any 8 stringers on here?

I also own 2 8-string guitars and have owned several.
The schecter has great build quality and plays and sounds great.
I didn't have any trouble at all setting it up with low action without fret buzz

I bought a Schecter Hellraiser FR Limited about 18 months ago online. Mine was a Pro Guitar Shop only model. Special in the fact that they had used a Reverse EMG in the neck position, that leaves the neck-most coil on, when in single coil mode. This allows for the two outside coils to be on if both pickups are selected AND in single coil mode, allowing better phase cancellation, than would be possible with a standard EMG neck pickup. I want another one, in fact I would love to have 2-3, each with different style pickups. It is heavy and has a huge neck on it. It is constructed like a neck through Les Paul, that is shaped like a Strat and has a Floyd Rose.

I don't have plans to play an 8-string, but I wanted to jump in and say, that my Schecter looks and feels like a guitar 2-1/2 times the price I paid. Mine has a heel-less neck thru joint, sort of like the neck joint on the Les Paul Axis, which was developed in collaboration with Neal Schon.

I highly recommend Schecter guitars to anyone who will listen. A lot of my friends are Gibson/Fender purists, but their guitars are not as true or stable as mine. I went to a rehearsal last night. I pulled the guitar out of the case, where it had been all week, and it was right on the money, in tune. I didn't have to touch a tuner. Pretty impressive with winter cold climate change and a fully floating bridge.

Keep rockin' all you 8-ers and 9-ers....

important tip, get a setup. In my world it's alpha & omega. I first had it done to my rg1527. What a gamechanger! Now it plays like butter! before? ew! I could now enter a guitar shop and take down a rg1527 from the wall, play it, and not like it. I've done that. It did not have the proper setup. I like my string-action really low so when AVH guitar repair (Allen Victor Hunter, same guitar tech as Meshuggah's using) did my setup, I was amazed by the playability.

Same thing goes for my 8-string. that was even worse! I tried the rg2228 in a shop before I bought it, it was the worst setup on a guitar I've ever tried! I hated it..

But i still ordered the guitar because of my experience with setups on my rg1527. So I got my rg2228, played it. ew! hated it.. Took it for a setup at AVH guitar repair, plays like butter! I even like it more than my rg1527.

Bottom line, if your guitar don't have a proper setup your not allowed to bark at it IMHO. Is it shit? do you really don't want to play it and kind of hate it? get a setup! You'll fall in love with it and you'll give your guitar what it deserves!

Just got a Shecter. Plays as well as my USA and Jap guitars.
It's a Damien Elite 8, with EMG808s
I'll say more when I've explored it with the AF2 and my amps a little more

Count me in! I'm using a rg2228 and I simply love it. made some patches for it in axe-change.

For a clean sound try this one (love it, it's round and very open/breathing): Axe-Change - Download Preset - Mr. Benson - by Cobrango

For a distorted rythm sound I offer you this one: Axe-Change - Download Preset - DC 8 Strings7 - by Cobrango

now... tell me what you think all you 8 stringers out there! :)

I have the RG2228 as well. I hate it :p
I also dislike the 808's
You are probably wondering why I bought it. I got it really cheap and I thought that it was the guitar that Tosin used for his albums. I found out, that it's not. He used a custom luthier made (the ugly one) and then the Strandberg for the second album. He only uses Ibanez Live.
I felt kinda ripped off, but that serves me well for being stupid and misinformed.
Anyway, I'll try those presets, I might like them :)

A friend of mine is maybe going to buy my RG2228, and if I can afford, I might get a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8 or the new Damien Platinum 8.
28" scale length, just the way I like it :)

awesome!! glad this is taking off abit more now.
may aswell have a go to place for us ERG guys.

UK guys, where are you getting your strings? i was about to order some from cirkle k, but the shipping is $42 straight off so not to happy about that just to see if i like them before ordering in bulk.

i have to say i now love my fanned frets!! a few weeks to get us to, but now its so much easier. its not an extreme fan, 26.5 - 28 but its so comfortable.

i have SS fret on my DC800.... not sure about the ping, but they will last forever and they shine a lot!

for string, i go to juststrings.com

not sure if they ship to EU, but in canada, they're a super good deal! (for me at least since i can choose string by strings...)

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
I had a schector damien elite for a while. I never played it (I didn't know how:?). I made the jump from 6 to 8 and it confused the shit out of me. It collected dust for a while before I sold. I bought a seven string and am more than happy with it.

woah! both your guitars are beautiful! RockerAlex and vondano. They have quite more soul than my rg2228. Mine is just... black.

I also own 2 8-string guitars and have owned several.
...but 27 inches is just a bit too short for my liking so I ended up trading that one for an Schecter SLS C-8...

DAMMIT

I was always under the impression the SLS's were still 26.5. The SLS is a bit thinner as well if I remember correctly...

How's it compare to the standard 8's Schecter makes? I don't really care too much about what pickups come in it, as I would probably go for some Lundgren M-8s. I have the Hellraiser C-8 myself, and was always a bit apprehensive about it as for the scale length (26.5) gives the low F some flubbery dubbery...

May just have to get myself an SLS. Considered briefly an Agile, but I like to try before I buy.

For some vids, check my signature, or here.

DAMMIT

I was always under the impression the SLS's were still 26.5. The SLS is a bit thinner as well if I remember correctly...

How's it compare to the standard 8's Schecter makes? I don't really care too much about what pickups come in it, as I would probably go for some Lundgren M-8s. I have the Hellraiser C-8 myself, and was always a bit apprehensive about it as for the scale length (26.5) gives the low F some flubbery dubbery...

May just have to get myself an SLS. Considered briefly an Agile, but I like to try before I buy.

For some vids, check my signature, or here.

I haven't played any other schecter 8's but I own a atx c7 (white with blackouts) and I used to own a red c7 with emg's.
The quality on those 7 strings is just great so I would imagine the other 8string models to be equally good.
Keep in mind that most of the other schecter 8strings are 26.5 and I wouldn't recommend that for f# at all, let alone in lower tunings like f.
I really like my sls because of the longer scale, playability and quality.
Also keep in mind that the pickup routings are large because of the active pups.
If you want to insert passives it could look ugly or you have to add pickup rings...

On another note, has anybody come close to meshuggah's sound for koloss or maybe their current live sound?
For koloss they used cubase (wich I also own) and they used amp rack wich is a cubase amp modeler.
Its pretty basic but it can sound quite good!
Cubase 6.5 came with presets made by meshuggah and they sound a lot like the koloss tone actually.
Pretty much gain but with a lot of clarity.

I also really dig their axe fx live tone but they only use the ultra and Fredrik doesn't own a II.
I mailed him a while ago to ask for tips on making a good 8string tone.
He told me he doesn't really remember how his patches were set up because he made them so long ago.
He did tell me they use the recto new model wich isn't in the axe 2.
Does anyone know how that amp model sounds?
Is it comparable to the recto models in the axe 2 with fw 9.02?
Are there any models in the 2 that sound like new recto from the ultra?
I don't want to exactly copy their tone, but it would be a great startingpoint for a great 8string tone.
They have a huge sound, with quite a bit of low end. The bass guitar fills up mid and sub frequencies for the most part and they have a LOT of clarity, quite a lot of gain but not overly saturated.
Check out the tone from koloss to hear what I mean.
Any help would be awesome although I'm very close I haven't found the perfect 8string tone just yet.

Check out the tone from koloss to hear what I mean.

Koloss covers

I read somewhere here that Fred basically crossovers his signal to two amps, somewhere round 800hz, I can't vouch for that personally but I've tried it and it's not that bad. There's also YOUR tonematch that was pretty much dead on, and I messaged you about it on Soundcloud, you never answered!!!

Heard that they use the recto red channel somewhere else too...

i think the vast majority or 'shuggas sound is bass tone to be fair, i think thats why nobody gets that close.
and why its so tight (besides the usual things)

20121211_175424.jpg

i think the vast majority or 'shuggas sound is bass tone to be fair, i think thats why nobody gets that close.
and why its so tight (besides the usual things)

View attachment 14890

Holy crap, I just dialed in the PERFECT 8-string tone!!
I also tonematched the meshuggah sound from the Cubase preset!
Now someone please tell me how to upload patches without axe edit and I will upload them ASAP!!!!!
I am now 100% perfectly happy!

Koloss covers

I read somewhere here that Fred basically crossovers his signal to two amps, somewhere round 800hz, I can't vouch for that personally but I've tried it and it's not that bad. There's also YOUR tonematch that was pretty much dead on, and I messaged you about it on Soundcloud, you never answered!!!

Heard that they use the recto red channel somewhere else too...

Sorry I didn't answer, I don't check soundcloud regularly.
But it wasn't a tonematch, it was one of Fred's Cubase presets.
I tonematched it just now, so all I need to know is how to extract patches from my Axe II to upload them for you!!

Back
Top Bottom