Another V10 Preview II

Cliff, I assume (forgive me if this is incorrect) to achieve the MIMIC thing, you would need to re-measure each of the amp models using the original amps. Did you happen to keep ALL the original amps & preamps you used for each amp type so you could do this? If so, kudos! Can't wait to hear them all.....

MIMIC isn't tone matching. That clip isn't tone matched. That's the stock model. MIMIC analyzes the actual amp and corrects the internal model based on measured differences.

Will MIMIC be available as a utility that the consumer can use to refine amp matches?

If it was available, all the other companies would use it...

I was referring to something "in the box" along the lines of an extra step in the Amp Matching process done with Tone Matching. In other words, use the MIMIC logic to get your base amp choice closer (assuming Cliff has not already reworked it) to the one being matched or to refine the result post TM.

Last edited:
mimic sounds cool and the preview are great hopefully/when and if a scaled down ax rack or floor model is release the included models will be done with this tech

The first clip is my preference. ... the second clip sounds like the guitar volume is on 8.... missing that little extra punch and gain.

I was referring to something "in the box" along the lines of an extra step in the Amp Matching process done with Tone Matching. In other words, use the MIMIC logic to get your base amp choice closer (assuming Cliff has not already reworked it) to the one being matched or to refine the result post TM.

I think it's a little more complex than that. I suspect Cliff actually has the amp open on the bench, testing voltages, current or impedances at multiple points throughout the circuit, which are then transferred to the digital model. Cliff's breakthrough probably has been to automate this testing for a large range of scenarios. The resultant non-linear behaviour, which couldn't have been predicted and gives many amps their 'character', is now baked into the model. This is 'profiling' each component of the chain rather than just the overall output.

Fantastic stuff.

The best amps in the AXE FX II won't even benefit from MIMIC. No real life amps to compare them to. :)

I wonder how many amps will actually be run through this MIMIC process? I thought there were some amps in the AXE that were based off schematics or Cliff's guess and not the actual amp like the Energyball and Das Metall. Also, if Fractal model amps that owners send in, I wonder how many amps Fractal even have access to anymore to be able to run through the MIMIC process?

Any chance of a list of amps that will be run through the process for 10?

:) It would be more than just one extra step. Would you be willing to open up your amp and probe different points in the circuit? I bet most people wouldn't.

Edit: Just noticed this post, Somebody beat me to it:

I think it's a little more complex than that. I suspect Cliff actually has the amp open on the bench, testing voltages, current or impedances at multiple points throughout the circuit, which are then transferred to the digital model. Cliff's breakthrough probably has been to automate this testing for a large range of scenarios. The resultant non-linear behaviour, which couldn't have been predicted and gives many amps their 'character', is now baked into the model. This is 'profiling' each component of the chain rather than just the overall output.

Fantastic stuff.

Back
Top Bottom