Another V10 Preview

Wow, can't believe I've never thought to try two different cabs or mics. Do you guys normally just run them in series or route them in parallel? Not sure how the sound would be different, if at all. I'm going to try it.

Wow, can't believe I've never thought to try two different cabs or mics. Do you guys normally just run them in series or route them in parallel? Not sure how the sound would be different, if at all. I'm going to try it.
Yes, parallel. An easy way to do that is to use a single stereo cab with a different model for each side. You can pan them both to center if you're running in mono.

I allways do this. Usually without mic on one side. R121 sounds good, but sometimes feels a little boxy-ish to me.

2 cabs and a 57 combined with no mic gives ME the best feel.

I use OH beta, Top boost blue and Mesa OH in some kind of combination. Works with every amp.

The air knob in the cab block balances the high freq's. It is essential to me. Probably the only "advanced" parameter i use.

I very often use two cabs and often it is the same cab with different mics and maybe a bit of delay on one mic.
Would it be possible/worthwhile to combine the 57/121 eq into a single axe FX mic setting to save a cab block?..or add a 'mic 1', and 'mic 2' option in the cab block?

Last edited:
Would it be possible/worthwhile to combine the 57/121 eq into a single axe FX mic setting to save a cab block?..or add a 'mic 1', and 'mic 2' option in the cab block?

If you chose one cab block and chose stereo mode, then you can have two different cabs in one cab block and each cab can have their separate mick.

It just seems like a lot of guys are putting in 2 Hires cab blocks for the sake of the 2 mics. In the real world, you would mike the one cab with 2 mics - so maybe that could be mimicked in the Axe with combined mic options in the Hires block

You could capture two hires blocks with a TMA and export it as a usercab and use it.
And if you want to you can capture following EQ blocks too
That should save a bit of cpu power and make it easier to select 'your' cab combinations.

IMO the better the amp modelling became the less complicated cab settings are necessary. The advantage of two blocks compared to one is getting smaller and smaller with each step of the modeling. That's a great thing.

2 hi res blocks take up to much CPU. IMO. Two low res and one stereo cab is enough. I am willing to bet very few people an tell the audible difference in a live setting

2 hi res blocks take up to much CPU. IMO. Two low res and one stereo cab is enough. I am willing to bet very few people an tell the audible difference in a live setting

Between hi res and lo res there is no difference for the stock cabs (at least the ones I looked at) the energy dies out before you get to the point where the hi-res would come into play.

Both the Bassman and 5150 models seem to have a bumped presence thing going on.....

I think we can say that Cliff will likely always do 'amp, Axe' - not just because he has done so, but because a) he's a straight shooter, and, even more poignantly, b) because he has a sense of order.

Cannot share the IR itself, contains copyrighted IRs.
The mix recipe (for example to use in AOM DSP):

BasketweaveG12H30s-R121-CapEdge-3in
BasketweaveG12H30s-SM57-Cone-0_5in
BasketweaveG12H30s-U87-CapEdge-2in
MarkIIC_EV12L-R121-Cap-4in
MarkIIC_EV12L-SM57-Cone-0_5in
MarkIIC_EV12L-U87-CapEdge-2in

I created those in mixIR2 with your settings and the OB Mesa Cab which is slightly darker. I like the result, thanks for sharing.
BTW, I created two blocks in mixIR2 with no panning in the IRs. I tried different panning settings C, 30, 50, 75, 100 but I can't hear that as strong as when using two IRs in the Axe Fx and panning these. So panning in mixIR2 doesn't seem to have much impact on the sound somehow? Does this work better in aomDSP?

Cannot share the IR itself, contains copyrighted IRs.

The mix recipe (for example to use in AOM DSP):

BasketweaveG12H30s-R121-CapEdge-3in
BasketweaveG12H30s-SM57-Cone-0_5in
BasketweaveG12H30s-U87-CapEdge-2in
MarkIIC_EV12L-R121-Cap-4in
MarkIIC_EV12L-SM57-Cone-0_5in
MarkIIC_EV12L-U87-CapEdge-2in

In equal amounts.

These are Red Wire IRs. Similar results can be obtained by using OwnHammer IRs.

Thank you, I will try that!

Reactions: yek
I created those in mixIR2 with your settings and the OB Mesa Cab which is slightly darker. I like the result, thanks for sharing.
BTW, I created two blocks in mixIR2 with no panning in the IRs. I tried different panning settings C, 30, 50, 75, 100 but I can't hear that as strong as when using two IRs in the Axe Fx and panning these. So panning in mixIR2 doesn't seem to have much impact on the sound somehow? Does this work better in aomDSP?

Panning? MixIR only creates mono IRs (no panning).

Panning? MixIR only creates mono IRs (no panning).

The seperate IR blocks can be panned in mixIR2 but it's hardly audible in the Axe Fx II. I'm no expert here so I'm not sure how the panning information is transferred into the wav file when exporting?

Back
Top Bottom