Any advice on EQ-ing tone?

But this is ax8 bro :( no ares love for us yet :(
Well A1.03 just sounds a bit leaner. You have tried cutting a notch at specific frequencies. Have you tried a bit of shelfing low cut from about 300 on down, as opposed to bandpass filter? That should give different results and you may not need a lot of cut compared to bandpass EQ.

But this is ax8 bro :( no ares love for us yet :(

Wish people would quit saying this. Release notes, AX8 Firmware Version 10.00

oRkIFif.png

Thanks to all!
Today I learned something new... I've been almost a year with my ax8 and all this time my ordersp had this boomy sound that I couldn't remove eq-ing the amp, and I read somewhere that boomy sound can be cut around 250hz, I used to do that but that didn't do anything to my sound so today I used a very high Q with -12db with parametric EQ before everything on my chain and started sweeping slowly, then at 164hz, the boomy sound disappeared... Wow, just wow... Sometimes you just need to give yourself time to experiment with your toys...
Thanks guys, I'll do more research now

One of the keys to why a Shure SM57 works so well with guitars is that it starts rolling off the low end starting at 200hz at about -12db per octave. Dumping the excess low end (its not gone, just trimmed up: like a belt pulling in a big gut) This frees up the mids to punch through. A -12db per octave low cut/high pass filter (in the PEQ) set at 200hz (try in the 150hz - 300hz range): can work wonders. Or more conveniently: use the GEQ in the amp block to approximate that:-1.5db at 250hz, -6db at 125, -12db at 80db: depending on the EQ type selected.

One of the keys to why a Shure SM57 works so well with guitars is that it starts rolling off the low end starting at 200hz at about -12db per octave. Dumping the excess low end (its not gone, just trimmed up: like a belt pulling in a big gut) This frees up the mids to punch through. A -12db per octave low cut/high pass filter (in the PEQ) set at 200hz (try in the 150hz - 300hz range): can work wonders. Or more conveniently: use the GEQ in the amp block to approximate that:-1.5db at 250hz, -6db at 125, -12db at 80db: depending on the EQ type selected.
Could you explain a bit more how does 12db per db works? If I cut 12db at 100hz, the next step is cutting 24db at 50hz? Sorry I'm not expert :(
About the EQ on the amp block, would explain me the "EQ type selected"? Thanks

Could you explain a bit more how does 12db per db works? If I cut 12db at 100hz, the next step is cutting 24db at 50hz? Sorry I'm not expert :(
It's 12 dB per octave, not per dB. that means 12 more dB of reduction for each octave.

For example, we're talking about a low pass filter here. If you set that filter to 200 Hz at -3 dB of gain, then the signal will be reduced by 3 dB at 200 Hz, 15 dB at 100 Hz (one octave down), and 27 dB at 50 Hz (another octave down).

About the EQ on the amp block, would explain me the "EQ type selected"? Thanks
The EQ section of the Amp block has different types (5-band, 7-band, etc.). What frequency bands you have to work with will depend on what EQ type you've selected.

Wow......so many of these threads are so insightful.....I just feel like slapping myself in the forehead and saying *duh!*

As a relatively recent convert to the AX8 from old-school tube amps, I continue to realize how much I have yet to learn. EQ? Yeah, that was whatever sounded "about right" to my ears (playing alone)....sometimes just a single "Tone" pot.......anything else was up to the engineer/sound-guy (if there was one). Since using the AX8, I have been hearing more about cutting out parts of the spectrum which are not really critical for my part in the band (usually low-cut ~ 100 Hz and high-cut ~ 10 KHz), as well as boosting the frequency areas for different instruments, so that all the players have that bandwidth where their instrument is especially present. Makes perfect sense in retrospect......but it has taken me a long time to even realize this.

I guess the old tube-amp strategy of turning every knob to "10" only gets one so far.

This stuff about *where* in the signal chain to incorporate various EQs.....gotta understand that better......

A lot depends on the particular guitar in hand. Since the signal the pickups are putting out is from the vibration of the strings: some guitars (guitar/pickup combinations) are beautifully balanced, while others can be woofing along with out of control low end (a hollow body on a loud stage as an extreme example): Putting a leash on this as early as possible in the signal chain is helpful. That applies specifically to the guitar signal: controlling how that signal is amplified is another aspect. I find it helpful to identify what is best addressed by optimizing the guitar signal (Guitar Controls/Gain/EQ/Noise Gate) and what comes later in the domain of tone shaping with amplification controls and effects.

I keep experimenting, I tried cutting from the amp EQ at 250, 125 and 60hz and sound improved greatly. However I a/b tested my patch with some free trials from sinmix, it is studio ready and there's a huge difference between his and mine... Although it sounds a bit harsh/aggressive (like a chainsaw) to my taste, is sounds so clear, punchy, alive... Don't know how to explain it. I thought I made finally a great preset (I like how it sounds without the excessive low end) but when I a/b'ed with the sinmix, sinmix sounds brutal and when I change to mine it sounds like it has a blanket on it, dull and lifeless :(
I don't know what else to do :(

I keep experimenting, I tried cutting from the amp EQ at 250, 125 and 60hz and sound improved greatly. However I a/b tested my patch with some free trials from sinmix, it is studio ready and there's a huge difference between his and mine... Although it sounds a bit harsh/aggressive (like a chainsaw) to my taste, is sounds so clear, punchy, alive... Don't know how to explain it. I thought I made finally a great preset (I like how it sounds without the excessive low end) but when I a/b'ed with the sinmix, sinmix sounds brutal and when I change to mine it sounds like it has a blanket on it, dull and lifeless :(
I don't know what else to do :(
Inspect sinmix’s preset and yours. See what he did differently.

Back
Top Bottom