Any bass players rocking a III yet?

I am very curious how Axe III handles bass compared to the Axe II and if Fractal will develop the bass section more in the (near) future.

Based on what I've read and listened with clips regarding the increased dynamic range, I would think the 3 will be quite a bit improve for bass.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback @selta I'm about the same place on the list, maybe a few mins behind you.

Just got my invite. I'm mulling it over. $2500 is quite the chunk of change to drop. The II and AX8 are still serving me well, and I can't find a great, compelling reason why - as a bass player - I should jump on this at this time. I'll just have to make up my mind here real soon.

I'm sure it is at least as good as an Axe-Fx II and/or AX8. I just don't see a compelling reason to buy a III with the history around bass models being what it is, and nothing really expressing any change to that going forward. Would love it if I could justify it even by saying "Oh yeah, new bass amp models are coming", but I can't. Ugh.

Mine's coming tonight. I'll need to create a whole new bass preset for it from scratch, but I'm sure it'll be a bit better than the II in some ways, and a lot better in others. More bass amps and cabs would always be welcome and appreciated though.

Maybe all that CPU will finally enable Cliff to tackle some bass amps he hasn't been able to before, like some of that GK growl or some Aguilar punch.

Maybe all that CPU will finally enable Cliff to tackle some bass amps he hasn't been able to before, like some of that GK growl or some Aguilar punch.
I didn't think that processing power was the limitation for adding bass amps. It certainly didn't stop additional guitar amps from being added regularly.

I will be recording both bass and guitars on my new record with the Axe III. Will keep you posted once I start building out my bass presets (not started yet).

I started on my first bass preset over the weekend. Attempting a rock bass tone with varying levels of grit. There are enough decent cab impulses in this to do a decent job, and I think I settled on an already mixed cab that had 2x15, and added in a nice 4x10 that complemented it well. I don't recall exactly which ones they were, but there are plenty of options in the cab area to suit most people's needs.

I split the chain at one point, with the top row going into a clean FAS Bass, and the lower row going into a drive and then the Ampeg model set for some breakup, so I can push it with the drive if necessary. I generally like to mix in clean with a driven bass tone when I do bass, and it is getting there. I rejoin them chain at the cab, and then have a few effects after that in case I want to stomp on some modulation, which I use subtly sometimes on bass, but not often.

I keep the amps set the same through all scenes, and set scene 1 with no drive (except for the slight drive of the Ampeg), and the 2-5 have varying tones with different levels of drive to get a little more grit. I'm still working on it, and I think I was starting to get some ear fatigue from tweaking too long, so I probably need a couple of more good sessions before I get my bass player buddy over to borrow his ears and playing skills and finish it up.

Just do it! :p You know you want to!

I'm sure it is at least as good as an Axe-Fx II and/or AX8. I just don't see a compelling reason to buy a III with the history around bass models being what it is, and nothing really expressing any change to that going forward. Would love it if I could justify it even by saying "Oh yeah, new bass amp models are coming", but I can't. Ugh.

Just got my invite. I'm mulling it over. $2500 is quite the chunk of change to drop. The II and AX8 are still serving me well, and I can't find a great, compelling reason why - as a bass player - I should jump on this at this time. I'll just have to make up my mind here real soon.
Yeah you probably don't need one, just forward me that invite and you will feel better! :)

I'm pretty certain I'm passing on it. I spent last night digging through and seeing if FAS has said anything about updates for bass, and there has been nada. It's not worth it to me, right now, to spend $2500 just to have the exact same thing I already have.

Back
Top Bottom