Any “must watch” videos for Fractal Newbie?

Rather than immediately jumping in to assigning foot switches, I'd recommend first trying the built-in OFM9G layout, which is very flexible. See page 104 in the manual. Then, as you learn more about the unit, and how Fractal does things, start nosing around in the foot-controller layout manager ("FC Edit" in the editor).
Cool thanks. I do remember reading about that layout and thinking it would be perfect for me, and easy to switch between presets and scenes, etc.

The other thing I’d recommend is to practice patience. There’s literally a boatload of information out there and you cannot absorb it in a week or even two or three depending on how much effort you put in.

The basics are fairly simple. Start with the delivered presets and play around with EQ. Demo IRs and initially stick to 5 or so that you’d typically use with each amp. Use the Ideal page to tweak the EQ.

Intermediate: look into master, input gain, and input trim interplay. Do a parallel signal chain example. Set up a controller for a wah. Look into block deep editing. Load up some profiles from Burgs and Leon Todd and pick apart what they are doing. Experiment with what you can get away with on CPU use in particular reverb quality. Mess around with amp speaker combinations that you might not normally consider.

Thank you - that’s good advice. I do plan on taking my time and starting simple, and then working up from there. You gave me some good guidance on what to look into next…

If you go to YouTube and search FM9 or other Fractal gear and if you see the name Leon Todd, you’re golden.

The Complete FM9 Master Class will be available in December! You can pre enroll at http://classes.coopercarter.com
Quick question: How much time do you spend instructing on how to edit “on device” versus in FM9-Edit?

I recently discovered in a couple recent jam sessions that I’m really hamstrung away from my computer. While I’m comfortable getting around the basic editing in FM9-Edit, I’m lost editing presets or blocks on the device itself, so I need to spend some more time learning there…

Quick question: How much time do you spend instructing on how to edit “on device” versus in FM9-Edit?

I recently discovered in a couple recent jam sessions that I’m really hamstrung away from my computer. While I’m comfortable getting around the basic editing in FM9-Edit, I’m lost editing presets or blocks on the device itself, so I need to spend some more time learning there…
Similarly to the FM3 Master Class, the FM9 version will include a sizeable preliminary section on the unit itself before moving into the majority of the class, which will be done in-editor.

Similarly to the FM3 Master Class, the FM9 version will include a sizeable preliminary section on the unit itself before moving into the majority of the class, which will be done in-editor.
Thanks. But I have not experienced the FM3 Master Class, so comparing to that is not helpful. The comment “before moving into the MAJORITY of the class,w high will be done in-editor” concerns me.

Here’s a specific question: Many videos I’ve watched will show all the setup stuff on-device - I/O, global settings, load layouts, Etc. But then they move to the editor to build presets, edit blocks, etc. Does your course show how to create a preset and edit the blocks on-device? And how to make adjustments to block on-device quickly when at a gig? Common things like boosting a drive or volume or tweaking an EQ?

The Complete FM9 Master Class will be available in December! You can pre enroll at http://classes.coopercarter.com
Pretty sure he was saying Dec 2021. Now it’s Jan 2022.

Thanks. But I have not experienced the FM3 Master Class, so comparing to that is not helpful. The comment “before moving into the MAJORITY of the class,w high will be done in-editor” concerns me.

Here’s a specific question: Many videos I’ve watched will show all the setup stuff on-device - I/O, global settings, load layouts, Etc. But then they move to the editor to build presets, edit blocks, etc. Does your course show how to create a preset and edit the blocks on-device? And how to make adjustments to block on-device quickly when at a gig? Common things like boosting a drive or volume or tweaking an EQ?

Pretty sure he was saying Dec 2021. Now it’s Jan 2022.
Not to be that guy, but I will: have you read the manual?

It's really pretty easy to do most things from the front panel.

See page 16 for a quick start and then the section starting on page 40.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf#page40

When the Axe Fx III (which uses the same interface) first came out there was no editor for a few months. Front panel was the only choice... It's so much easier than on the Axe Fx II where I mostly avoided using the front panel.

Back
Top Bottom