any 8 stringers on here?

Run midiox with your Axe on,

Select the preset you want to send, go to utility>preset>dump preset to either midi or usb (whichever your'e running over).

In midiox go to "View Port Routings" and make sure nothing is in between "Axe midi in" and "midi-ox event port". If so disconnect it in that window (right click)

Then View>"Sysex..."

In the "Display Window", right click and "Manual Dump...". It should say "Waiting For Completion".

On the Axe press enter. It should transfer over.

Once that's done, before you do anything else, make sure the preset is good by sending it back to the Axe. Send it to a preset you don't love, just in case. Right click in the upper window (where your preset just landed) and "Send Sysex". It shouldn't over write anything, but I've seen people who have had it happen. Never to me using this method. Check that your preset is good.

If so, right click in the "display window" and "save as". Then you can upload it here or to Axe-Change.

Ok! hopefully this worked!!
I uploaded 2 patches in this post.
One is a patch that I tonematched with Cubase amp rack and the Meshuggah preset.
The other one is a similar patch but with the stock OH mesa cab.
They sound really good here but may need some tweaking.
Keep in mind that I used a schecter SLS8 with blackouts so you may have to adjust the input trim and/or noisegate settings to your liking.
Hope you enjoy these patches and I hope they work!!

There is a chance these presets will overwrite patches 98 and 99 on your axe fx.
When I wanted to test these patches on my axe I loaded a random factory preset and uploaded the Syx.
The problem was that it didn't seem to load in the patch I was in.
I've had this happen before with patches from Axe change.
Everytime this happens the patches load into another preset so be warned.
I made these patches on preset 98 and 99 so they probably will load there if not in your chosen preset.

The presets went just fine, no over writing to any other presets. Interesting setup, excited to hear it tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

And thank you so much for these in any case, they are really the closest I've heard of Koloss, if it's the same as from that clip on soundcloud.

What's your setup involving the Axe and your taonematching? It's coming out all high-endy, almost no bass, both presets. I'm using the Axe FRFR to monitors, nothing between or studio sennheisers.

work fine for me.
they sound good. im looking forward to trying these at proper volume next practice.
i prefer the second one out of the 2, and i think it will sit in a mix better too.

Ok! hopefully this worked!!
I uploaded 2 patches in this post.
One is a patch that I tonematched with Cubase amp rack and the Meshuggah preset.
The other one is a similar patch but with the stock OH mesa cab.
They sound really good here but may need some tweaking.
Keep in mind that I used a schecter SLS8 with blackouts so you may have to adjust the input trim and/or noisegate settings to your liking.
Hope you enjoy these patches and I hope they work!!

There is a chance these presets will overwrite patches 98 and 99 on your axe fx.
When I wanted to test these patches on my axe I loaded a random factory preset and uploaded the Syx.
The problem was that it didn't seem to load in the patch I was in.
I've had this happen before with patches from Axe change.
Everytime this happens the patches load into another preset so be warned.
I made these patches on preset 98 and 99 so they probably will load there if not in your chosen preset.

This is your patch, how it sounds on my end. I have not edited the patch, bypassed anything (cab is natively bypassed in your patch), nor have I added any post processing or eq to the clip.
Is this how it sounds on your end?

Added a second version, 1st section is how the preset loads (bypassed cab, active tma block), 2nd section active cab and tma block, 3rd section active cab and bypassed tma block, last section both cab and tma blocks bypassed.

Last edited:
working on making something at the moment, id rather go for my own thing than fail to get someone elses tone these days.

Ill check it tonight whasitthat! Maybe i can post a little clip myself.
Ill let you know how it sounds at home

This is your patch, how it sounds on my end. I have not edited the patch, bypassed anything (cab is natively bypassed in your patch), nor have I added any post processing or eq to the clip.
Is this how it sounds on your end?

Added a second version, 1st section is how the preset loads (bypassed cab, active tma block), 2nd section active cab and tma block, 3rd section active cab and bypassed tma block, last section both cab and tma blocks bypassed.

The first one sounds good to me!
Was there a cab block in the tonematch preset? It's not supposed to be there.
The Tonematch will do all the 'cab' work.

Lets give this thread a nice bump!
What's your setup involving the Axe and your taonematching? It's coming out all high-endy, almost no bass, both presets. I'm using the Axe FRFR to monitors, nothing between or studio sennheisers.

Dude, I like your youtube videos, tight playing on those tracks.
How many 8 string guitars do you own and what types?
I was a little bit surprised to see you play a 26.5 scale 8-string.
I used to own a sc608b, it was a cool guitar but the scale didn't cut it for me.
Now I own 2 8-strings, one with 28 inch scale and the other with 28.6.
I would love to get a 30 inch scale model from agile one day.

I've been doing a couple of tonematches recently, some worked really well, others not so well.
I tried matching Catch 33 by meshuggah, the first song features a solo guitar riff but i just can't get it to sound right.
This is probably because of the lack of different frequencies in the riff played for reference.....
Also tried obzen, with the bridge riff but the match comes out too scratchy sounding to me.
I did match the cubase patch again with the latest firmware, it sounds great!
I also matched stengah and closed eye visuals and they also sound great.
Do you want me to post my presets?
Feel free to share your sounds too!

Any other isolated riff parts in 8 string meshuggah songs that i can try to match?
I can't think of any more songs that could be matched properly...

Back
Top Bottom