ANOTHER TRIUMPH FOR THE ULTRA!

bobmeredith

Just got back from 5hrs of jamming with the Ultra and I have to say I'm totally happy with the patches I've set up for my LP and Strat.

The Axe II is obviously a more sophisticated machine but as a pragmatic ex pro player the Ultra, Matrix 800, and 2 EV 12Ls do everything I need.

A few weeks ago my rig easily outshone another players Marshal Quad and SG combination. Even my Marshal sims sounded better.

I don't care if the sims are not exactly like their real life counterparts, the main thing is I have about 40 good useful sounds for my Strat, LP, Ibanez super strat and ES-175.

Keep the faith Standard and Ultra users....not having a II is a blessing in my opinion, no more FW upgrades and I've done tweaking. My gig rig lives in the garage packed up ready to go and I rarely turn my studio Ultra on, I just practice on my 175 unplugged.

There is light at the end of the tweaking tunnel!

I havent noticed much of a tonal chance since FW12 for the II. If you are happy with the ultra and it makes everyone jealous, I say stick with it and be happy. :)

Meh, I've had my Ultra for... I dunno how many years now. It still sounds great, and I've still really only explored a tiny fraction of what the unit could do. Sure, if I had the money I'd have bought an Axe II by now. But kinda just... because. If I want to, I can still sit down with the Ultra and tweak away for hours finding new (to me) sounds, and crazy combinations of FX where certain parameters are controlled by pitch and LFOs and exp pedals and whatever.

And even if I did buy an Axe II, I'd probably just whack it in the recording rack at home and keep using the Ultra with the band.

Just got back from 5hrs of jamming with the Ultra and I have to say I'm totally happy with the patches I've set up for my LP and Strat.

The Axe II is obviously a more sophisticated machine but as a pragmatic ex pro player the Ultra, Matrix 800, and 2 EV 12Ls do everything I need.

Good to hear.

First time i personally tried the ULTRA it was like receiving a slap in the face, a wake up slap to such amazing tones. Got so used to its sound that when i got the Axe FX II i didn't feel the same at all.... today its another story, the AXFX II is such an amazing emulator its ridiculously real, yet i still have feelings for the ULTRA, probably buy one if i can get it dirt cheap just to have it in our band practice room.

Confession of a long term lurker: I reckon I have a handle on 20% of what my Ultra can do and I've had it for nearly 4 years. No plans on starting all over again! Still sounds amazing to me!

And even if I did buy an Axe II, I'd probably just whack it in the recording rack at home and keep using the Ultra with the band.
That's exactly what I've done, but only because I don't have time to recreate my Ultra presets in the II. The best advice I have for those who like their Ultra and/or don't have the desire or means to buy the II is....don't try the II. The difference is not subtle. Some might actually prefer the Ultra. For me, the II was a mind blowing experience that dwarfed the enthusiasm I felt when I first tried my Ultra. But the Ultra will stay in my live rack, and the II will stay at home.

Back
Top Bottom