Any bands tried this?

will romero

So I've been thinking of an interesting stage setup for a 2 guitarist band. hypothetically if both guitar players have the same equipment (AXE FX II/III and two FRFR speakers/cabs each). so you have two FRFR monitors/cabs behind each guitar player. how cool would it sound if each guitar player runs stereo and does 1 monitor hard pan on their side and like 25% (or mix to taste on the) opposite guitarist's side? and of coarse each going into PA as well (mix house stage wedge to taste for each guitarists' needs). I think if you could find a good formula that works with minimal tweaking between venues it would just sound so good for the audience.

axe fx setup.png

Does the venue run a stereo PA though? It can sound really cool on stage, but if your the only ones hearing it it probably isn’t worth the hassle

Even if a venue does run a stereo PA, most don’t, think about how it’s going to sound for people on different areas of the venue. It’s the big problem with stereo really.

Keep in mind you can also run into some phasing issues etc with stereo live.

Does the venue run a stereo PA though? It can sound really cool on stage, but if your the only ones hearing it it probably isn’t worth the hassle

Even if a venue does run a stereo PA, most don’t, think about how it’s going to sound for people on different areas of the venue. It’s the big problem with stereo really.

Keep in mind you can also run into some phasing issues etc with stereo live.
Did not even take that into account.

Did not even take that into account.

It’s an easy trap to get into with the Axe since it can do so much, but sometimes you have to stop and think “can anyone in the audience actually hear this the way I am creating it?”

It’s like patches that use multiple reverbs and delays. Sure it sounds awesome and layered with subtle differences listening with headphones etc, but in a live venue it sounds like mud. Mud on top of mud even lol

Our guitar players predominately run mono and your idea is how we mix our guitars with a stereo PA.
I have run stereo with 1 or 2 other guitarists running mono. With 2 mono plus 1 stereo scenario the stereo signal was hard panned L/R and the two mono were in the 25/75 type mix. Sounded great! For 1 mono and 1 stereo, the mono is either centered or slightly panned to the side of the stage they're on, this is dependent upon how many other instruments we have and if we are running loops.

I would not want to hear the delay effects of my band mates signal in the monitor behind me along with my signal, I would want to hear his dry signal. if you really want stereo, run it out front were the sound person can adjust it.

If I need to hear a cross-stage player better, I'll just bump them up in my ears mix (or wedge).

It’s a cool idea. But venues are forever trying to keep stage volume from interfering with the house mix, and for good reason.

If you really want the audience to hear what you described, try your idea in the FOH mix instead.

My 2cts:
Send your signal to the outer monitor, the outside corner is reserved for you only. The middle is were everyone rivals each other, it's no resereved place for a guitar monitor.
Being able to hear yourself from an exclusive direction is an advantage.

To me it is more important that my basic needs are covered rock solid than adding some fancy stuff...I would start that only when all the basic stuff works reliable.

Well really the general idea, in my head at least, is that if people are watching from one side of the stage they'd at least hear the other guitar a bit better. And yeah it would make more sense to put the lower volume cab closer to center. In bands I've played in its pretty much raw guitar with no effects so delays ect... Wouldn't be an issue for me personally.

Last edited:
Well really the general idea, in my head at least, is that if people are watching from one side of the stage they'd at least hear the other guitar a bit better. And yeah it would make more sense to put the lower volume cab closer to center. In bands I've played in its pretty much raw guitar with no effects so delays ect... Wouldn't be an issue for me personally. here's a clip of me playing at come and take ot live in austin. As you can (or can't really) hear, there's practically no stage left guitar being heard.

Sorry, brother. The camera is clipping so hard that it’s impossible to tell what it actually sounds like.

Back
Top Bottom