Another gig with the FX8 - success - and issues

TRTTRTTRT

Experienced
Great SOUNDS and I had a few small issues.

Earlier today I was messing with the settings and switched the second global setting to single sticky whatever it is (edit. its called: sticky preset bank select mode). I always use sticky scene mode.

This had the desired effect of allowing me to hold down preset/bank button to activate the preset switcher screen WHILE in Scene mode.

Hurray thought I.

Then I went to soundcheck.

Again i switched to sticky scenes mode and the single sticky whatever option (again: sticky preset bank select mode). Loaded up preset one and held down the preset switcher button. The preset switching screen did NOT load, but instead the light next to it started flashing like mad as did the light next to S1. ???

I was very confused and assumed I had fucked something up. So. Back into global settings and it was no longer in sticky preset mode OR single sticky mode. ???

Then I switched them both back AGAIN and tried again. This time when I long pressed on the preset switcher button it activated true bypass. ???

So back in the menu. Turned the second option back to the default and everything worked as expected. By that I mean I had sticky scene mode, but had to deactivate scene mode to have the option to long press and get the preset switcher.

No idea how I got it to work earlier today. No idea how it kept switching modes. No idea really how any of that happened!! Disconcerting and nerve-wracking.

So anyway.

Played the gig. It sounded amazing. The other band was pretty shocked. Their two guitarists had giant pedalboards which frankly sounded like total ass. One guy had about 20 pedals and his tone was basically cardboard box. I used his amp for our set (which I regretted immediately) but the sound was huge. His pedals ruined his tone. My FX8 protected his tone.

Lots and lots of compliments as well. So. Total success I think. In the end.

What happened to me felt like a bug but maybe I just screwed it up repeatedly. I'll try and replicate it tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
A really neat feature of this unit would be a rolling system log, that tracked all the changes in the program. Small enough that you would have to dump the data reasonably close to the discovery of a bug, but long enough to grab the data after a set. This information could then be sent in for detailed re-creations, which take the user's memory out of the equation, and assist debug these issues. Not sure if something like this exists, or could even be implemented, it's fairly low level, but maybe an idea for future products.

Their's either sticky scene or sticky preset. "Single sticky" doesn't make sense because those are 2 opposite functions. I'll take a look at one right of the default and then try to recreate what happened.

It was "sticky preset bank select mode"... which is odd... I was just trying it at home... and when it and sticky scene mode were both on it was basically acting like sticky scene mode but with the ability to trigger the preset switcher with a long press on the preset bank button.

I had that working like that for about an hour. And was even going to post on my "wish" that that was how you make it work... but then.. well the other stuff happened.

I just dug it out and tried all the variations I could think of... I realise what the flashing light thing is (sticky preset), but that wasn't what I had going on earlier here at home... and it also has that annoying thing where you have to turn off scenes to long press it to get it to change presets... such a pain in the hole to remember...

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can make it act weird again... it was very strange...

I just dug it out and tried all the variations I could think of... I realise what the flashing light thing is (sticky preset), but that wasn't what I had going on earlier here at home... and it also has that annoying thing where you have to turn off scenes to long press it to get it to change presets... such a pain in the hole to remember...

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can make it act weird again... it was very strange...

If only we had the event log. :)

At least the gig went well - a bad sound check does get your nerves on edge though. I have my second gig tonight - ticket only event on new years eve and sold out.

No pressure :eek::eek::eek:

At least the gig went well - a bad sound check does get your nerves on edge though. I have my second gig tonight - ticket only event on new years eve and sold out.

No pressure :eek::eek::eek:

AWESOME! :)

And the gig went splendidly really... but yeah, I was thinking it was gonna start acting up the entire gig, but it didn't! And really, the sound was amazing!

AWESOME! :)

And the gig went splendidly really... but yeah, I was thinking it was gonna start acting up the entire gig, but it didn't! And really, the sound was amazing!

Yes you're absolutely right there. Our bass player complimented my tone at rehearsals yesterday - it must be good for him to say something positive.

It's worth the pain of waiting for FW3 when you turn it up ☺

Yes you're absolutely right there. Our bass player complimented my tone at rehearsals yesterday - it must be good for him to say something positive.

It's worth the pain of waiting for FW3 when you turn it up ☺

Hilariously my bass player did the same and it's about as shocking... of course he's inherited a few of my pedals so he better be nice! ;)

I would be completely happy* with FW 3 if it:

- fixed the filter bug as I'd use that all the time
- had a different sticky scenes screen
- had a few more pedals
- allowed me to switch to the preset switcher without turning off scenes mode first

None of those seem impossible and a few I'm 90% sure are happening so I'm definitely willing to wait. :) Especially as it sounds so flipping amazing!

*I probably won't be completely 100% happy if we never get the synth block, but I'm rounding up from 95%.

Hilariously my bass player did the same and it's about as shocking... of course he's inherited a few of my pedals so he better be nice! ;)

I would be completely happy* with FW 3 if it:

- fixed the filter bug as I'd use that all the time
- had a different sticky scenes screen
- had a few more pedals
- allowed me to switch to the preset switcher without turning off scenes mode first

None of those seem impossible and a few I'm 90% sure are happening so I'm definitely willing to wait. :) Especially as it sounds so flipping amazing!

*I probably won't be completely 100% happy if we never get the synth block, but I'm rounding up from 95%.

I'm very curious about the synth block - maybe have a use for it with some of the 80s stuff like Owner of a Lonely Heart - who knows.

I'm very curious about the synth block - maybe have a use for it with some of the 80s stuff like Owner of a Lonely Heart - who knows.
We only do originals... well... we do VERSIONS of a few tunes, but are an original band.. I'd have a LOT of use as we are pretty electronic... in places...

Owner of A Lonely Heart... my fave record review of all time is, in it's entirety:

Yes - 90215

No.

I like the album well enough I guess, but that's just so funny.

My FX8 does the same thing. I use 'sticky' to switch on scenes and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It goes straight into bank mode. I sometimes have to power cycle the FX8 to get it to snap out of it.

Hope its fixed in the firmware update.

My FX8 does the same thing. I use 'sticky' to switch on scenes and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It goes straight into bank mode. I sometimes have to power cycle the FX8 to get it to snap out of it.

Hope its fixed in the firmware update.

ohh! Thanks for that! Is that listed anywhere as a bug? If it's not it deffo should be!!

Back
Top Bottom