Any bass players using FRFR?

chrisjnyc

Power User
My bass player is going to be without his Ampeg amp for the next couple of months. Trying to set him up to use my powered FRFR PA speakers. Since its being used for guitar mostly, it is not geared for a lot of low end (10" speaker). How are you guys getting low end thump from a PA speaker?

What I did was bought a used Hartke Kick Back 15" bass combo amp.

I got a pointer from a pro musician I know to try one out.

It is a great reasonably portable solution for an on stage bass monitor. A decent amount of thump and not too large to transport.

Very happy with this vs. my Atomic CLR for bass. The CLR actually works well but I was so used to hearing a proper bass rig, the Hartke does it.

Would prefer not to drop $750 on a temporary solution... Would a 15" PA speaker help?

Actually, 15" PA is the temporary solution.
Additional sub would be the permanent solution and you don't need to replace your current 10" PAs.

That $750 sub does more than a $1200 one.

Edit: I just realized what you meant by temporary.

Last edited:
I'd suggest Craig's List or haunting the used market for a loud-but-ghetto uglier than sin bass rig for cheap $$$, and then flip it when your bassist gets his rig back. IMHO if you don't spend the coin on proper FR gear for bass with PLENTY of headroom, you'll be disappointed, especially if you are looking for a lot of low end THUMP. The caveat here is that you can get away with nothing fancy FR PA cabinets for bass if you're playing small rooms that don't like it too loud to begin with.

I've kicked this can around for years, and most of the time now I use a pair of passive Atomic CLRs and a power amp. In small rooms, this is enough to cover the low end. In rooms with a full PA system that includes instrument reinforcement, then the bass amp on stage only needs to be so loud, and the more low end "thump/boom" coming off my rig, the more my bandmates turn up and/or give me the stink-eye. So I don't really even tempt it anymore and I'm happy with cabinets that bottom out around 80hz, powered by an amp with plenty of clean headroom designed to handle bass.

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom