Another newbie question. Is this possible?

Steinmetzify

Inspired
I have some stems I was messing around with in an effort to enhance my meager mixing skills. I was using plugins and realized there's probably a way to run these in Reaper thru the Axe, and use the tones in there to get a better mix.

I read the reamping guide in the wiki but it's not making sense to me.

Can anyone explain this in simple terms? I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that's like one button and a turn of a knob, but I don't know what I'm doing. Would like to learn though!

Thanks for your input, guys.

Whether it "is possible" for you will largely rely on your audio interface. You will need to "present" an output from the DAW to the AxeFX. So in reaper, your track needs to be sent to that output. You need to then connect (physically) that output to the input of your AxeFX. I would make sure that the track in reaper sending the audio is ONLY sending to the AxeFx and isn't also contributing to your master mix by making sure MASTER SEND is unselected.

Knew I forgot something. I'm trying to do this via USB.

What I want to do is record/reamp using the Axe on two different tracks, and I realize I have to do them one at a time, and then and drum and bass. I figured out how to change the input to USB and I can hear my patch, but when I hit record it goes over the top of the track. When it's done, it splits into two different tracks.

Can anyone explain what I'm looking at? Any of this familiar?

you have to set this up on the daw side, you should be able to send 2 tracks to the axe and record 2 at the same time with out over writing.

Another Forum user asked me how to reampthrough the Axe Fx II with his Steinberg UR28M Interface, since I have the same. This is what I wrote to him... it is specifically addressing Cubase and the UR28M, but you can apply it equally to other DAWs and Interfaces. Here it Comes:

Hi,

ok, I’ll try to describe it best I can. I am using Cubase Pro 8 with the UR28M, so the procedure for that would be…:

• Connect the following cables:
    • Two XLR to TRS balanced cables, XLR side plugged into the balanced XLR output of the Axe Fx II, TRS side plugged into analog inputs 3+4 of the UR28M

• Two SPDIF cables, one running from SPDIF out of Axe Fx II to SPDIF in of UR28M, the other from SPDIF out of UR28M to SPDIF in of Axe Fx II
  • In your Cubase song, go to the „Devices“ menu, click on VST Connections, and there you set up these inputs and outputs:
    • A stereo input for the analog inputs 3 and 4 of the UR28M; rename that to „A3+4“

• A stereo input for the SPDIF input of the UR28M; rename that to „SPDIF“

• A stereo output called „Mix 1“ that you use as the general output for all the tracks in the Cubase project, route it to analog outputs 1+2

• A stereo output canned „Mix 2“ that you reserve for reamping, route it to analog outputs 3+4
  • Now, also in the „Devices“ menu, go to „Audio Hardware“, select the routing tab and set the SPDIF output to „Mix 2“

• Set up the i/o oft he Axe Fx II:
    • Set the input of the Axe Fx II in the in/out menu to „Analog“

• Set SPDIF output oft he Axe Fx II in the i/o menu to carry the dry signal
  • Now record your take in Cubase:
    • Create a new stereo track in Cubase, set it to input „A3+4“ and output „Mix 1“ and name it „Wet“

• Create a second stereo track in Cubase, set it to input „SPDIF“ and output „Mix 1“ and name it „Dry“

• Record enable both of these tracks, then record your take

• Now the track „Wet“ should have the processed signal recorded, and the track „Dry“ the unprocessed DI signal
  • Now you can start reamping. For that, do these setting changes:
    • Select „SPDIF“ as input source in the i/o menu of the Axe Fx II

• Set SPDIF out of Axe Fx II in the i/o menu to carry the signal of „Output 1“

• Set the Axe Fx II to the patch with the sound you want for the reamped track

• Set the Cubase track „Dry“ to the output „Mix 2“

• Create a new audio track for the reamped signal, name it „Reamped“, set it to input „SPDIF“ and output „Mix 1“, and record enable it (make sure no other track is record enabled)

• Now record the part of the song that you want to reamp

• While all other tracks play back normally through the output Mix 1, the track you want to reamp will go out through the Mix 2 via SPDIF to the Axe, will be processed there, and the processed signal will be sent back to the SPDIF input of the UR28M and recorded to the track „Reamped“. If you enable monitoring on this track, you can also listen tot he reamped sound while you record.

• DONE.

• Now set back the Axe Fx II to input „Analog“, the SPDIF out of the Axe to carry the dry signal, set the output of the „Dry“ track in Cubase back to „Mix 1“, and you can continue to record and reamp the next track by repeating this procedure.
One key thing is: Set the buffer size of the UR28M to as low as possible – I do reamping only on „naked“ projects without any mixing plugins, so that the CPU load is so low that I can set the buffer to 32 samples without any hickups. If the buffer size is too big, you will have an audible round trip latency, the reamped track will be time shifted / delayed compared to the original tracks (both wet and dry).

Let me know how this works for you, if you have further questions contact me again!

Best regards,

With that setup, you can also run other, non-guitar related tracks through "Mix 2" into the Axe Fx II and just put a delay, reverb or chorus on them. Try some of the reverbs on drums, or send vocals through reverb, delay or chorus (e.g. mix some Dimension from the chorus block as a sublte widening effect into the vocals). The Axe fx II is not only an awesome guitar processor, but a powerful studio effects box, too.

Argh, still no luck. I had it once and when I tried to repeat what I think I did, I got some weird feedback that just grew and grew when I armed the track for recording.

Think I can figure this out but have to work. I'll try again later. Thanks for the tips you guys.

Argh, still no luck. I had it once and when I tried to repeat what I think I did, I got some weird feedback that just grew and grew when I armed the track for recording.

Think I can figure this out but have to work. I'll try again later. Thanks for the tips you guys.
You will get that feedback if you do not mute the play back of the track. if you try to monitor the play back and the recording it gets real ugly threw usb!

When you record with the axe as a sound card, the axe will send 4 signals to your daw. 2 of them will be the dry track. the other 2 will be what you want them to be. I send them to my daw as l, r, 3, 4, I record every thing with 4 tracks whether I need to or not. then when reamping thru usb, you need to get your record to tracks and play back tacks fiqured out and set before changing the axe input to usb. I hope I am telling you correctly, I have not reamped any recordings in quite some time.

See I've heard that before, about the Axe sending 4 signals, but I've only ever seen one. I don't know if I have the Axe set up correctly in that case...thanks for the tip on the feedback.

EDIT: GOT IT! Thanks you guys...you're always helpful. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
You have to select the input sources in your daw. as far as I know the axe always has the 4 tracks available through the usb.

Back
Top Bottom