Another review after nearly one year from Germany

raccoon

Experienced
As already written in other posts, I've using modeling amps since end of 90s when Johnson released their 50W Mirage.
Later bought the Millennium Head and liked the sounds out of them.
Because of some hardware issues over time I sold them.
And because I was the opinion that the newer stuff from Line6 and other companies should be evolved because they are newer.
Never was really satisfied.
And I am not a "tone chaser".
I found my sounds and thy were okay but then never retouched them because they only can get worse.
I'm more the Metal guy and needed only sometimes clean sounds.
With actual band I do not use clean till now but may this will change.
I had an Engl Savage 60 at beginning of 90s and never got a nice powerful clean sound like I had with the Engl or other amps out of the modelers except the Johnson I had.

Now with FM3 and especially with Cygnus it is just fun to play clean sounds or slightly crunched sounds besides the powerfull highgain stuff (Diezel VH4 my actual favorite).

I got a used Ultra 2 years ago and this was also a big deal compared to other modelers I had.
But the actual Fractal models are over the top and you can get very good sounds without tweaking and if you tweak a little or more then there is no need for other gear.
I use the FM3 with a small MIDI controller for scene and preset and the 3 FM3 switches for additional stuff like Wah-Volume Pedal switch / looper / effects...
I made a layout where I can switch to FM3 only mode where I can cycle through scenes without MIDI attached if needed.

I use no additional pedals.
For my needs there are more than enough high quality effects and pedals built in.
So no reason to buy other stuff for me.

Or summarized, the best gear I've bought in the last 15 years.

30 years +, Marshalls, Fenders, Mesa's. Two notes attenuators. Last pedalboard had 12 pedals and a switcher with MIDI. Then Helix, then QC - both with outboard pedals.

Now just an FM3 and FC6 and it's all I need. Definitely best piece of gear I've ever purchased. Could not be happier with it.

30 years +, Marshalls, Fenders, Mesa's. Two notes attenuators. Last pedalboard had 12 pedals and a switcher with MIDI. Then Helix, then QC - both with outboard pedals.

Now just an FM3 and FC6 and it's all I need. Definitely best piece of gear I've ever purchased. Could not be happier with it.
I never was this dozens of pedal guy because everything that has to be cabled could be a point of issues....
That's why I begun to be interested in all in one devices like modelers really early.

The FM 3 is a very satisfying unit and has all the "Brot und Butter"-amps and effects that you could ever need ;)
I wrote this before but I would have buyed the FM 3 even if it would have only a handful of amps and effects when the quality and dynamics of them are so good :) I guess that I only use 1-5 % of the possibilities of the unit but it is absolutely enough for my needs :cool:

same boat for me... Several great tube heads over the years, and a big pedalboard with strymons and eventide goodies all wired up to a a Gigrig G2 midi switcher. It was really cool (and heavy) and cost over $300 alone just in Lava cables (the only plugs that would fit at the time). Sold many of the pedals, some are still around but not really used. I have a Helix rig that is built into a road case with an H9 and a wireless unit... and my little FM3 board. I doubt I'll ever go back to tube amps and pedals.

Some guitarists just stick to the "good old tube amps" because their favorite guitarists like Hendrix, Clapton always played these technologies.
But if modeling is as good as FAS stuff you can really play with it.
And Hendrix would have tried it, too as he was open minded to new gear, pedals etc....he just had not enough time to play with new technologies :anguished:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom