Antares ATG-1 demo by Larry Mitchell

pretty cool...but am i understanding it only does the shifting/tunings on what it receives from the midi pup? so you couldn't pitch shift your actual guitar?

still something very cool and useful either way.

I've played the Peavey guitar that has this on-board. While I didn't like the guitar itself, the auto tune idea is pretty nice. I don't remember how good the latency is but I'm sure it's as good as say a Variax.

BTW, notice the Axe in the background? ;-)

Uh - wow. That was not only inspired playing, but inspired usage of the technology. I got the impression that he used the piezo pickup in the Godin ...?

Sounds great, and seems really cool and useful!

Need to hear it without the backing track.

I checked out the Antares guitar with this tech and their own pickup in it at NAMM last year. It was scary. Absolutely undetectable latency and incredible sound.

They did a proof of concept test where they pressed a button and every string tuned to E. You could play any note on the neck as fast as you wanted and they were all right there, again with no detectable latency. Scary.

Last edited:
An auto tuner and guitar modelling in a floor configuration. This looks interesting. Perhaps they will bring out a rack version at some point.

Terry.,

This looks really cool. I think I want one. What I'm wondering now: how good does it sound? Are there any more "exotic " models (dobro, banjo, sitar, mandolin etc)? Can it output midi notes? If the answers are excellent, heaps and yes... Then I must have this :)

The last big update (v3) was a substantial upgrade in terms of sound. They modeled several guitars/pickups to the T. I've installed a few of the onboard "luthier kits" which comes with a hex pickup similar to the Roland. It can be controlled using onboard encoders, midi or their own "fret control" where each string is a function and each fret is a value. So if you wanted to change the tuning to say... Drop D, you would hold down the volume knob and pluck the A string at the second fret. There is no sitar/banjo/dobro yet, but they may come in the future. It cannot output midi at this point but they are looking into possibly adding that in the future. It uses an 8 pin Din (not 13 pin) to perform software updates and/or power the unit.

The last big update (v3) was a substantial upgrade in terms of sound. They modeled several guitars/pickups to the T. I've installed a few of the onboard "luthier kits" which comes with a hex pickup similar to the Roland. It can be controlled using onboard encoders, midi or their own "fret control" where each string is a function and each fret is a value. So if you wanted to change the tuning to say... Drop D, you would hold down the volume knob and pluck the A string at the second fret. There is no sitar/banjo/dobro yet, but they may come in the future. It cannot output midi at this point but they are looking into possibly adding that in the future. It uses an 8 pin Din (not 13 pin) to perform software updates and/or power the unit.

Arghh! Are you serious about not outputting MIDI? It does have a MIDI in/out/thru on the rear panel, and I just ordered one from sweetwater based on the desire to drive MIDI synths with this! Please confirm!

Sort of answering my own post here... I downloaded the ATG-1 manual and scanned the MIDI section (1 paragraph) and found:

"MIDI Channel (Global) Dialog 'Global MIDI Channel' This Global control the MIDI input channel. You can select 'omni' for all channels, orchannels 1 to 16 specifically. There is currently no MIDI output occurring from theATG-1. "

BUMMER! This is one of the main features I wanted to use the unit for. I imagine they plan/will need to add this feature moving forward, but other than the AXE_FX, I have little faith in software/firmware future features, and especially the timetables involved. Double Arg!!

Is anyone else using MIDI 13-ping guitar outputs into a MIDI converter that is keeping you satisfied? Please let me know - I may be in the market soon.

Back
Top Bottom