Any advice for multi-fx unit in 4CM (NO MIDI)

Thomas Obester

Experienced
Ola guys,

wondering which multi fx floorboard to use with my Friedman JJ ?
It should have relays for amp switching as there is no midi on JJ,
It should be quiet in 4CM and all in one box.
I think the fractal fx8 mkII has that all covered, but it´s already discontinued,
Fm3 has no relays, axe III also no relays.
Don´t wanna go traditional route using stomboxes with xy cables and midi switcher.
I looked for alternatives, read to many complaints about line6 HX effects, especially about buffering, tone suck, etc.
I don´t need unit with amp modeling, IR´s for FOH are welcomed but not mandatory.
Any thoughts ?
thanks in advance !

Ola guys,

wondering which multi fx floorboard to use with my Friedman JJ ?
It should have relays for amp switching as there is no midi on JJ,
It should be quiet in 4CM and all in one box.
I think the fractal fx8 mkII has that all covered, but it´s already discontinued,
Fm3 has no relays, axe III also no relays.
Don´t wanna go traditional route using stomboxes with xy cables and midi switcher.
I looked for alternatives, read to many complaints about line6 HX effects, especially about buffering, tone suck, etc.
I don´t need unit with amp modeling, IR´s for FOH are welcomed but not mandatory.
Any thoughts ?
thanks in advance !
I’m using my ax8 with Mesa dual rec. Think about this. With the relay, like on FX8 you have to run all cables from the floor into to the amp, right? More gear to carry. Good cables are expensive. And there is one per change/channel. In my case, 4 of them. 3 channels plus solo function for the boost.
Well for the price of that, I got the voodoo lab midi switcher. I Velcrod it to the back of the amp head. All 4 cables are short, patch size cables. And it stays there connected all the time. And just one midi cable goes from the unit to the head. (Not counting the other 4 for the 4cm). If I haven’t done that I would have 8 cables. Also, I have my patches with amp and can simulations in there. So if there’s a problem with my amp for whatever reason, I can just go direct. Or if it’s a big club with kicking PA and good stage monitoring, I just go direct to the mixing board.

I’m using my ax8 with Mesa dual rec. Think about this. With the relay, like on FX8 you have to run all cables from the floor into to the amp, right? More gear to carry. Good cables are expensive. And there is one per change/channel. In my case, 4 of them. 3 channels plus solo function for the boost.
Well for the price of that, I got the voodoo lab midi switcher. I Velcrod it to the back of the amp head. All 4 cables are short, patch size cables. And it stays there connected all the time. And just one midi cable goes from the unit to the head. (Not counting the other 4 for the 4cm). If I haven’t done that I would have 8 cables. Also, I have my patches with amp and can simulations in there. So if there’s a problem with my amp for whatever reason, I can just go direct. Or if it’s a big club with kicking PA and good stage monitoring, I just go direct to the mixing board.
That´s perfect idea, thank you very much ! :)
EDIT : do you have any noise with AX8 using it this way ? I have read more on this forum, that FX8 is quieter in this scenario.

Last edited:
That´s perfect idea, thank you very much ! :)
EDIT : do you have any noise with AX8 using it this way ? I have read more on this forum, that FX8 is quieter in this scenario.
No, not any. And I use really high gain setting. I can send you the patch I use, and you can try it and tweak it to your liking. I spent a lot of time tweaking my noise gate exanger blocks.
Edit: here’s couple videos of my ax8 with 4 cable method.
First one is with Mesa Dual Rectifier. Dual watt version and 4x12 rectifier cab. Second one with EVH 5150 III 50w and same Mesa cab. They are both phone recordings but sound is descent.

Last edited:
No, not any. And I use really high gain setting. I can send you the patch I use, and you can try it and tweak it to your liking. I spent a lot of time tweaking my noise gate exanger blocks.
Edit: here’s couple videos of my ax8 with 4 cable method.
First one is with Mesa Dual Rectifier. Dual watt version and 4x12 rectifier cab. Second one with EVH 5150 III 50w and same Mesa cab. They are both phone recordings but sound is descent.

I´ll check the videos when I´ll get back to home.
Yeah, would be cool if you could send your patch or just a pic how you set your noise gate block.
Are u using 2 gates ? 1 before pre amp and 1 after for quiet operation ?

thanks a lot, man !
EDIT : Are you also using humbuster cables with your AX8 and for midi switcher ?

I´ll check the videos when I´ll get back to home.
Yeah, would be cool if you could send your patch or just a pic how you set your noise gate block.
Are u using 2 gates ? 1 before pre amp and 1 after for quiet operation ?

thanks a lot, man !
EDIT : Are you also using humbuster cables with your AX8 and for midi switcher ?
Yes and no. I think there’s two gates but not sure. Have to double check. And no humbuster cables. PM me your email and I’ll send them out tomorrow

Yes and no. I think there’s two gates but not sure. Have to double check. And no humbuster cables. PM me your email and I’ll send them out tomorrow
Oki, you got PM.
Please send me also how you have everything hooked up together.
I thought that humbuster cables are needed, otherwise it is noisy as hell - at least that´s the consensus here on forum.
Looking forward to try it with my rig to see, if that could work for me also :)
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom