Another Silver Sky SE Review

The Raven

Inspired

I've had the Silver Sky SE for a bit now and made a video talking about it and showing off some sounds.

If you want the quick cliff notes because you don't want to sit through the full video, the guitar is solid where it counts and sounds great. There are some minor finishing flaws, but nothing that takes away from the playability of the guitar. To be fair, a lot of other people with these guitars don't have any of these aesthetic flaws that mine has, so it's possible I just got unlucky and got one of the few that came off the line with some minor blemishes.

All guitar tones are from the Axe Fx 3. No post processing on any of the guitars aside from boosting levels for YouTube. Mostly went for tones somewhat John Mayer inspired, but with a bit more focus/modern vibe since I'm not a die-hard Mayer fan (though I have come to appreciate his music more in recent years). This isn't usually the type of music I write, but I try to make things that complement the piece of gear, so apologies if this is a bit derivative (the inspiration is incredibly obvious). That said, it is fun to write things outside of your comfort zone sometimes.

Like I mentioned before, the guitar definitely sounds great and feels great. Even with the flaws I definitely think I prefer this over a lot of the cheaper Fenders I've tried. The fretwork is definitely better than a lot of the competition I've tried at least, and for me personally, the sound is a lot more pleasing/less abrasive. I'm not generally a Strat guy, but these Silver Skies are pretty awesome.

Let me know what you think, both about the guitar and the video. I'm always looking for constructive criticisms as to how to make these things better.

Here's some photos I snapped of the guitar as well.

View attachment IMG_1337.JPG
View attachment IMG_1345.JPGView attachment IMG_1349.JPG

Good job on the review. I’ve been thinking about buying one of these. I like that the SE radius is slightly larger than the core model. Also like the inverted headstock and offset tuners. Not thrilled with the colors, if I buy one it will be the Stone Blue you have or the yellow one that they call Moon White. I have a HSS Strat and lately I’ve been playing that guitar more than my others. Now I’m thinking of a pure singles S type guitar in the under $1k range. This one seems to be the best option at that price. We’ll see later this summer when it’s guitar buying time. I’ve watched a few reviews and I haven’t seen one yet where they don’t like this guitar.

One question: I have read that all 3 pickups are the same wind. Do the middle and neck overpower the bridge?

One question: I have read that all 3 pickups are the same wind. Do the middle and neck overpower the bridge?
Not at all. They are pretty well balanced across positions, at least at the height I have them set at. All volume settings in the video stay the same across positions for each sound clip, and I didn’t do any tweaking in post to get different positions to balance well with one another.

Now, because of its position, the neck pickup does sound like it has a little more bottom end then the bridge even though they are the same pickup, but even with that I still find my settings that work on the neck work with the bridge and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom