Anxiously awaiting FM3 firmware 5.0 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe due to being less powerful, this a point at which, feature-wise, you simply have to step up to the Axe III, and in terms of what you save by having less guitars, it's ok? Or apply the same thinking to the FM9, if you must have that form factor (assuming it uses the same pitch algorithm the Axe does; I can't recall.) Just a thought...
I would think they could port over something very similar. I mean the hx stomp does and it’s not nearly as powerful as the fm3

This is always a tough crowd to keep happy! It would be "neat" if there could be alternate firmware where you could run the more CPU hungry algos of the III or FM9, but at a price where you'd be limited to X blocks or lower resolutions per block in general. I'm sure once hints of the Axe IV comes about next year the Axe III people will want some IV goodness/capabilities to trickle down as well! ;)

Maybe due to being less powerful, this a point at which, feature-wise, you simply have to step up to the Axe III, and in terms of what you save by having less guitars, it's ok? Or apply the same thinking to the FM9, if you must have that form factor (assuming it uses the same pitch algorithm the Axe does; I can't recall.) Just a thought...
Well, I already have the Axe Fx III; but it is the form factor that I need and the FM9 is too big. I could go back to just using the Axe Fx III, but I really like the convenience of the FM3. We'll see. If it doesn't get the updated pitch block, I may just sell it and go back to using the Axe Fx III and FC6.

Update: after a successful beta of FM3 5.0, we're taking a few days to get the latest Axe-Fx III changes brought in. This is something we feel is definitely worth the time, including another round of private beta scheduled to begin this week or next.

Hi Admin M@ !

Now that FM9 FW 2.0 is out, do you think FM3 FW 5.0 is realistically only a few days away or are we realistically still looking at another week or two or more ?

Totally cool either way .... just curious more than anything :)

Thanks again for all your efforts and all the best,
Ben

Hi Admin M@ !

Now that FM9 FW 2.0 is out, do you think FM3 FW 5.0 is realistically only a few days away or are we realistically still looking at another week or two or more ?

Totally cool either way .... just curious more than anything :)

Thanks again for all your efforts and all the best,
Ben
That post is already a ”week or two” old. In my R&D experience it would be odd not to have the FM3 roll out soon. Like tomorrow. IMHO if it doesn’t rollout before Christmas then I would feel the FM3 is definitely not getting the same attention as the AxeIII and FM9. Which would be a bummer. Again IMHO.

Was mainly curious it being only 8 days before Xmas / Holiday shutdown so if it was still a week or so away I wouldn't imagine they'd want to release such a major FW during the shutdown period with no support available ....... just thinking out loud ..... no drama's and totally cool either way :)

Ben

For me personally I hope theese will be ported to FM3 at least.

• New 'MUTE' options for OUTPUT 1 MODE and OUTPUT 2 MODE cause only processed audio to be muted. USB audio will still be routed to and heard at a muted output, enabling certain applications when using a DAW with input monitoring.

• Added global Speaker Impedance Curve. When set to DEFAULT the speaker impedance curve used when selecting an amp model is the default curve for that amp model, otherwise it is the selected curve. NOTE: this does not affect existing presets. The selected curve is used only when selecting a new amp model. Also added several new Impedance Curves; thank you to Dr. Bonkers Soundlab for these.

The impedance curve has a massive effect of overall-tone and should be adapted to the speakers used.
    I made copies of my main presets and adapted the curve and especially the resonance frequency to my different speakers.
    Monitors, FRFR, Headphones and Cab.
    With this feature this would be easier to change on the fly if needed for every preset.
    E.g. playing over stage monitors present at location or Cabs from co-band and so on.

Serious question…

Why is virtual capo useful? Do you use it like a keyboard player uses transpose? Or is it a genre specific thing?
This has already been answered, but I thought I'd give you an idea of how I have things set up.

On my iPad, I use the OnSong app to organize lyrics and song notes. It can send MIDI also, so I have it send MIDI via a Bluetooth dongle to my FM3 (and also out to my Kronos Keyboard). I have another Bluetooth page turn pedal that scrolls through the song and then goes on to the next song. Before a gig, I organize the 45 songs or so from our 200 song repertoire into one set. This allows me to effectively be able to scroll through the whole set without touching the iPad OR the FM3 for preset changes.

But here's the brilliant part: Along with preset changes (PCs in MIDI handle these; technically 'program change'), I can also send control changes (CCs in MIDI). In my preset with the Pitch Block set to Virtual Capo, I have MIDI control set to the pitch "shift" control. This means that when I scroll to the song "When I Come Around" by Green Day, it automatically changes to the preset with the Virtual Capo and downtunes my guitar by 1/2 step. Then, I'll go to "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit and it changes to my general use preset without any pitch block. Then I go to Fall Out Boy's "Sugar We're Going Down" which is quite difficult to sing in the recorded key, so it changes automatically to preset with the Virtual Capo but this time tells the pitch to drop by 1 whole step.

It took some big brain and some time to get it all set up, but it's SO worth it. You can keep the show going without having to change guitars, spend time tuning, or even needing to remember that it's down tuned. My other guitarist, unfortunately, doesn't have Fractal gear and we occasionally start songs and he's either still downtuned or forgotten to downtune, whereas that's all automatic in my setup. Now, I use a Variax and for a couple drop D songs, I'll occasionally forget to switch it back to regular tuning lol. All part of the fun. A lot of bands, including ones I've been in over the years, will simply just play EVERYTHING with their guitars tuned to Eb. But that makes it difficult to practice the songs along to the recording and especially difficult to work on harmonies unless you bust out some recording software and manually re-record the songs a half-step down. The corollary to this, of course, is that songs that are already a half-step down sound authentic without any adjustment. But the songs recorded in normal tuning far outnumber the songs recorded a half-step down or some in-between tuning (a few of those nasty fellers out there).

TLDR - the Virtual Capo (or any device that does what it does) is an awesome way to play cover songs authentically (or to alter songs to make them singable for guys with less range than the recording artist) without needing to stop the show constantly to retune :)

This has already been answered, but I thought I'd give you an idea of how I have things set up.
On my iPad, I use the OnSong app to organize lyrics and song notes. It can send MIDI also, so I have it send MIDI via a Bluetooth dongle to my FM3 (and also out to my Kronos Keyboard). I have another Bluetooth page turn pedal that scrolls through the song and then goes on to the next song. Before a gig, I organize the 45 songs or so from our 200 song repertoire into one set. This allows me to effectively be able to scroll through the whole set without touching the iPad OR the FM3 for preset changes.

But here's the brilliant part: Along with preset changes (PCs in MIDI handle these; technically 'program change'), I can also send control changes (CCs in MIDI). In my preset with the Pitch Block set to Virtual Capo, I have MIDI control set to the pitch "shift" control. This means that when I scroll to the song "When I Come Around" by Green Day, it automatically changes to the preset with the Virtual Capo and downtunes my guitar by 1/2 step. Then, I'll go to "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit and it changes to my general use preset without any pitch block. Then I go to Fall Out Boy's "Sugar We're Going Down" which is quite difficult to sing in the recorded key, so it changes automatically to preset with the Virtual Capo but this time tells the pitch to drop by 1 whole step.

It took some big brain and some time to get it all set up, but it's SO worth it. You can keep the show going without having to change guitars, spend time tuning, or even needing to remember that it's down tuned. My other guitarist, unfortunately, doesn't have Fractal gear and we occasionally start songs and he's either still downtuned or forgotten to downtune, whereas that's all automatic in my setup. Now, I use a Variax and for a couple drop D songs, I'll occasionally forget to switch it back to regular tuning lol. All part of the fun. A lot of bands, including ones I've been in over the years, will simply just play EVERYTHING with their guitars tuned to Eb. But that makes it difficult to practice the songs along to the recording and especially difficult to work on harmonies unless you bust out some recording software and manually re-record the songs a half-step down. The corollary to this, of course, is that songs that are already a half-step down sound authentic without any adjustment. But the songs recorded in normal tuning far outnumber the songs recorded a half-step down or some in-between tuning (a few of those nasty fellers out there).

TLDR - the Virtual Capo (or any device that does what it does) is an awesome way to play cover songs authentically (or to alter songs to make them singable for guys with less range than the recording artist) without needing to stop the show constantly to retune :)
That’s a very in depth explanation. It’s obvious that you’ve put a lot of consideration into this.

I get roasted by my band if I use a capo 😂
They’re all jazz guys so I won’t use one if at all possible.

But it sounds like we play different styles, so I can see how your approach is really helpful in your situation.

That’s a very in depth explanation. It’s obvious that you’ve put a lot of consideration into this.

I get roasted by my band if I use a capo 😂
They’re all jazz guys so I won’t use one if at all possible.

But it sounds like we play different styles, so I can see how your approach is really helpful in your situation.

Hahaha yeah, the short answer is it’ll let you drop/raise the pitch of your guitar/bass with enough accuracy/no artifacts to stand in for another guitar/capo.

I've never downtuned with pitch shifting. I remember doing it manually in the 90s to cover some Black Sabbath songs and feeling the strings becoming a little like spaghetti :D I suppose that could be cool doing it without actually doing it physically, but don't you hear two sounds at that point? The original acoustic pitch of the string and the transformed one?
My band does about 40% or so of our songs in Eb. So manually down-tuning our guitars is not really an option. The Digitech Drop pedal is the best solution at this point in time. The FM9 just received the improved pitch block and now I can retire my Drop pedal for that rig. Looking forward to Fractal porting to the FM3.

My band does about 40% or so of our songs in Eb. So manually down-tuning our guitars is not really an option. The Digitech Drop pedal is the best solution at this point in time. The FM9 just received the improved pitch block and now I can retire my Drop pedal for that rig. Looking forward to Fractal porting to the FM3.
Oh? That's great news! So it's noticeably better? Is it as good as the Axe Fx III's?

I'm always fascinated by this. I've never had that percentage of songs in a different tuning (I guess trying to stay faithful to the 80's when that was popular?) only a handful, and those were typically open tuning types of things which warranted bringing a second guitar. Never worked with a singer who asked to play in Eb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom