Another successful outing with my AX8

hippietim

Axe-Master
We reformed our Stones tribute a few months back. Last time I had a psychological block against using a modeling rig in a Stones tribute band so I was using a Two Rock Studio Pro amp and the other guitar player was using a Badger - the tones were killing. This time around we have a different guitarist and he's a Kemper player so I figured what the heck and decided to use my AX8 this time around.

I just use one patch. It's the Keith Urban Tweed Twin. I forget which cab I ended up with. Aside from the amp/cab, the patch has a wah, a tremolo (for Gimme Shelter), a splash of plate reverb, an analog delay when I need a talent boost, and 2 drive blocks with different X/Y drives. I also have one of the switches set to kick in the amp boost (which is awesome on this amp model). This patch covers a lot of ground and I can get some seriously juicy lead tones out of it..

We had our debut gig last Friday at a really good music venue with a nice big stage and PA. The guitar players in the band playing after us were using vintage and boutique stuff - the guy on my side had a Badger and a Quidley combo with a sweet boutique pedalboard setup and on the other side the dude had a 60's blackface Fender plugged straight in. Listening to their sound check they had some pretty nice tones.

Then we did our thing and it went really well. I was very happy with tones on stage - the sound man was very cool and did a great job with the monitor mix. Listening to some iPhone recordings of the show I was really pleased with the guitar tones and how everything blended. The sound man sought me out to tell me how much he liked the way the guitars sounded. Also, the guitarist with the Badger/Quidley rig was very intrigued by the AX8 - his rig sounded really good but that's a lot more gear than I want to carry.

Moral of the story: Fractal gear kicks ass.

...Preacher speaks.....Choir listens ...and awaits clips...Btw, I would betcha that, somewhere in the detritus of his numerous estates....Keef has at least 1 FAS product, and probly even uses it.

Awesome. I like raw raunchy tones too, which is what kept me away so long. I knew the modelers could do metal and pristine cleans but I didn’t think it could do rawk. Boy was I wrong.

My other band has a female singer so we're playing Middle of the Road by The Pretenders which has a great raw crunch tone. When we first played it I used a Tele with Filtertrons with my AX8 edge of breakup patch and it was just killer. It had all that great raunchy ringing sound when you hit that open E chord. There's no way I could get that tone with a tube amp at reasonable volumes.

Sounds really good! What is the Keith Urban Tweed Twin? Is it the one that comes with the AX8? I'm new to the AX8, but digging it.

Back
Top Bottom