Any chance for a FC-18 in the future?

Furay

I like the 21 switches of the MFC
Layout is a slower solution and add another FC pedalboard is a problem when you've already have pedals around the controller.
No chance for a FC-18 in the future?

With per preset layouts and all switches allowing for dual function, and all switches can be any function, are you really that concerned?

Think about the scenario in which you do the MOST changes in a single song. Can you accomplish that with 12 buttons? If so, then what is the problem?

Remember, this is not the MFC where you essentially have a single static layout for everything...

Adjust your mind towards a per song approach and your outlook will likely change.

I would wait until they are released or the manual is released or some demo videos start showing up to determine if 6 or 12 buttons will not be enough. Cliff has said before, the III is not the II. I'm guessing the same goes for the controllers. The FC's are purpose built for the III which when paired together, may result in a 'ah ha' moment for everyone in regards to how many buttons they really need. But until then, who knows!

With per preset layouts and all switches allowing for dual function, and all switches can be any function, are you really that concerned?

Think about the scenario in which you do the MOST changes in a single song. Can you accomplish that with 12 buttons? If so, then what is the problem?

Remember, this is not the MFC where you essentially have a single static layout for everything...

Adjust your mind towards a per song approach and your outlook will likely change.

This approach assumes you know ahead of time all the combinations you'll want or need. If your on a session and the producer asks, "let's hear that with a flanger". He doesn't want to hear, "oh, I'm sorry. I don't have that programed into my scene. Everybody take five while I program a new scene." It also doesn't allow for inspiration or spontaneity. I don't want less options available than a guy with a traditional pedal board.

This approach assumes you know ahead of time all the combinations you'll want or need. If your on a session and the producer asks, "let's hear that with a flanger". He doesn't want to hear, "oh, I'm sorry. I don't have that programed into my scene. Everybody take five while I program a new scene." It also doesn't allow for inspiration or spontaneity. I don't want less options available than a guy with a traditional pedal board.
You have 12 layouts... That is WAY more options than what the MFC supports.

I didn't say anything about scenes...

And if the producer wants a part with the Flanger, I'd pull up a layout with the Flanger on it.

I like the 21 switches of the MFC
Layout is a slower solution and add another FC pedalboard is a problem when you've already have pedals around the controller.
No chance for a FC-18 in the future?

This is just a guess but I would say no because the Axe 3 won't power two FC-12s without a wall wart. They do daisy chain up to 4 with wall warts. The Mastermind GT 22 does well if you want to sell a kidney to get one. I have used a Helix for two years now with 12 switches and it might take two button switches half the time to get what you want. It is really how complex the preset is and what you are wanting to do. As long as you can use 8 scenes to do what you want, you will only have to press one button. I like just pressing one button and like more buttons, but I don't see that happening without daisy chaining. I set my Helix up with 8 snapshots (scenes) had and up and down bank, a function switch and tap ( when held is tuner) With that setup I had 8 scenes available, If I pressed bank up a selection of 8 presets would show, then the function would show 10 stomps. I setup the Helix every way I thought and to me this was the least button presses for any given action.

This scenario has nothing to do with anything. Again, people who have never had used an advance controller might have a tough time wrapping their heads around this. I imagine a common setup for the FC12 will be able to have the "first page" be for preset and scene switching and then have a second page for "common" block switching. So in your scenario, you would just use, for example, a long press on your bank up switch to switch to page 2 and then you would be all set. Not a big deal. Having more buttons would, at most, save you one button press.

Compare this to the MFC, which has way more buttons. But in that case, say you don't have any button programmed for Flanger on/off, because there are only so many buttons and you use other blocks more often. Given you scenario in that case, you would be truly screwed. I mean not really, because you could always switch the Flanger on manually from the unit, but you get the idea.

Austin

No, but you COULD potentially have IAs on a different layer, so your main layer contains mostly scene switches and an up down, or perhaps a preset select, or whatever, where you have most of your likely changes setup ahead of time (Clean sound, Rhythm sound, Lead sound, Edge of Breakup, Spacey echoes, whatever), and then you have a second layer that's just all IA switches for your 10 most likely to "maybe I wanna kick it on if someone asks or the whim strikes me" block changes for the scene (Flanger, Drive2, Drive3, Drive XY, Amp2, Amp2 XY, Pitch, whatever), and then a third layer for your mostly less used effects in the patch, a 4th for your reaaaally less used effect IAs). You're on your main layout, you cycle through a couple presets, go to the lead tone scene, producer says, "ooh, I like that, give it to me with a flanger?" "Okay, one sec", step, reveal layout two, step, kick on button labeled flanger, "ooh you're the man".

You can daisy chain an FC-6 and an FC-12. There's your FC-18.

That is the answer.

I could see daisy-chaining two FC-12s together for maximum control.

One would be only preset and scenes select along with tuner/tap and bank/preset control -- the "main preset/scene control."

The other would be the individual drive block on/off or "latch" controls, etc. Be interesting to see if functionality let's you step through all four channels of a drive block sequentially with one single switch (and LED show you what it is as you do it).

Not sure if it could host 8 exp. pedals though if daisy chained, but we'll find out! I actually need 4 foot exp. pedals to do what I do with my MFC 101.

Yes believe it or not it is going to be available!!! The FC12...and a FC6 = FC18!!!!

Sigh.

As I said in the original post, FC12+FC6 would be very large compare to an MFC, and it's kind of expensive
I'm surprised to be the only one needing instant access to different fonctions,
Layouts and long press switches are fine when you know which presets you will use in a song, but if you want to improvise, and recall a synth lead sound for example, you don't want to deal with layouts

As I said in the original post, FC12+FC6 would be very large compare to an MFC, and it's kind of expensive
Layouts and long press switches are fine when you know which presets you will use in a song, but if you want to improvise, and recall a synth lead sound for example, you don't want to deal with layouts

I can understand you :) It would be better choise FC18 for me, too. And I know, that 12 = 6 gives really 18, but it's not the same '18' ;) For me 'better 18' is 3 x 6 rows of buttons (in one unit). In my live rigs, ussually, every effect has his own place (button), and when I play, I always know when to find it. When you have more buttons, it's much easier to do it.

But FC12 is quite enough for me. 12 internal + 4 external switches gives me what I really need. 2 x 6 rows of switches, every with LCD gives many new options. There is nothing wrong witch more switches, of course ;)

Only one thing I really want is a working status diods for external switches (latching or momemntary), cause without it usable is lesser.

And, maybe second shy wish ( :D) => possibility to use free (unused) exp pedal conectors on FC for next ext switch.
My logic is: in Axe FX 2 and Axe FX 3 we can connect exp pedals or switches to its expression inputs. I don't need more that 2 expression pedals, but I could really love next 2 switches. Maybe technically it is simmilar (?)

So, there are many questions about new controllers and I hope will be answered really 'soon'.

Greetings!

Your not the only one. I'm currently considering the RJM Mastermind GT.

Your FX improvising will always be limited to the blocks saved in the current preset. A dedicated foot switch for a block will only work if that block already exist in your preset. Either way it's going to take some planning.

All other things being equal, more is more. Because of this I certainly understand the desire for an FC18. Any argument made for the FC12, other than a relatively small amount of stage or pedalboard space, only applies more to another row of buttons that do what the other version buttons do. This is part of what I love in the MMGT. Layers are great, not needing layers... greater!

I said “relatively” above because it is relative to what you want. In other words, I’m glad they didn’t come out with only an FC18, and in that size comparison this is already better than the MFC-101. Options are always good and I’m glad the player needing a smaller pedal doesn’t have to have 12 unneeded buttons and the accompanying size to contend with.

This next bit is a little off topic, and I’m not wanting to hijack, but as it appears FAS is watching the needs of players, competing product successes, and suggestions from Axe FX users specifically and are making what tags all those bases best. I’m more surprised there isn’t a “built-in EV-1 expression pedal option” than more buttons, frankly, as that’s such a popular part of other successful platforms.

Anyway, I am looking very forward to seeing what the FC series can do when they arrive. I would bet money they’ll meet the needs of most players. Of course, that doesn’t mean they’ll admit it! :D

Last edited:
Only 12 buttons is still not acceptable, but my position has changed.... slightly. I was of the opinion that I don't want less buttons. I've been spending time learning the power of the RJM Mastermind GT. I was thinking that I wanted the 22....but I'm leaning towards the 16. Having some buttons do double duty, having an entire IA page and toggle switch for banks makes it doable. I mention this in case it's helpful to others trying to sort the controller saga.

although I know it is one button press away you basically have a FC24, you just press the layout button and it loads page 2 .
also if this works per preset that gives a ton of flexibility to have Stomps, Looper ,presets ,scenes all pretty fast to access depending on your needs

Back
Top Bottom