Another Pickup swap thread - suggestions

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I use my Epiphone LP Custom pro as a constant guinea pig for upgrades. Currently I have a set of SD JB/Jazz installed; previously i had Dimarzio Transitions. I don't mind JB/jazz set but I think i'd like something with more output and to be used for detuned /high gain sounds. Tighter bass response is what i'm after. Hard rock/prog style. I was toying with the idea of Nailbombs from Bare Knuckle pickups but i'm not spending $400+ on pickups. Any suggestions in the Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio line?

Oh no doubt they are great pickups. I used to have a set of Rebel Yells in a guitar i had once and that was killer.

I've been wanting to try a transition set...how do they compare to the JB/Jazz set? How about to Dimarzio super distortion if you've run it in the past?

I've been wanting to try a transition set...how do they compare to the JB/Jazz set? How about to Dimarzio super distortion if you've run it in the past?
I actually wish i kept the Transitions. I was just in one of those *cough cough * restless "i need to change things up' like I am now. well, I like the JB's but they're not what i want for this guitar. Transitions are an all around great pickup. very well balanced and great string separation. I sold them to this guy and he wrote me after saying I should have kept them lol. He's gone through virtually every pickup there is by the sounds of it and he loved the transitions in his Les Paul. Honestly the transitions are amazing. Clean or high gain, they handle it all.

Last edited:
I am a Dimarzio fan, really like the Mo'Joe and PAF Pro combination for high gain. I have to say though that I've been extremely impressed with the TV Jones Power'trons I put in a PRS CE24 at handling higher gain tones. Great bite, cut through the mix really well, and really nice low end.

The JB is plenty enough output and the AXE3 has more than enough gain and eq to do what you want. BKs are great though because they manage to keep the treble and the output. I have them in a Aristides 060.

I'm also considering changing pickups on my JP15. I just can't bond with the pickups. I love John Petrucci but my style of playing is different. For that guitar I think i'd go with Bare Knuckle Rebel yells. Just worried about the more complex wiring in the JP guitar. Also pretty sure i'm decided on Bare knuckle Nailbomb for this Epiphone. I'll just get the bridge so it won't be as pricey.

Btw I have a set of bkp pain killers I’m thinking of selling. $200 plus shipping if you want em.
I was eyeing the painkillers at one point too. I made the order yesterday for the Nailbomb bridge. I got the slightly etched gold covers with black screws. Should look pretty sick on my guitar. Only thing I'm concerned about is how it will pair with the SD jazz in the neck. I could also throw the JB in the neck

I‘m late to this party but I got a couple of sets of Instrumental Pickups SFTY4’s and they are awesome. Well worth the money.

I just swapped a Transition to a SH-5 Duncan Custom and I am very happy.
The Transition was very well balanced and could be used for any style, but did not make me smile.
The Duncan is not too far away from the Transition, but with much bigger balls and a ruder attitude.

Back
Top Bottom