Anxiously awaiting FM3 firmware 5.0 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same codebase so issues that apply to the FM9 largely apply to the FM3. You can read the FM9 firmware thread to see that there are significant issues like editor slowness/unresponsiveness, low frequency oscillation, freezes at various points, outputs not working. For a Fractal beta that sounds particularly buggy. Which is understandable because this is a pretty huge update with several months worth of Axe-Fx 3 updates.

I know all of us are anxious to get our mitts on the new stuff, but I don't mind waiting more to get a beta that mostly works without issue. Splitting to FM3 vs FM9 issues is just more work for Fractal's team so when they have it working mostly on the FM9, FM3 is ready to have a beta as well.
To be fair, editor slowness was a thing before 2.0b. Hope they soon release another update that nails that down and the issues with switches plugged into the pedal jacks.... 😊

It's been a while without update , you gonna have to rename it again :)
My inner monologue, when reading the thread title, tends to go to "I'm running out of fingernails and am unsure of what to chew on next. A firmware update would be nice to sink my teeth into, no?"

Having said that, I really hope everyone at FAS, and all of you reading this had a nice and relaxing holiday season! I have a feeling it's gonna be a doozie once it drops.

Last edited:
I just read all the posts in the FM9 Beta 2 Thread - previously I only just skimmed through them - lazy :)

There appear to be a lot of issues with FM9 B2 across a wide variety of scenario's - I'd hate to be the one listing and tracking them down for FW fixing.

Given what I read, I wouldn't expect a new Beta " 3 " for the FM9 for at least another few weeks - whether we get FM5 Beta for the FM3 at the same time would be a 50/50 bet at this stage i.m.o given the multiple issues being reported.

Ben

I just read all the posts in the FM9 Beta 2 Thread - previously I only just skimmed through them - lazy :)

There appear to be a lot of issues with FM9 B2 across a wide variety of scenario's - I'd hate to be the one listing and tracking them down for FW fixing.

Given what I read, I wouldn't expect a new Beta " 3 " for the FM9 for at least another few weeks - whether we get FM5 Beta for the FM3 at the same time would be a 50/50 bet at this stage i.m.o given the multiple issues being reported.

Ben
Since both the FM3 and FM9 share code, I would expect all the issues in the FM9 to be resolved prior to the release of the FM3. But what do I know?

Still no scene list font change.
I still totally blown away how something that is designed to sit on the floor, on a dark stage, still has the exact display text size as its rack-mounted counterpart. It’s actually amusing. Do people actually test these things in real-life scenarios when developing them or do they remain on a desk? While my eyes aren’t extremely bad, I still have issues with the text size. It’s actually smaller than the labels for the majority of the buttons in the unit. I guess the CPU doesn’t have enough ass.

/rant

No pitch update (and if i'm reading right there will never be an update) and no USB power - my two main hopes for the last year 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
No pitch update (and if i'm reading right there will never be an update) and no USB power - my two main hopes for the last year 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pitch I undrestand, the FM3 simply doesn't have the DSP HP needed, but the USB-A power, that would likely be trivial, so hopefully...

I still totally blown away how something that is designed to sit on the floor, on a dark stage, still has the exact display text size as its rack-mounted counterpart. It’s actually amusing. Do people actually test these things in real-life scenarios when developing them or do they remain on a desk? While my eyes aren’t extremely bad, I still have issues with the text size. It’s actually smaller than the labels for the majority of the buttons in the unit. I guess the CPU doesn’t have enough ass.

/rant
Have you ever had to design to cost? Would you rather adding $600 to the price tag for a different screen, forcing a different shape, forcing different video code, forcing a thousand other unintended consequences that can drive cost out of control? Have you ever thought about how many different downstream effects a font change can have on the entire Fractal design environment?
These are all extremely important factors in putting out a product or family of products. We make fun of engineers for doing the same things over and over again, writing new code on top of old code instead of a clean sheet, but we never think of the cost or complexity involved. Even the slightest change can have massive "Butterfly Effects" everywhere else.

Be thankful that Fractal aims high and has lofty goals but takes a sensible, methodical approach to what they do.

Have you ever had to design to cost? Would you rather adding $600 to the price tag for a different screen, forcing a different shape, forcing different video code, forcing a thousand other unintended consequences that can drive cost out of control? Have you ever thought about how many different downstream effects a font change can have on the entire Fractal design environment?
These are all extremely important factors in putting out a product or family of products. We make fun of engineers for doing the same things over and over again, writing new code on top of old code instead of a clean sheet, but we never think of the cost or complexity involved. Even the slightest change can have massive "Butterfly Effects" everywhere else.

Be thankful that Fractal aims high and has lofty goals but takes a sensible, methodical approach to what they do.

Cliff has previously mentioned that this entire line of modular units was conceived long ago. Something simple like the text size should have been considered during the design process. Even the AX8 has a "Persistent Large Display" setting for presets. I may be in the minority, but compared to other options in this price range, this should be an included feature. Oversight or poor design. Period.

Moreover, Matt has already mentioned that the engineer is working on this, so most of your points are moot.

From the FM9 forum there seem to be a few issues / bugs with FM9 FW 2.0 so my guess is that they will want to iron them out and incorporate them into FM3 FW5 ... so it could well still be several weeks (?)

Ben

Well ..... not for the first time ..... I was totally wrong ..... kudos Fractal :)

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom