Another Headphone thread

CSL

I know this has been discussed before, and I have searched and read the previous threads several times. Some things have changed though and I’m looking for current recommendations.

I have the Axe 3 Mark 2, studio monitors and a Headrush 1x12. So I’m covered for TV level to as loud as I can stand it. I’m looking to add headphones for in house after hours practice. I have Shure 115 and was not impressed. The threads I read cover the Mo-Fi/Mix-Fi and a lot of love for the HD550. One guy loves his 1990 Pros, but reviews state they are bright.

The Blue Mix-Fi appear to need to be charged and have an internal amplifier that doesn’t seem to be needed as well as being closed back.

I went to buy the HD 650 from Sweetwater and they are discontinued/back ordered. The HD 660s doesn’t appear to be the same or garner as much love. The HD6xx is on a waitlist and seems to be the continuation of a discontinued product with a different color scheme.

The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro look really nice and appear to be well built and have replaceable components but have love/hate reviews.

Out of what’s available currently in the 250 ohm/$500 range what do you think works best with the Axe for guitar?

Thanks in advance.

Headphones can be pretty polarizing. Because they're literally strapped to your melon, things like head and ear size and shape can make a big difference in the listening and wearing experience from one user to the next. You tend to see a lot of love/hate kind of reviews on things like that. I just wish manufacturers would stop using the same shitty pleather covers that fall apart and shed lovely black flakes all over your head and ears over time.

Is the “brightness” a factor with the Axe given that guitar is mostly mid frequency?

I don't find them to be especially bright heavy, and they're more revealing and detailed in the mid range than any other headphones I've used.

Spend the money on the Audeze LCD-2s.
Agree with the direction of this suggestion if you can swing it.

I have the Audeze LCD 3 pre fazor model, the JH Audio Roxanne, and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro. The Audeze destroy these other options because the open back nature really gives the headphones room to breathe and extend allowing you to really feel the resonance of the cab and extension of the speakers even though you are only using headphones. Audeze's signature sound is really lush midrange, deep and authoritative bass, and a fairly warm top end. This makes them a fun headphone and they are not fatiguing at all.

On the other hand, the Audeze are not perfect for dialing in tones, and I have to switch over to my DT 770 Pros to test out how my high end is doing since they highlight any harshness in the high end the say way my Atomic CLRs do. However, I do find that I wind up dialing in tones that are relatively more dynamic and touch sensitive with the Audeze because it is easier to tell the difference with them over the other options. The Roxannes are also great but IEMs inherently feel quite closed in.

I have the Blue MoFi's which are great... but really heavy... looking for something new

I hunted for the perfect headphones (for me) for a while. I had tried Shure SRH940, BD 770 PRO, 880, Blue Sadie, and finally HD 650. HD 650 was the best sounding, balanced lows, and highs, comfortable. This was the first and only, that I didn't have unwanted frequencies while dialing-in tones.
I was upset about an FW update that introduced, wild mid-frequency peeks, and extra compression when turned out it was the headphones that I just switched to.

Back
Top Bottom