Any bedroom only players using an Axe-Fx 3?

For me it's all about getting consistent, good amp tones at reasonable volumes. The Axe just sounds better than a tube amp with an attenuator.

getting divorced, so am now a living room only player :)

gonna just echo what these guys are all saying: it sounds amazing, either through my 1x12 EVs or headphones, so i’m inspired to pick up the guitar and play whenever i want. it’s easy to record from, and i won’t need to upgrade if i ever start gigging.

I'm not even an average player, but I do play in my bedroom.
I am very content with the product.
20190501_165057-jpg.54482
IKEA BRIMNES Nightstand. The perfect bedroom enclosure for the Axe-FX III :cool:

I recently sold my Xl+ specifically to offset the cost and purchase a 3. Haven't done it yet because I've been second guessing it. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it as a bedroom only player?

When I had the XL+ I would dial up pretty basic patches. Mostly Amp-Cab and some type of reverb or delay. I also got to the point where I felt most of the amp models that were in the same category, sounded similar.

I sometimes feel I'm not deserving of it, as I only noodle around, play a few licks here or there, some riffs. Maybe a total of 30 min - 1 hour couple nights a week.

At the same time, I want to start recording more. I've recently got into electronic music and I feel that maybe I can use the axe fx to come up with weird guitar tones.

I've thought about maybe waiting for a FM3, but I think knowing me I would always be thinking in the back of my mind that I didn't go for the flagship.

How do you bedroom players justify this piece of equipment?
Getting good sound in a bed room is the hardest thing to do. The Axe FX 3 is your best chance of finding it.

At the same time, I want to start recording more. I've recently got into electronic music and I feel that maybe I can use the axe fx to come up with weird guitar tones.

I've thought about maybe waiting for a FM3, but I think knowing me I would always be thinking in the back of my mind that I didn't go for the flagship.

How do you bedroom players justify this piece of equipment?

If you are, or aspire to be, a recording musician these days, that necessarily means you're a home studio/bedroom musician :). So, you're in the same situation as most other recording musicians when it comes to your recording venue and shouldn't feel guilty about aiming high when it comes to choosing your equipment.

I recently purchased the AXFX3 and I really like it. I think the question of whether it's justified depends on your financial situation. It doesn't matter if it's in the bedroom/studio or used professionally.

What I've experienced in my short time of usage, I really like it....and it has it's place. I have zero regrets. Though I disagree it's the only good option. There are more expensive options and less expensive options that work very well. I hear some folks state they like it better then any tube amp or other setup and that's fair to say, it's their opinion and they are all subjective to the persons ear.

I often wonder when I read posts when I see folks comparing their unit to past experiences if they owned and used other high end gear. For example, I have both BE100 head versions, among other heads, I can compare them to the AXFX3 and say the AXFX3 emulation is similar but not the same. It's emulating the real thing, and it does it well, but it's not the real thing (my opinion of course on tones). My Diezel VH4, another great head...Marshall etc...all great pieces. There's other software emulation that I've used which is also very good with a far less investment. Amplitube for example (just picking one, but since I have that as well, I'll mention it), it's quite impressive and has it's place. It's also an all in one emulation based gear that does allot of things well. One could argue that for bedroom use, this (and other software based solutions), are a far better option.

In summation to answer your question, if you have the funds, it's a great unit. I wholeheartedly recommend it. If funds are tight, other computer emulated products as I've mentioned previously can be a better option. These give you many sound possibilities with little cost of purchasing many components i.e. pedals/amp combos.

Good luck on whatever decisions you make!

I'm also a bedroom only player, and like you went from the XL+ to the Axe3. I'm sure that part of it is my increasing knowledge of how to use the Axe, but I find the 3 to be a huge improvement and very much worth the money. To me, the cab sims on the 3 make all the difference - the stock ML, YA, and OH cabs sound incredible (and the ML Freeman cab pack pretty much answers any mid-high gain issues you might have).

A couple reasons justify it to me. One is that, as someone who used to play live and now works a dayjob, my time for jamming is pretty limited, and sound is a factor as I live in a neighborhood and am married. So having something that has an incredibly high quality headphone jack and is operable from my laptop is really necessary; I tried doing the Two Notes Torpedo + 100watt head thing and it just never worked out in the way I wanted it to. This is something that is easily usable at home, and because it's so easy to dial in, I don't have to spend a lot of time tweaking - I can mostly just sit down with a guitar and have the tones I want ready to go immediately. And if I do have more time to tweak, it's incredibly easy to make very satisfying and distinct presets. So part of it for me is just that I have limited time to play, and I want to spend that time enjoying the instrument. The Axe 3 is the best and makes the 30 minutes to an hour of playtime I get per day a real joy.

The second reason - and this is an economic one - is that the Axe 3 has fully and completely killed my amp GAS, saving me a ton of money on trades and buying/selling amps. Before this, I owned a ton of tube amps and cabs - BE-100, DS40, Butterslax, Mesa mark series, Tone King, and on and on - and I could never find one that did everything I wanted and fit my circumstances. The Axe 3 slays every other option to me. I've literally never considered going back to tube amps since I got this, and that for me is worth its weight in gold.

I say take the jump. You're right that if you buy the FM3 you're always going to be thinking about the Axe 3. It's worth the money, and you won't regret it.

Bedroom player here as well. I’m loving the III it’s a monster, i was actually doing some test recording with it yesterday and it sounded better than the II i used to use.

I'm a bedroom player. I have had fractal axe III but i use very simple rig, so sold it and played my amp with loadbox and ir, now i have uad apollo with its plug-in and is amazing. Is not cheap but apollo plug-in are fantastic, in my opinion better that fractal. Of course there are less effects, zero versatility, is only for home.

I use apollo twin mkII with its pluging for amp and effects and bias fx for other effects.

Home user only, but I play 2hrs + daily so it's worth it to me. If I only played a couple hrs a week as you say you do I'd probably just use the Neural DSP Plini -sounds great ($125).

I'm a master bedroom and basement player. My wife and I, along with a few dogs and cats, sleep in the smaller bedroom.

I still have my Axe-Fx II XL+ but sold my Axe-Fx II MKI to buy an Axe-Fx III. I use a FAMC Liquid Foot+ LF+ PRO+ and LF+ 12+ to control my II and III and plan to buy at least 2 but maybe 4 FC-12's. I play my II more than my III because I've been too busy to transfer all my presets and setup my LF+'s. I'll start using my III more once I get a FC-12.

I also still use my Line 6 POD Studio UX2 with POD Farm to record quick ideas. I'm thinking about getting a Line 6 HX Stomp and the Helix Native plugin for an additional $99.

It's all about simplicity and convenience for me.

Back
Top Bottom