Another X / Y Question

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I set up the X Quick Button to go to the AMP Block and Y to the Cabinet Block. No problemo.

Now, when I'm in the actual Amp Block, I want to set the X Button to "Boost Off" and Y to "Boost On." I then want to set up the MFC to have IAs for X and Y.

According to the manual, the X button is the saved state of the preset (Amp Block - Boost Off). The manual then says to set the parameters to whatever setting you want the Amp Block to switch to, then hit Y, then save. Everytime I hit the Y button, it switches to the Bassman Amp. Anyone know why it does this? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong or is the manual not giving the correct instructions?

Press Y button first, then make the settings you want for the Y state and save. That's what the manual says on page 46 at least.

Maybe the patch you're editing already has Bassman selected for the Y state.

Try changing the Y amp to the amp you want. It doesn't have to be the same amp and some presets might have been set up with two different amps, one of them being the baseman. I think if you start from scratch then both x and y amps will be the same. But you can make them any two you want. You may just have to copy the setting and just make the boost on off selection you want and hit store.

Larry

Yep Larry is right. Just swap the amp out. Took me a few to figure out u can switch the amps for the x/y settings.

Thanks, but can someone go to patch 8 which is the Plexi patch and see if it does the same thing. It is a single amp patch. It seems overly complicated to have to change or copy all the amp block settings from X to Y when all I'm doing is turning on the Boost in the Plexi patch. I would have to make sure every single parameter is the same.

Thanks, but can someone go to patch 8 which is the Plexi patch and see if it does the same thing. It is a single amp patch. It seems overly complicated to have to change or copy all the amp block settings from X to Y when all I'm doing is turning on the Boost in the Plexi patch. I would have to make sure every single parameter is the same.

That's exactly what you have to do though. They are two distinct channels. You have to set each channel as desired.

Not that it does you any good right now but I would think this would be easy once the new AXE-EDIT is released.

It's way easy to do from the front panel! Amp X page 1 view settings, press Y change settings to match. Move to page 2 press X view settings press Y change settings.. Repeat until last page is changed. Play guitar on X. Switch to Y play guitar if they sound the same you've succeeded. Now make the slight adjustment you wanted to make to Y and your done. It should take you 2 minutes? Having the editor will be great but taking a little time to learn and feel confortable moving around on the axe fx II will do you good, especially when your on stage and need to make a quick change and there ismno computer around. :0)
Larry

Thanks!. Yes, I agree that having to match parameters is a good exercise at first (although it took me 10 minutes first go around to match parameters). I guess I can see the reason to have it default to BassGuy, but it would be easier if Y started out with whatever was loaded into X. I'll assume that most of the time, users will use this as a sort of Virtual Channel Switcher for the same amp (especially for single channel amps like most Fenders and Marshalls) as opposed to having it set to a totally different amp since you can just add a new Amp Block for that purpose. Not a complaint, whine or whatever, just an observation. Yes, either Axe-Edit will make this easier to do or a function to copy the X setting to Y or have the X as the starting point for Y.

Don't have II til Tuesday, so I'm not sure, but could you use global amps for this? Pick x, set to global, go to y, pick global.

Don't have II til Tuesday, so I'm not sure, but could you use global amps for this? Pick x, set to global, go to y, pick global.

That would work; however globals are separated by x's and y's. You might not be able to drop global x into global y. (have the II, but have not gotten nearly far enough to start playing with global blocks yet)

That's exactly what you have to do though. They are two distinct channels. You have to set each channel as desired.
Seems like a good case for a "Copy X to Y" function. That could dramatically reduce tweak time for those who only want to change a few parameters.

Back
Top Bottom