Any decent Chorus sounds?

neale dunham

Experienced
Looking for anyone thats managed to get close to the Boss ce-2 Sound?

I find the Jap ce2 in the chorus block sounds nothing like my Boss ce-2?

My real world ce-2 only has two buttons..... Rate + Depth. Thats all you need.

On The Axe 3, either its too warbly or not distinct enough to my ears? There are far too many options and in my opinion lacks both warmth and punch.

When mixed with heavy tones, it sounds even worse, just an undulating mess that overtakes the tone. I cant seem to dial it out?

Has anyone had any joy with this block?

Are you putting it before or after the amp?

The chorus sounds great to me. All types.

I may be alone in this opinion, but ..... I open the stock Chorus block, set the rate to 1.618, depth to 61.8, low cut at 135, high cut at 4500 ..... and I think it sounds pretty stellar. I am not really sure what sound you are going for though as I have never used a CE-2.
Also, back in the AX8 section, Larry Mitchell shared a preset of his for the AX8 that had a KILLER chorus block in it. I have used that block for the past 3 or 4 years with my Axe II

Chris,

I use the C block after the Amp Block
try before. it won't be stereo, but think of how we typically use pedals on a pedal board...

that said, i use it after the amp block mostly and it sounds great for my use. maybe your mix or depth is too much. especially on distortion tones, a little goes a long way.

ssmorga,

Im thinking about classic chorus sounds such as Martha and the muffins echo beach for example or cyndi lauper time after time etc anything by The Cure etc etc.

I'm finding the Axe lacking a little, its almost as if the chorus is being mixed with the original tone rather than it running through the pedal if that makes sense?

Even more so on heavier settings.

Ill give your settings a whirl tho and see what gives. Where do i get the Larry Mitchell chorus settings from?

Chris,

Thanks ill give it try in front, you never know i guess. Most of my chorus settings the depth is around 10% otherwise its too overpowering.
Does that sound about right to you?

Also, some stereo chorus stomps do not use a phase shift but one channel is dry and the other is 100% wet. I think that can be replicated somehow but I'm not in front of my axe.

In line with other blocks

Haven't tried experimenting with different mix settings actually what does this control?
How much chorus is mixed with the original sound. Probably one of the first things you should adjust.

If there’s too much chorus, reduce the mix. Mix is a control in many blocks and is a fundamental concept for effects.

Check out the Owner’s manual for more detail.

A lot of the classic Cure chorus sounds were actually a flanger

50% mix is also a lot of chorus, I often back it off to like 20% or so

Don’t turn things like depth or rate all the way up, pedals like the CE2 didn’t have nearly the range of control as the Axe, 10 on the pedal could equal like 6 on the Axe parameter (just an example, not exact 1:1)

Other classic chorus sounds and a coveted pedal was the Boss Dimension C it will get you great 80s tones
Most of the bands you mention have a stompbox. Chorus so always put it in front of the amp for that

Another option is the Detune in the pitch block

The Cure example was just to give an impression of the sort of lushness i am after. I am fully aware that Mr Smith was a huge fan of the Roland Jazz Chorus amplifier. I heed your point.

Going back to the mix thing, this is exactly my point, the chorus is being mixed with the tone rather than flowing through it. I cant seem to find anything that sounds remotely like an old analogue chorus.

Ill try mix at 20 % and keep depth and rate at lower level and see what that brings.

Back
Top Bottom