Any “must watch” videos for Fractal Newbie?

Not to be that guy, but I will: have you read the manual?

It's really pretty easy to do most things from the front panel.

See page 16 for a quick start and then the section starting on page 40.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf#page40

When the Axe Fx III (which uses the same interface) first came out there was no editor for a few months. Front panel was the only choice... It's so much easier than on the Axe Fx II where I mostly avoided using the front panel.
Hey Unix-guy,

No worries at all. I have read through the manual, and I do intend to sit down with my FM9 and the manual in hand and power through to learn some on-device editing. Reading is one thing. I need to now experience it / apply it. So that’s the plan.

I was just curious how much content that “master class” would have “on device.” I’m a visual learner, and appreciate well done videos, and thought that might be a worthwhile purchase if it contains a fair amount. But if it’s primarily “editor tutorial” - I may not find it worth the purchase. So that was the nature of my inquiry.

Hey Unix-guy,

No worries at all. I have read through the manual, and I do intend to sit down with my FM9 and the manual in hand and power through to learn some on-device editing. Reading is one thing. I need to now experience it / apply it. So that’s the plan.

I was just curious how much content that “master class” would have “on device.” I’m a visual learner, and appreciate well done videos, and thought that might be a worthwhile purchase if it contains a fair amount. But if it’s primarily “editor tutorial” - I may not find it worth the purchase. So that was the nature of my inquiry.
All in all, I would say the front panel operation is mostly intuitive... But I get your desire.

I think just spending a little time actually trying it will be well worth the effort.

From a different point of view, Cooper's Axe Fx II course (which I purchased) was very well done and I suspect he's gotten better at them since then. So unless your totally averse to using the editor the course is well worth the money.

Not sure if your intent was just to learn the front panel or bigger than that?

All in all, I would say the front panel operation is mostly intuitive... But I get your desire.

I think just spending a little time actually trying it will be well worth the effort.

From a different point of view, Cooper's Axe Fx II course (which I purchased) was very well done and I suspect he's gotten better at them since then. So unless your totally averse to using the editor the course is well worth the money.

Not sure if your intent was just to learn the front panel or bigger than that?
I appreciate the feedback. I’m not averse to using the Editor at all - I quite like it and that’s what I’m using to manipulate my presets currently. I’m just saying the learning curve “seems” steeper on the front panel than in the editor, and I feel like I’m making strides with the editor on my own (with the help of Leon’s and Austin Buddy’s videos, etc.). So was just hoping Cooper covered both.

It’s just that my “acute need” at this point is being able to feel comfortable editing some blocks on the front panel because I needed to do that the other day at a jam session and didn’t know how, LOL. I was able to just browse to a more suitable preset, but it would’ve been nice to be able to quickly edit a couple blocks on the preset I was using, but I just haven’t gotten there yet. :)

Good to hear that you felt his earlier course was well done - they certainly seem to be. I’ll most likely purchase it when it comes out for the FM9 - since this is my first Fractal - there’s still a ton I haven’t explored or learned yet…

Yes, we've decided to delay the release until summer for various reasons. An official date will be coming soon, promise.
Got it, thank you. I’m continuing to learn how to make my way around, but there’s still so much to learn, so I would love to have your video course as an extra asset…

@Cooper Carter - any update on the FM9 Master Class?

Would love an ETA. I am planning on diving in deep to learn all I can about Fractal and the FM9 when i get my daughters off to college this month and have more downtime. Would love to know if this is going to be available soon to take advantage of. If not, no worries. :)

Hey folks. With the FM9 release, Fractal finally has the form-factor I’ve been waiting for! So I’m anxiously awaiting mine, and looking forward to diving into Fractal-land and experiencing what I’ve been missing. 😊

I’ve watched Leon Todd’s Axe-FX III “basics” series and recent FM9 videos which are awesome, so I‘ve learned a lot already.

Are there any other “must watch” videos you would recommend I check out?
I like the videos from Leon Todd, g66 and rosh roslin.

Back
Top Bottom