Any Country Music / Clean Picken /Chicken Recordings?

TexasHeartRush

Inspired
Hey all, first post. Am so interested in the AXE FX, would like to buy. Been spending 2 days listening and looking for 'clean tones' ALA of Brent Mason, Johnny Hiland, Vince Gill, Albert Lee etc.
I did a few searches here and all but one post came up with the 'country' tones deleted. Here are my latest search results: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/search.php?searchid=2545048
Any help using the search function is cool. I don't mind doing the research.

I would be very grateful to hear any country players (old school chicken picken style) or hear from you if you are using the AXE FX. I do a great deal of studio work and currently own all of the usual suspects for direct recording but have grown very unsatisfied with my results anymore. The POD HD was my latest modeling acquisition and I am just uninspired by my results with it. I am actually using the Ethos overdrive direct out for the majority of my work and doing compression/verb etc in post. This results in great recorded tone but also limiting and uninspiring to play live as the sound is dry and flat going in, much like a board. My main recording rig is a 1-12 tube amp setup with pedals micd but that has its own reality and not always convenient.

I have heard many excellent and inspiring sounding demos and studio recordings of the AXE FX in the past 2 days in the mild overdrive to overdrive sounds...and have high hopes for my needs, yet I have found so few with clear non-effected fendery cleans/country/Telecaster or even Strat tones. just Guitar/Amp/Compression type tones. There is a special dynamic relationship in there that I am wanting to hear. Any links or vids or info would be super appreciated.

From Austin Texas...Thank you in advance!

Anybody have demos of straight clean tones of any kind? (primarily non-affected by modulation effects)? Jazz, Bebop, Clean tones blues, Rockabilly?
Modelers in general have been best at overdriven tones and have often lacked a great deal in the clean dynamics of a tube amp in my experience. So far the AXE FX may be a genuine solution, but samples seem so few and far between. I would be so appreciative if anyone could share any or if anyone in Austin had an AXE FX II they were willing to demo for a fellow local professional. Thank you!~

Send this guy an email. I'll bet he has some nice country clips as he plays with Keith Urban:

Brian Nutter Official Website!!!

Thank you. I am a fan and admirer of Kieth, he is such a great player and writer, though he rarely plays clean chicken picken country. He can play it, but his music is not an example of what I am looking for. The Artists style I listed would be best. I am sure if Brian is playing with Kieth he is getting great tones using whatever he is using, AXE FX, amps, pedals etc. The AXE FX would cover 25% of what I do very well, I want to know if it will cover my main tones. Thanks again.

I found this AXE FX 2 clean sound - YouTube Not exactly full chicken pickin. I think V10 sounds better for this kind of thing than any previous firmwares. You can get a great clean sound out of it. Again, not exactly what you're looking to demo (and it's an Ultra, so current sounds are better), but the early part of Ketil Strand's Evolution of Rock guitar has some great clean tones that could easily be adapted to chicken picking. (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part I -Ketil Strand - YouTube

Thank you. Appreciate those links. Seen them both LOL! I have scoured the web and this site. It may be I just need to purchase and find out for myself. The OD tones are so impressive, but I know that may not mean much for the cleans. Well see! Have a great week~

I think the reason there are less cleans and country players on here is due to economics. Most people in that style can afford a single clean fender-ish type amp and with only a few pedals be able to pull off most of the genre. On the other hand many of the high gain amps can run more than the cost of the Axe-Fx II so it makes more sense for those players to invest. But I agree I would like to hear some clips in that style on the Axe-Fx II in the hands of somebody that knows what they are doing.

I think the reason there are less cleans and country players on here is due to economics. Most people in that style can afford a single clean fender-ish type amp and with only a few pedals be able to pull off most of the genre. On the other hand many of the high gain amps can run more than the cost of the Axe-Fx II so it makes more sense for those players to invest. But I agree I would like to hear some clips in that style on the Axe-Fx II in the hands of somebody that knows what they are doing.

Ha...tell that to my wife! Each of my guitars cost more than the AXE FX, even my Teles haha! But I understand. Still for recording, if the AXE FX can get great country tones, I would be so stoked as I would have access to all of the other awesome amp tones and effects for modern country gigs as well. Right now I use Wampler effects exclusively. I did hear back from Brian Nutter, his response was quick and high praise of EVERY SINGLE amp in the AXE FX. Sadly I wish he was a bit more detailed. Nobody uses/likes every amp of every modeler. But its all good and I appreciate his quick reply.

Here is a video me demoing the Ethos overdrive direct. My personal amp tones are better/more lively/dynamic than this, but this is ONE dry clean tone I would like to get close to and I have no amp recordings on YT:
Do you think it is possible?

Thank you~

After listening to your Ethos demo, I'd be shocked if you couldn't get in that neighborhood and beyond with the Axe. You're right that nobody uses all the amps, but what's also true with FW10 is that the amps sound so close to their parents that there are tons of great sounds to be had. If you keep the gain down, any of the Fender sims will give you a variation of the sound you had. The Dr. Z, the Supro, Dumble clean, Mesa Studio and several others would get you something useful in that range. I'm a clean to mid gain player, but I've also found that with most good amps, if I mess with the controls awhile I can find something useful in it. That wasn't always the case before FW10 for me, but now, the modeling is so good that I find that lots of amps I'd never given the time of day to before sound great to me with a little tweaking. Many people feel the Fenders improved the most of everything in FW10. I don't know about that, but they sound damn good from squeaky clean to gorgeously driven.

I am a country player using the Axe Fx 2 and play the Houston area with a Texas Country group and I am very happy with the FAS stuff. It replaced a Matchless DC-30 and a ton of boutique pedals. The latest firmware update was a huge blessing and really did wonders for the Fender stuff especially. I am using patches that use the Super Reverb, Deluxe, 65 Bassman for the clean stuff with varying degrees of "hair" and use the plexi for the lead stuff. An example would be the tones John Carroll used on the recording for Cory Morrow's "Big City Stripper". The FAS unit completely nailed the slightly overdriven, compressed guitar in the verses and the plexi is perfect for the outro solo. I don't think you can go wrong with the Axe.

After listening to your Ethos demo, I'd be shocked if you couldn't get in that neighborhood and beyond with the Axe. You're right that nobody uses all the amps, but what's also true with FW10 is that the amps sound so close to their parents that there are tons of great sounds to be had. If you keep the gain down, any of the Fender sims will give you a variation of the sound you had. The Dr. Z, the Supro, Dumble clean, Mesa Studio and several others would get you something useful in that range. I'm a clean to mid gain player, but I've also found that with most good amps, if I mess with the controls awhile I can find something useful in it. That wasn't always the case before FW10 for me, but now, the modeling is so good that I find that lots of amps I'd never given the time of day to before sound great to me with a little tweaking. Many people feel the Fenders improved the most of everything in FW10. I don't know about that, but they sound damn good from squeaky clean to gorgeously driven.

Thanks Mikey. This Ethos demo is not my tone, just a demo to show that it possible to get decent clean country tones direct with the pedal as there were not any other demos for that. I sincerely appreciate the info on FW10. I assume that would be installed in the latest units if I order direct? And I agree, I would expect the AXE FX to be far beyond this tone yet still maintain clarity and flexibility. The funny thing about modelers and clean tones is they so often have a 'sheen' or digital siz on mixed in. Hard to explain. Still sometime they work great in a mix anyway. An Amp-Tele-Compressor tone is what I need for a good chunk of my work. I am getting pretty psyched about the possibilities. Thanks again!

I am a country player using the Axe Fx 2 and play the Houston area with a Texas Country group and I am very happy with the FAS stuff. It replaced a Matchless DC-30 and a ton of boutique pedals. The latest firmware update was a huge blessing and really did wonders for the Fender stuff especially. I am using patches that use the Super Reverb, Deluxe, 65 Bassman for the clean stuff with varying degrees of "hair" and use the plexi for the lead stuff. An example would be the tones John Carroll used on the recording for Cory Morrow's "Big City Stripper". The FAS unit completely nailed the slightly overdriven, compressed guitar in the verses and the plexi is perfect for the outro solo. I don't think you can go wrong with the Axe.

Thank you. I assume you are using the controller and power amp and cab? Right now the controller is out of stock. But I am not quite ready to use this live yet (Maybe haha!) Any samples you have would be so so appreciated, especially live. Keep rockin and thanks for the info and insight!

I'm down here in Austin- I'd be happy to let you check out the Axe in person if we can get our schedules dialed in. PM me if interested...

I'd say the Axe can definitely do what you're asking.. especially with the latest FW10. A lot of that style is more about technique than anything else, IMHO. But I understand what you're asking- I can't say that the Axe would make you sell you're favorite tube amp, but it's getting really damn close to nailing them. The other factor is what would you play the Axe through? Studio monitors or an FRFR wedge, etc?

I'm down here in Austin- I'd be happy to let you check out the Axe in person if we can get our schedules dialed in. PM me if interested...

I'd say the Axe can definitely do what you're asking.. especially with the latest FW10. A lot of that style is more about technique than anything else, IMHO. But I understand what you're asking- I can't say that the Axe would make you sell you're favorite tube amp, but it's getting really damn close to nailing them. The other factor is what would you play the Axe through? Studio monitors or an FRFR wedge, etc?

Thank you! PM Sent!

Here are a few samples I just made for you. I like a little more aggressive sound (especially that AC30 - I was trying to get the sound of the Paisley's first couple of albums). In the second one I'm using a pitch block to do some of the "East Bound and Down" lead. I used scenes to switch between a couple of keys (and then to the phase).

Here are a few samples I just made for you. I like a little more aggressive sound (especially that AC30 - I was trying to get the sound of the Paisley's first couple of albums). In the second one I'm using a pitch block to do some of the "East Bound and Down" lead. I used scenes to switch between a couple of keys (and then to the phase).

Love that AC30 patch. Can you post the preset please or let us know what effects/settings you used on top if it? I haven't been able to dial that in.

Back
Top Bottom