains for most of my volume. On a few occasions (such as the job I am doing tomorrow night - a small private gig with only the vocals going through the PA), I use them as my sole audio source.

As with anything, let your ears be your guide. I went through the FRFR search for two months, and I finally ended up with the EVs. Cost was not a factor in my decision, and I may still buy one of the Friedman (ASM-12? - can't remember model) to try.

My only concern would be that for a full range speaker the low end is listed at 55Hz... I would expect to see 15-20Hz.
15-20 Hz? Even subs don't spec that low. Neither do musically-useful sounds. :)

dBtechnologies FM12 are just over 500Euro now unfortunately. That EV monitor indicated up here seems quite a good bet. Versatile also with an extra input an weight is fine. OTOH don't quite like the knobs at the back side (public) of the EV; seems like it's more designed for being put on a stand rather than for use as a floor monitor.
Keep on rocking.

Back
Top Bottom