Another Head Rush 108 or 112 vs QSC k10.2 speaker debate

I apologize for beating a dead horse on this. So I ’ve read multiple hours and hours worth of varied forums and posts regarding speakers. I have a budget of about $600-800. Here’s my options please let me what you’d pick if you were in my shoes?? I’m using an Axe III.

2 separate Headrush 108
2 separate Headrush 112
1 single QSC k10.2 or Yamaha DX10

I’ll be mostly using them for reheasel or sometimes home practice and occasionally as a back line/monitor when playing out.

I can only comment on the FR108. I play in a rock band with another guitar player and bassist who play tube amps, a hard hitting drummer. I play through the PA and use a CLR monitor . I tried a 108 because I was hoping lighten setup. It sounded good at home, and even decently loud while I demo'd it to bandmates at the start of rehearsal. However, as soon as the band kicked in, it couldn't cut it. I am back to the CLR.

If you play in a loud band, check out the other options. Also, look at the QSC CP12.

Reactions: ESW
I can only comment on the FR108. I play in a rock band with another guitar player and bassist who play tube amps, a hard hitting drummer. I play through the PA and use a CLR monitor . I tried a 108 because I was hoping lighten setup. It sounded good at home, and even decently loud while I demo'd it to bandmates at the start of rehearsal. However, as soon as the band kicked in, it couldn't cut it. I am back to the CLR.

If you play in a loud band, check out the other options. Also, look at the QSC CP12.
Great advice. I currently have 3 music projects going. One of the drummers has anvil hands and it gets really loud even though we’re a 3 piece. This is my first experience with fractal and going digital. I’ve always played with a 4x12 cab and 100w head. I’m trying to get my rig setup up proper and dialed in before I take it to rehearsal. All input and recommendations are much appreciated. I considered this.... If bought 2 Headrush speakers for the price of one QSC or Yamaha, it may give me the option to run stereo and more headroom if needed. I also like the option of something lighter and leads back breaking after years of hauling a half stack.

I apologize for beating a dead horse on this. So I ’ve read multiple hours and hours worth of varied forums and posts regarding speakers. I have a budget of about $600-800. Here’s my options please let me what you’d pick if you were in my shoes?? I’m using an Axe III.

2 separate Headrush 108
2 separate Headrush 112
1 single QSC k10.2 or Yamaha DX10

I’ll be mostly using them for reheasel or sometimes home practice and occasionally as a back line/monitor when playing out.
I have to use 2 K10's to get a comfortable level above my loud drummer with acoustic drums. The get a little harsh when you have just one. Not enough air moving. We play 80's rock, Journey, Stix, Foreigner, Kansas.....etc

I have two HR 112's they do a nice job, easy on the back and wallet, sure there are better systems and they cost more but no regrets here..
I appreciate your reply. Thanks for your experience. This will hijack my own thread but I’m starting to lean heavily toward ponying up and getting a Friedman ASC-12 I’m used to a 4x12 so I need something will give me more of a cabinet sound. It would only be about $200 more than 2-Headrush 12’s.

no worries, I had actually looked at the Friedman ASC-12, my only drawback was I like to play in stereo so I'd need to get two of these and I could not bring myself to spend that much I'm sure it will do a good job for you, for what its worth I also used 412s I actually have two 1960 Marshals w/two (2) JMC800 heads so I can appreciate having and wanting to move more when you play. Update the post if you get them and let us know how you like them. Cheers...

no worries, I had actually looked at the Friedman ASC-12, my only drawback was I like to play in stereo so I'd need to get two of these and I could not bring myself to spend that much I'm sure it will do a good job for you, for what its worth I also used 412s I actually have two 1960 Marshals w/two (2) JMC800 heads so I can appreciate having and wanting to move more when you play. Update the post if you get them and let us know how you like them. Cheers...
I’ll keep you posted. It’s nice to hear you have the same concerns. I wish we had a music shop where I live so I could test out speakers. I would love a stereo setup also but I may settle to get the best live sounding speaker and save stereo for headphones and recording. Do you have any opinions from personal experience on the Friedman? There’s also a Gemini 1 I could pick up locally.

I’ll keep you posted. It’s nice to hear you have the same concerns. I wish we had a music shop where I live so I could test out speakers. I would love a stereo setup also but I may settle to get the best live sounding speaker and save stereo for headphones and recording. Do you have any opinions from personal experience on the Friedman? There’s also a Gemini 1 I could pick up locally.
I do not, just know that the brand has a solid reputation, and do not know the Ampeg model your refering too... if I was looking right now I might try and score a few of these https://celestion.com/product/138/k12h200tc/ and put them in some good cabinets while Celestion is not marketing them as frfr speakers others say they are full range and good for modeling.

Back
Top Bottom