Any control ideas for non MFC players?

is9582

Power User
Hello all,

I've had my AxeFXII for quite a while and have been using it solely for enjoyment at home, but even with that, I still get the occasional pangs to play outside of my little bubble. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for ways I can control changing (up/down) scenes within a given patch, without reaching over and touching the "A" knob on the front of the unit. I think that for the time being would add enough flexibility, until I can finally obtain an MFC. I'd really prefer to have a single pedal solution instead of one of the competitors of the MFC (like the FCB1010) primarily so I can keep more $$ in pocket for the MFC. Hopefully there is a simple solution some of you experts can provide. :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lee

Last edited:
FCB1010 can do this. It's not the easiest process to implement, though, depending on your MIDI proficiency - which is the flip side of the coin for an inexpensive MIDI pedal like this. But, it does have a lot of features, and there are a couple threads describing how to set up scene changes with the FCB somewhere on the forum.

jimfist,

Thanks for the quick response. I obviously didn't write clearly, as I was trying to see if there was anything small and simple that could do this, as opposed to the FCB1010 and other similar "boards". As for my MIDI expertise; nil would be too kind. Haha. I assume I'll finally have to dive in and learn when I get an MFC, but I'm shielding myself from having to learn more than necessary to perform these types of operations. ;)

Heck, if someone has a design for a simplistic pedal build, that I could assign to handle this basic operation, I'd be glad to build one.

Cheers,

Lee

Are you using the amps in your signature or just the Axe-FX 2?

If you are using multiple amps, you could always get a G*Labs LMS-1 (Y/ABCD switch) and a ENGL Z-11 Midi Switcher (6x latch switch) so there is only a single input cable.

Longhair,

I still own those amps, but I've primarily shifted to my AxeFXII. It's just so danged flexible and sounds so good. If this had been around back in the early/mid 80's, who knows if I would have ever purchased those amps. ;)

Thanks anyways for your input.

Lee

Shouldnt you be able to increment scenes up or down via the pedal-jack on the back of the Axe?
Im not sure about the details right now, but someone could maybe confirm that its possible and describe how to set it up.

Shouldnt you be able to increment scenes up or down via the pedal-jack on the back of the Axe?
Im not sure about the details right now, but someone could maybe confirm that its possible and describe how to set it up.

You can increment presets but not scenes as far as I am aware. Scenes need a CC34 and value of 0-7, the pedal jack can be set to increment presets but not the other CC values needed for scenes.

Another way to control them is from a DAW.

jimfist,

Thanks for the quick response. I obviously didn't write clearly, as I was trying to see if there was anything small and simple that could do this, as opposed to the FCB1010 and other similar "boards". As for my MIDI expertise; nil would be too kind. Haha. I assume I'll finally have to dive in and learn when I get an MFC, but I'm shielding myself from having to learn more than necessary to perform these types of operations. ;)

Heck, if someone has a design for a simplistic pedal build, that I could assign to handle this basic operation, I'd be glad to build one.

Cheers,

Lee

Sorry. Got it. Funny, I was just going to say that SCENE scroll-through be a great wishlist item for the rear pedal function.

Thanks all. Perhaps this is presently a no-go? I guess we'll see if anyone is aware of any "lite" product that can control this feature, without a full-blown foot board (and the cost for same).

I, too, would +100 on that wishlist item!

Sorry. Got it. Funny, I was just going to say that SCENE scroll-through be a great wishlist item for the rear pedal function.

Already possible, set SCENE INCR to PEDAL in the I/O menu. The way it's programmed is kind of strange though, maybe a bug: to have the scene change with every press you need to use a momentary switch with type set to latching on the Axe.

You could get any small keyboard or drum pad controller that can send CC values to do this and use midi. There are lots of them out there and have been for a while, so you should be able to find one cheap.

Already possible, set SCENE INCR to PEDAL in the I/O menu. The way it's programmed is kind of strange though, maybe a bug: to have the scene change with every press you need to use a momentary switch with type set to latching on the Axe.

Awesome! Maybe this is the way for the OP to go. Is this feature updated anywhere in the official documentation or the Wiki? I couldn't find it (from my work computer). If so, a link would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Bakerman,

So, are you saying I could, say, plug a footswitch into the port on the rear of my AxeFXII, and with each click, move to the next scene? If so, since I usually toggle between two scenes, I could for the sake of argument, copy scene 1 to 3, 5 & 7 and scene 2 to 4, 6 & 8, so each time I clicked the footswitch, it'd be just like going back and forth? Sound right, or did I miss something??

Thanks for everyone's input. Such a great forum.

Lee

Right, just make sure it's a momentary switch.

Awesome! Maybe this is the way for the OP to go. Is this feature updated anywhere in the official documentation or the Wiki? I couldn't find it (from my work computer). If so, a link would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Scenes chapter of manual, explains the need for momentary switch too (not a bug):

Scene Increment/Decrement

MIDI CCs can also be used to step up or down through scenes. The entries SCENE INCR and SCENE DECR in the
I/O:CTRL menu designate CCs for each action. The defaults are CC#123:INCREMENT and CC#124:DECREMENT.
Values from 64-127 trigger the action while values from 0-63 are ignored.

Bakerman, good to know as this isn't visible in the Pedal menu of the Axe, might be a good feature to add to the pedal menu selection for scene increment and decrement.

Bakerman,

I've read both the downloadable manual (most recent shows for version 10.02) and the scenes manual from Dec 6th, and I can't find anything about momentary switches. Can you help my old eyes find this reference, and does this infer it can't have a latching switch or is it a setting in the pedal setup? Thanks again.

Lee

Can anyone describe what denotes a momentary switch? Is this a hardware "thing" or is it just a matter of choosing "momentary" in the selection section of I/O:pedal? If it is a hardware thing, is the latching type of hardware somehow acting twice, so the end result of a push does nothing? Would manually shorting across the tip to sleeve, verify the pedal jack on the Axe is working properly, since that seems it might mimic a momentary switch? Am I completely off base on this?? Thanks for any input.

Lee

The description of values indicates you need a true momentary toggle--each press/release triggering max/min or min/max value, which is what happens w/ a momentary switch & type set to latching. The manual doesn't explain that completely.

Momentary means the hardware changes to the other state & back with each press & release, like a typical keyboard sustain pedal. A latching switch would require 2 presses per scene change, or 4 if you set type to momentary.

Bakerman, good to know as this isn't visible in the Pedal menu of the Axe, might be a good feature to add to the pedal menu selection for scene increment and decrement.

They're at the I/O: CTRL page.

Bakerman,

After some detective work, I found part of my problem. I was using the old footswitch from my Mesa MKIIC+ (the channel switcher with the LED) and couldn't get anything at all to happen. I finally pulled the cable out of the footswitch and using the leg of a resistor, shorted the tip to the sleeve. I'd set the pedal parameter up so it would increment the patch, so I'd know if I was getting anywhere. As soon as I touched the two together I saw the change on my front panel. So, the manner in which the old footswitch is wired, I'm assuming potentially because of the LED in the circuit, prevented it's functionality. I grabbed the other MKIIC+ footswitch (the one for eq and verb) and still using the TS cable, was able to get activity from one of the switches (no LED on either). So, it's still not perfect, since it doesn't have the momentary type of switches and like you'd mentioned, I have to press it twice to get one change in the scenes setting, at least I can finally do something without the need to take my hands off of the guitar. Thank you again for all of the helpful info. I wish I could afford an MFC so I wouldn't need to beat my head against the wall, but at least its a soft wall. Haha.

Thanks to all that replied.

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom