Another noob question...1/4 mono or stereo cabble?

johnniz

Hi.

I have yet another noob question, which I have tried to find an answer to. When connecting the axe fx to studio monitors, is there a "best" way? I have a mono dual Line/audio cable laying around, and was wondering if I can use this from the unbalanced audio outputs on the axe into the Equator D5`s? Or does this cable need to be stereo instead?

Thanks!

TS will work fine, but TRS cables help reject noise and interference, if I'm not mistaken. Go for it.

Here is the info on the Humbuster cable (to which I believe Jbmetal was referring): [h=2]Cables: HumBuster[/h]
  • Cliff: "The 1/4" outputs have a "remote ground sense" feature. You take a TRS cable and on one end you put a TRS plug and on the other end you put a regular TS plug. On the TS end you tie the ring conductor to ground. Plug the TRS end into the Axe-Fx II. The ground noise of the attached equipment is sensed and added to the output signal thereby cancelling the common-mode noise (hum). This is especially useful when doing the 4CM since that's when you usually get the worst ground loops." Source
  • Cliff: "The Humbuster outputs sense the ground noise at the far end of the cable and cancel it out. Remember there is no such thing as a wire with zero impedance."
Cheers,

Lee

The TS "Tip-sleeve" cable
(2 conductor "phone jack") This cable is for unbalanced signals. These cables should be kept as short as possible. Keep them under 12 feet and away from power transformers or they may pick up dreaded hum and ruin your audio signal.

The TRS "Tip-ring-sleeve" cable (2-conductor plus ground) This is a cable for balanced signals just like the XLR , it just has different connectors. Note that TRS cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals in most studio gear. The exception being the headphone jack.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up :)

Can I use TRS cables with the unbalanced outputs or do I need a TRS to XLR cable from the balanced output?

A quote from the manual (3.4.1):
Balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (1/4”) jacks and cables can be used to connect the Axe-Fx II, with the
former providing the advantage that less noise will be picked up over longer cable runs

I use both TS/TS (short guitar cables) and XLR/XLR

For the lengths you'd run in the typical run to your studio monitors its not really going to matter much, but if your going to buy something, might as well spend a few bucks more for TRS as it won't hurt. Might not really "need" them in the bedroom setup, but doesn't hurt.

I've used both at home and notice zero difference, but when I had some custom cables all made to wire everything up a bit tidier, I went balanced.

Finally, make sure your monitor or mixer has balanced input jacks. Some lower end monitor speakers only have unbalanced inputs

At home in my studio I use Output 1 L&R, and use 2 XLR cables to studio monitors. Live I use Output 1 L&R to FOH and Output 2 L&R with 2 TRS to XLR cables to 2 EV ELX 112p's. The XLR end hooks to 2 EV ELX 112p's.
So yes you can use TRS cables or TS cables on the unbalanced output 2 jacks. TS for short runs and TRS for runs over 12 ft.

Last edited:
At home in my studio I use Output 1 L&R, and use 2 XLR cables to studio monitors. Live I use Output 1 L&R to FOH and Output 2 L&R with 2 TRS to XLR cables to 2 EV ELX 112p's. The XLR end hooks to 2 EV ELX 112p's.
So yes you can use TRS cables or TS cables on the unbalanced output 2 jacks. TS for short runs and TRS for runs over 12 ft.

Thank you! That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Cheers guys

I use an XLR to TRS cable.

Same here, my monitor system only has balanced XLR inputs so I got some TRS to XLR adapters so I can run from the balanced out's of my small mixer (which I use to allow my DAW and Axe to both have quick and easy level adjustments and jam backing tracks).

Noticed zero sound difference running into the unbalanced monitor inputs, or using the unbalanced outs on the Axe, as its just setup in a normal sized room, but as I mentioned previously, "why not" right ? XLR to TRS adapter cost like $8.99 each, and TRS cable hardly cost more than quality TS cable, so its all balanced. Makes zero difference, but yeah.....

Back
Top Bottom