Any 2 FRFR cabs users - mono or stereo?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
I'm taking delivery of a Matrix NL212 tomorrow which I'll be testing as a non FR cab but seeing (hearing) what the extended range can do with the AxeFX and Matrix GT1000FX combination over my 2 1x12 EV loaded Marshall cabs.

I'm still in 2 minds over going fully FRFR - If I do jump it will likely be the passive version of either a Matrix FR212 or Q12 or Atomic CLR (cab shapes for all not wedges) and use them with my GT1000FX

The question (finally): I see there are a few users that have 2 CLRs or 2 Q12s etc. - so I'm wondering if any of you use your 2 FRFR cabs in a stereo set up? Does it work? Are there unpleasant phase/comb filtering interference issues due to the wider dispersion of the concentric speakers?

I like stereo on modulation fx and some delays in my backline even though the stereo field width is compromised to the point of nothing it still sounds clearer to me and, I'm the only guitarist in my band so a (not too wide panned) stereo feed works quite well in the FOH when the venue merits it.

If I go with a Matrix FR212 cab then I'll definitely be back to mono tho - don't want 2 of those big boys :)

But 2 Matrix Q12 passive cabs or 2 Atomic CLR passive cabs would be portable and give both channels of my power amp something to do .... albeit that they would be close together on the poxy stages I get to squeeze onto most of the time.

I'm in EU zone (Ireland) so unfortunately Xitone and Mission (I think?) options are not feasible because of shipping and import duties.

Thanks for looking.

I use 2 CLR's, all my patches are stereo. I also use a Behringer x32 producer, and we run a stereo mix out FoH.

This is a pic of my setup, here I am tuning my LED lights, but the CLR's/MFC micstand layout is how I set up on stage.

No problems with comb filtering or phasing, and the FoH puts out the same stereo signal exactly, completely untouched.

Lately I've gone to IEM's for monitoring though. less to carry, less to set up, and less to worry about damage, less overall volume, and still 100% stereo.... Oh yea... playing small watering hole bars with stage real estate is a premium too.

IMG_0167.jpg

Last edited:
I use two Xitone cabs in stereo with the cab sim's on and the EVh cabinet "dry" with the cab sim's off to create a "hybrid" rig that sounds incredible!

20150326_120821_resized.jpg

When I use 2 CLR I run stereo and it sounds great on stage (audience probably can't tell the difference.) Never any audio issues using two cabs.

Even when I'm stereo on stage often the house is just mono, so my patches are set up to be mono-compatible. Same for times when I don't have the inclination (or stage room) to haul both CLR. I just use the L output and off I go.

TT

do stereo. people standing far away will hear it mostly as mono so there aren't any issues.

Back
Top Bottom