Another Recommend Studio Monitors Thread

Joe_Guitar1

Inspired
Room size is 15’ x 12’ with 8 foot ceilings - untreated.

Use the speakers to play through the axefx & record.

I need the speakers to be front ported as they are against a wall.

Currently have KRK Rotokit 6’s that are dying a slow death; the ominous crackle…

Have been looking at the Focal Alpha 65 Evo.

Would like to keep it under $1k US.

Anyone with experience withe the Focals? Any other recommendations?

Joe

I have a pair of the Focal Alpha 65s (not Evo) and am absolutely loving them, they have met my expectations. Great, balanced tone with more than enough bottom end for guitar, no need for a subwoofer for my use case. I dabble in recording and have done some mixing and mastering of our church's live events.

I've owned, used and tried the following monitors. With the exception of the Focal Twin6, the Alpha 65's sound and feel 'better' to my ears.

Event TR8
Behringer Truth B2030A
KRK Rokit 5
Adam T7V
JBL 305 and 308
Focal Twin6 Be
Yamaha HS7, HS8

I had some old Rockit 6’s that died for the same reason. But even if they hadn’t, I never cared for how they sounded. I went through a similar thing you did and also didn’t want to spend huge money. I read a lot of positive reviews of the Dynaudio BM5 MK III’s and ultimately went for those. Many of the reviews of them describe them as easy to listen to and non-fatiguing. I’ve been very happy with them and they were a huge upgrade over the KRK’s.

I use Yamaha HS8s with the matching sub.
Very happy.
Nice upgrade from the KRKs that I had before.

I would love to recommend the Kali IN8 to you, however a 15x12x8 room will have wicked room modes from 80-180hz. From 35hz - 50hz will also have some killer room modes.

I would recommend getting a set of Kali LP6 speakers and put the rest of the cash up to your $1k, toward some room treatment. Broadband and targeted bass traps would be worth the cash and still look nice.

I have the Kali IN8s and love them. I replaced a pair of 28 year old Audix Studio 1A passive monitors with the Kali's. I also run a pair of JBL LSR32s (12 inch 3 way studio monitors).

James

Last edited:
I would love to recommend the Kali IN8 to you, however a 15x12x8 room will have wicked room modes from 80-180hz. From 35hz - 50hz will also have some killer room modes.

I would recommend getting a set of Kali LP6 speakers and put the rest of the cash up to your $1k, toward some room treatment. Broadband and targeted bass traps would be worth the cash and still look nice.

I have the Kali IN8s and love them. I replaced a pair of 28 year old Audix Studio 1A passive monitors with the Kali's.

James

Cool to someone comment taking the room size into account.

I have Yamaha HS7s and HS8s. Highly recommend the HS8s, has a better overall sound and less "bitey" mid sound than the 7s.

I’ll be following this thread. Now that I am on the waiting list for the FM9 in Europe I have plenty of time to decide on which monitors to buy. Already spent quite some time going through threads on this forum and The Gear page. Initially I was leaning towards the Yamaha HS7 but after a lot of reading I think the Adam AX7 may be the better choice. Just hope they are not too big for my 10’ x 13’ untreated room? I do see conflicting information on size…

Last edited:
I'm in the market to upgrade my Yamaha HS50M monitors and so far it seems like it's between Focal Alpha 65 Evo or the Kali IN8 V2. Adam A7x was also a consideration but it appears on sweetwater they show discontinued so maybe there will be a new Adam 7 option soon. Too many options lol.

Back
Top Bottom