Another IEM thread...

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I know this has been asked several times before, but as time passes new products hit the market. I'm basically looking for updated feedback from real world users...

I'm finally ready to do IEMs the right way, custom molds, the whole 9.

I want to buy once, cry once. Saving a few bucks only to have to repeat the process isn't something I'd like to go through, but saving a LOT of bucks for drivers that take me 90%+ of the way there is a good purchase in my book.

So, which drivers do I want? I'm a guitarist, but I like to hear the full mix in the clearest way possible, and I'd like a fairly accurate representation of what's being sent to FOH.

Good quality, reliability and such, is of course a huge factor.

Thanks guys!

I'd get at least triple drivers. look for brands that have removable cords, and extras available, as they will wear out. Lots of brands out there, lots of price differences.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm leaning heavily towards the Alclair reference...anyone have any experience with them?

Only ones I have experience with are 1964Ears Qi's, which sound phenomenal. Getting a very good ear impression made is crucial, as a mis-fitting mold will perform worse than a universal. I've had mine for a little over 2 years now, and have played over 100 performances with them in that time with no issues. I did spring for the longer cable and the recessed connectors, and glad I did on both parts. I also bought a pair of custom molded ear plugs at the same time - best $100 I ever spent.

Whichever you end up with, just make sure to take care of them. Clean them regularly, carefully insert/remove them and the cables, always use the case, don't toss them around etc.

I've just placed an order for the 1964 Ears V6S, after seriously also considering the Qis. Ultimately I spent a few extra dollars to get the 6 driver vs 4, but mostly because 1964 recommends to V6S for guitar and vocals, but not the Qi which is more sub and bass tailored.

The drummer opted for the Qis and the other guitarist and singer opted for the 3 driver V3.

I was able to get a 10% discount compared to the 20% we were offered by Ultimate Ears (bassist has UE5s and loves them), but what you get for the money was a big motivating factor.

I also did look at the Alclair Reference, but being that I couldn't seem to find anyone familiar with them I decided to pass on those.

Since I'm now used to a flat response from my Xitones I'm really hoping the non-flat response won't require me to have 2 different sets of patches... I'm thinking the global EQ might be my friend :)

I bet we could get enough of us on the forum to get a discount from one of the IEM companies...anyone in the mood?

I bet we could get enough of us on the forum to get a discount from one of the IEM companies...anyone in the mood?
Just ask them... I was given a contact at Ultimate Ears from a fellow forum member. I can PM you the same info... he seems to offer 20%.

For 1964 Ears I did play the "group" card as we were ordering 4 sets... and they offered us 10%. They may offer it to anyone who asks... can't hurt to try :)

You might look into the new Adele series from 64 ears.. seems interesting and I've heard good things on their IEMs from friends who use them. It seems like it's always JH Audio or the 64 ears brands that the people I know are using.

based on 1964's website, the A5's are the flattest available in the ADEL line. Does this make them the "truest" ones they offer? I'd prefer no enhancement in any freqs, just raw what-the-FOH-gets tone... and they're not the most expensive thing out there.

Takes a custom mold, check.
detachable & recessed cables, check
good case, check
cheaper than UE, check

From what I understand, the A5's are based on the A10's, which are supposed to be their flattest monitors and aimed at engineers, etc. for mixing applications (a friend explained this to me who uses their products and knows quite a bit about this stuff, unlike myself). So I think you're on the right track, although I would probably talk w/ the company and get more advice. I will say that the prices they jumped to w/ the Adele line seem a bit much to me. No idea how legit the technology is...

As a 2-yr user of 1964's Qi's, I can say I have been VERY happy with them and can highly recommend 1964 over others I've come across.
I did a lot of research before deciding - and the TOTL CIEM leaders were 1964, AE and UE.

My drummer (he's NOT wireless) has AE triples and has sent them back twice [been without them more than he's had them]. Once for "terrible fit" and the second time because the left ear kept cutting out. On that basis, glad I didn't go with them.
My guitar player has UE7's which are "tuned" for guitar.. I've listened to them (but they are CIEM, so not a real test as they don't fit properly) but they DO sound good!
Singer uses the stock buds (E4?) that came with the Senn G3 IEM system. We are all G3.

I mostly play bass these days, so the Qi's work great.. but based on my experiences - simply PUT (like the AxeFx) DON'T CHEAP OUT!:
  • BUY the BEST multiple driver CIEM's you can afford. They are NOT cheap. Think about having audiophile gear and listening thru cheap speakers.. Same analogy. If you go cheap on single drivers buds.. you'll totally hate the IEM experience.
  • BUY a decent wireless system - Senn G3, PSM900 or equivalents, tho' lesser systems like PSM200/300, Carvin EM900 WILL suffice, but have less features like adjustable limiters..
  • Add ambience into your IEM mix - either via external stage mics or judicious use of reverb delay.
  • Run a STEREO IEM mix - this will maximize clarity, instrument separation, and so on. Pan instruments to get the "space" you want to hear.
My $0.02.

PS: I'm likely going to upgrade to the 1964 A8's (ADEL's) later this year when I get the $$, but will need to send in new molds, as the ones from the Qi's are too old now.

As a 2-yr user of 1964's Qi's, I can say I have been VERY happy with them and can highly recommend 1964 over others I've come across.
I did a lot of research before deciding - and the TOTL CIEM leaders were 1964, AE and UE.

My drummer (he's NOT wireless) has AE triples and has sent them back twice [been without them more than he's had them]. Once for "terrible fit" and the second time because the left ear kept cutting out. On that basis, glad I didn't go with them.
My guitar player has UE7's which are "tuned" for guitar.. I've listened to them (but they are CIEM, so not a real test as they don't fit properly) but they DO sound good!
Singer uses the stock buds (E4?) that came with the Senn G3 IEM system. We are all G3.

I mostly play bass these days, so the Qi's work great.. but based on my experiences - simply PUT (like the AxeFx) DON'T CHEAP OUT!:
  • BUY the BEST multiple driver CIEM's you can afford. They are NOT cheap. Think about having audiophile gear and listening thru cheap speakers.. Same analogy. If you go cheap on single drivers buds.. you'll totally hate the IEM experience.
  • BUY a decent wireless system - Senn G3, PSM900 or equivalents, tho' lesser systems like PSM200/300, Carvin EM900 WILL suffice, but have less features like adjustable limiters..
  • Add ambience into your IEM mix - either via external stage mics or judicious use of reverb delay.
  • Run a STEREO IEM mix - this will maximize clarity, instrument separation, and so on. Pan instruments to get the "space" you want to hear.
My $0.02.

PS: I'm likely going to upgrade to the 1964 A8's (ADEL's) later this year when I get the $$, but will need to send in new molds, as the ones from the Qi's are too old now.

s0c9, you're in the DFW area. Anyone you recommend for going to to get molds made?

Do you have some recommendations how to pan the instrument in Stereo-IEM-Mix for guitarist?

My starting point is:
Kick: Center
Snare: Center
Overhead 1: 100% Left
Overhead 2: 100% Right
Tom Small: 40% Left
Tom Middle: 10% Left
Tom Floor: 40% Right
Bass: Center
Other (not mine) Guitar: 70% Right
My Guitar: Center
Vox: Center
Back Vocal #1: 20% Left
Back Vocal #2: 20% Right

Thanks for this thread. Good stuff, I am about to make the leap to IEM as well. I have been using headsets for rehearsal for well over 6 months so I am very used to the sound and it should be a relatively easy transition. Very worried about ear damage with 412's on stage. Most of the band is going the IEM route as well. Still a couple hold outs.... LOL....

Some friends went with Alien Ears and several had to be sent back for different reasons. I've never heard anything bad about UE and my audiologist said they were very good. 1964 and Westone are supposed to be very good as well. I ended up ordering a set of Ultimate Ears 7 Pro buds - should ship 3/14 according to the e-mail they sent. The other guitar player in one of my bands just got his UE 7 Pro buds and said they sound kick ass.

These things are not cheap but it's your ears!!!

Yep, if your ears get damaged and you need hearing aids they run about 5 grand each ear if I understand correctly..... That seems outrageous but I wouldn't be surprised.

Interestingly for guitarists, 64 ears recommends the A2, A3, A6 or A12 (see 'Recommendations' block at the bottom of the page: https://www.64audio.com/product/1964-A5-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor

Not sure why the A5s wouldn't be recommended highly for guitar - I'm also of the mindset that flattest is best.

Particularly as I'm trying to find the right upgrade from my Shure se215s. Most music sounds great on those headphones, but my guitar tones are translating horribly. They sounds great in my CLRs, but horrible on those headphones. Reading up a bit, it sounds like the 215s emphasize the bass, and it must be a specific frequency band. And dialing patches using the 215s, all the amps and cabs sound extremely similar, especially compared to a flat range system like the CLR.

I suppose someone more skilled in patch creation could dial patches that are more usable on the 215s, but I'm tired of fighting the monitors. Right now it's hard to play fast and tight lines because what I'm hearing has no definition and emphasizes some funky harmonic content as much as the root note. Again - frustrating, because professionally produced music sounds great through these monitors. There's just a big mismatch between the patches I'm creating which sound great in KRK monitors and CLR wedges, but sound horrible in the 215s.

Sorry for the rant.

Back
Top Bottom