Any absolute 1st timers?

First Timer for FAS but not modeling. I went various plugins but mainly Positive Grid Amp/FX -> Yamaha THR -> Line 6 Helix LT/Native. It took me a solid month to "get" the FM3, in terms of learning the interface/Edit, how to edit/arrange things, etc.. I can now navigate around the FM3 pretty seamlessly. What I don't have a handle on yet are the THOUSANDS of available parameters on the dozens of blocks and hundreds of FX. But I'm not sure anyone but Cliff knows exactly how every editable parameter works! There is definitely a learning curve, for with great power comes great responsibility. When I say that it took me a month to "get it", I mean that it took that long to become comfortable with navigating, controlling, and creating with the FM3. By "get it" I mean not always having to pause to read the manuals or hit up Youtube or the forums. I was able to make it playable the first day as firing up very usable Factory presets was no problem. I would highly suggest purchasing AustinBuddy's Live Gold Pack as that's a tremendous intro to the FM3, primarily the amp models, and is very intuitive and easy to use.
I find that I don't need many of the advanced parameters and tend to leave them at their default values. YMMV.

First timer to Fractal, not so much to modelers. I have had a POD HD500, Digitech GSP1101, Boss GT100 as far as modelers. Various real tube amp/preamps.(typical 80's refrigerator rack). Really like the simplicity of the FM3 all in one, as well as the audio dynamics and tone. Alot to learn, but worth every minute!

I've had my FM3 for a month now and in finally figuring it out. I'm the odd man out because i love the learning curve. It's teaching me so much about how amps actually work. I like being able to make the sound I hear in my head and not having to rely on profiles or presets

First time Fractal owner here also. I've had my replacement FM3 for a week now and I've found it very easy to get around. The editor makes it super easy to create presets and tweak existing ones but editing from the unit itself is pretty intuitive as well. There are so many parameters per block but I will only end up knowing what I need to know to get what I want out of the unit. So far managed to get some custom lead sounds going which are the best I've ever played through and my LP is sounds phenomenal though it with distortion. My Strandberg is a little anemic in comparison but cleans sound really good. I can't see myself ever needing more than I have now for outboard gear, the FM3 does all I need and more.

Bogner Helios 100w tube amp lover here and my first Modeler was a line 6 Helix, hated it so bought a Victory Super Kraken and never looked back until my buddy played his Axe fx III, and bought my FM3 shortly after and no probs at all, and best of all It sounds really good, just hope she lasts as long as a tube amp

Don't have it yet......but first time buying anything Fractal. On the waitlist for Axe Fx III. I've had a Helix floor which I had a lot of fun with. Mostly play through my pedal board and Marshall. I recently decided I wanted to do some home recording an bought Cubase and Getgood Drums. Soooo much fun. I played through some Neural plugins and used my Helix but after reading a number of things decided to move to the Axe Fx.

I have all the Neural Plugins too and actually pretty darn good and have a place in my workflow but the FM3 does all the heavy lifting, and actually like the Mercurial 101B too, sounds great. The Helix was cool in my recordings but man when I took it out in the real world It fell on its face, but not the Fractal..

First timer too! I'm still on the waiting list but my number should be coming up soonish based on feedback.

I've had a few iterations of Line6 stuff but never loved. Current board has a Shift Line Twin with analog pedals.

Goal with the FM3 is to have a single board with beautiful sounds to run both electric and acoustic. Plan is simple 3 stomp:
Electric: drive (boosted), phaser, delay
Acoustic: boost, chorus, delay

Gonna split this on stage to my IEMs and FOH.

Excited and joined the community to read about other people's setups, usages, best practices, etc :)

Received my FM3 2 days ago and I am very impressed. Long time modeler user and long time tube amp user. This is the best unit I have owned, sound is awesome, feel is awesome. I will be selling off some of my other gear soon. Still getting familiarized with the switches and functions but having been around this stuff for quite a long time, I am very familiar with the terminology. The 3 buttons are going to take a little time getting use to I am already pretty much getting the concept. I am a very happy camper here with the FM3 and will probably get the AxeFx 3 for the studio sometime in the future but I will be gigging with FM3 if they ever open this back up after alleged pandemic. Personally, I ain't buying it and feel by the election all may return to back to normal (whatever normal is) but that is another discussion. 😠

First timer here, I received mine last week and unfortunately had to return it today. Unit sounded awesome and was easier to use than I thought it would be. I just had issues with it freezing and the usb port stopped working today. I could have just gotten another unit for free but I decided to return because I honestly do not trust that the usb port would trouble free for years to come. I'm just not happy that I'm out $42 to ship it back insured. Oh well. lol
But it is an awesome sounding unit.

First timer here, I received mine last week and unfortunately had to return it today. Unit sounded awesome and was easier to use than I thought it would be. I just had issues with it freezing and the usb port stopped working today. I could have just gotten another unit for free but I decided to return because I honestly do not trust that the usb port would trouble free for years to come. I'm just not happy that I'm out $42 to ship it back insured. Oh well. lol
But it is an awesome sounding unit.
I have had a couple freezes when the unit communicates with FM3-edit but that could be and most likely is a software or driver problem and not a hardware problem with the unit. Will be keeping mine as I know Cliff will get these bugs worked out.

First time fractal user here and waiting for delivery. Had a chance to play through an AX8 at someone else’s gig and I was floored. Thankful to finally have the oppty to get a unit and dive in. Gonna have a lot to learn but that’s part of the enjoyment.

First time fractal user here and waiting for delivery. Had a chance to play through an AX8 at someone else’s gig and I was floored. Thankful to finally have the oppty to get a unit and dive in. Gonna have a lot to learn but that’s part of the enjoyment.

you’re going to have a blast. I’m absolutely happy with the tones I’m getting out of this little black box despite the few bugs that hopefully will be addressed soon.

right now I just changed my mind about my favorite amp (again)... jtm45 with get in front. Use volume to go from glassy cleans to edge of breakup glory to roaring Marshall. Unbelievable tone and feeling... I even feel the air behind me pumping my pants

I’m a first time FAS user, and I think given the sheer amount of options the FM3 has, it’s about as easy to navigate as can be expected. I was quite comfortable building patches from scratch pretty quick.

you’re going to have a blast. I’m absolutely happy with the tones I’m getting out of this little black box despite the few bugs that hopefully will be addressed soon.

right now I just changed my mind about my favorite amp (again)... jtm45 with get in front. Use volume to go from glassy cleans to edge of breakup glory to roaring Marshall. Unbelievable tone and feeling... I even feel the air behind me pumping my pants
Haha. Awesome. I think I’m going for a headrush FRFR to use for a monitor for myself. Need to get this soon

Back
Top Bottom