Anxiously awaiting FM3 firmware 5.0 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to sound like a smart ass but if 40% of my songs were in Eb, I'd simply have another guitar tuned to that.
It would sound better, but I really dont want to have to bring 4 guitars to each show. Plus, there are 2 songs that we do that are a full step down. So that would make 5.

I hope that the latency issue described in a bug ticket somewhere here in the forum gets fixed. While doing usb recording the latency reported to the DAW is wrong.

I hope that the latency issue described in a bug ticket somewhere here in the forum gets fixed. While doing usb recording the latency reported to the DAW is wrong.
I don't believe any Fractal devices report latency to the DAW... I might be wrong.

This has already been answered, but I thought I'd give you an idea of how I have things set up.

That’s a very in depth explanation. It’s obvious that you’ve put a lot of consideration into this.

I get roasted by my band if I use a capo 😂
They’re all jazz guys so I won’t use one if at all possible.

But it sounds like we play different styles, so I can see how your approach is really helpful in your situation.
I play jazz and am fluent in all 12 keys… and I still use a capo for certain things.

Mainly for sound. With a capo, the open strings are always sounding between chord changes. You lose that w/o a capo if you’re trying to replicate open string chords/changes… no matter how proficient you are.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I just noticed this yesterday. Playing a solo on a backing track I’d made, using the FM3 as an interface and recording the output direct into Logic (not reamping), the recorded track was a good way off. This was with latency compensation engaged in the program. I had to manually nudge it back until it was in sync. Having to do that after every take was a real pain and makes me question the value of using the FM3 as an interface at all.

Don't mean to sound like a smart ass but if 40% of my songs were in Eb, I'd simply have another guitar tuned to that.
Also with a second Eb-tuned guitar, if the band has only 10 songs, this would permit to alter the key between every song and at least add 10 minutes of podium time related to guitar changes between each song...just kidding.

I just noticed this yesterday. Playing a solo on a backing track I’d made, using the FM3 as an interface and recording the output direct into Logic (not reamping), the recorded track was a good way off. This was with latency compensation engaged in the program. I had to manually nudge it back until it was in sync. Having to do that after every take was a real pain and makes me question the value of using the FM3 as an interface at all.
Check the USB Buffer Size in the I/O Menu of your FM3.

I am using Cubase and I tried to compensate with a fixed sample offset in Cubase. Unfortunately I think the latency varies. It‘s just a recording issue because you don’t notice that while playing through monitors or headphones. You can also use the analog outputs and go into another interface for recording but I don’t want to add additional AD conversions.

I am using Cubase and I tried to compensate with a fixed sample offset in Cubase. Unfortunately I think the latency varies. It‘s just a recording issue because you don’t notice that while playing through monitors or headphones. You can also use the analog outputs and go into another interface for recording but I don’t want to add additional AD conversions.
I'll save @GlennO the work of referring you here ;)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/

The thing is, if you played all of your E songs, then played all of your Eb songs, that would be a viable solution (or just tuning); but if you mix them all together, the wasted to to swap guitars starts to add up. I used to be pretty good at guitar changes, but my lead guitarist is not; since he uses in-ears and a wireless system, it's a mess watching him try to change guitars mid-set lol. Luckily, he jumped on the Variax train right about when I did :)

Using Reaper, I need to send a click track on a round trip through the FM3 and count sample shift before each recording session. I have no idea if it's my laptop bogged down with other stuff.

Using Reaper, I need to send a click track on a round trip through the FM3 and count sample shift before each recording session. I have no idea if it's my laptop bogged down with other stuff.
It isn't your laptop - Fractal are looking into this as the offset should be reported by the unit to Windows via the drivers.
It is quite customary (certainly with other interfaces I have used) for interface windows drivers to be update over its lifetime which address performance and issues like this.

It isn't your laptop - Fractal are looking into this as the offset should be reported by the unit to Windows via the drivers.
It is quite customary (certainly with other interfaces I have used) for interface windows drivers to be update over its lifetime which address performance and issues like this.
Speaking of USB drivers…does everyone know that new drivers were released on Dec 10, 2021. I only realized this by accident. I have installed them, but haven’t had a chance to do any testing. I have no idea what is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom