Another FX8 on eBay.com

If you buy second-hand, there is no guarantee of support or warranty no?

Not sure about support for the first year (if you buy second hand), but you can't get the 3 yr warranty if you are not the original purchaser.

From FAS's warranty page:

You must be a permanent resident of the USA or Canada

Your warranty is non-transferrable. Only the ORIGINAL PURCHASER can add the extended warranty. The extended warranty purchase must be made under the same email address or billing contact as the purchase of the original product. If you have any questions, please email sales@fractalaudio.com

The extended warranty is subject to the same terms as your original warranty except for the fact that it extends to cover three years from the original purchase date of your product (NOT three years from the purchase date of extended coverage.) Please see the product manual from your original purchase for the details of your original warranty.

LOL. $1695 for that thing. That is freaking disgusting. I pray no one is dumb enough to spend that.

Edit: Not to say the FX8 isn't worth it. Just not worth padding that dudes pocket. Shameless.

Last edited:
It's not like he is making a ton of money on it. After fees he might make $150 for someone that wants it right now and has the extra dough it might be worth it to them.

What would it take for him to break even after fees and shipping to him and his shipping to a buyer?

eBay and PayPal fees are about 10%. So he'd have to get $1525 plus shipping to cover the original purchase price and shipping.

eBay and PayPal fees are about 10%. So he'd have to get $1525 plus shipping to cover the original purchase price and shipping.

On eBay, the seller pays the shipping but adds it to the final bill. Fees for selling and PayPal average 10%. Bottom line is if the guy sells it for anything over $1500 he`s making money and everyone`s happy. I`d like to buy one this way but it would mean not being able to buy the 3 yr (standard first year + 2) warranty, which for the $135 FAS charge is (IMO) a good deal.

That's his problem, not the buyer's.

Agree 100%, just posting it because DavidE asked what he would have to clear to break even.

Personally, I do not view the extended warrantee as necessary but I can see how some people would want it depending on exactly what it covers. I'm not playing in bars so I'm not concerned about someone spilling beer on it. I doubt that would be covered anyway.

Wow, one of the the two on ebay hit the 2170 dollars mark (shipping of around 70 dollars incl.). For a used (!) pedal and no chance to return it if you change your mind. Still 1.5 days to go.
Subtract the ebay fee (around 200 bucks and after that 24 % of 1450 (assuming 100 for shipping) bucks for import tax and customs I can already now see a profit of at least 250 bucks.
Peepz going crazy these days - I mean buyers of course...

Between eBay and Paypal, you will end up losing 13% to fees. So $2170 * 0.87 = 1887.9. Probably $20-50 to ship. Already a profit of around $437 (taking out the initial tax and shipping paid at time of purchase). Absolute lunacy!! I cannot fathom why a buyer would be that desperate.

Also, I would be pissed if a customer of mine was reselling my product for profit like that.

No warranty. FAS has repeatedly stated no unit sold on Ebay is going to be warrantied by Fractal. You're on your own.

As said earlier in the thread, it isn't likely you'll need it but you just never know what the first owner has actually subjected the unit to before posting on Ebay. As with all used purchases, let the buyer beware. That said, I have well of 800 feedback level on Ebay since 1998, so it isn't like I don't like the site. I just understand the market standards there.

No warranty. FAS has repeatedly stated no unit sold on Ebay is going to be warrantied by Fractal.

Are you serious? Honestly, are you joking?
1. How would they know if it was sold on eBay?
2. A warranty is a legal thing and a guarantees the customer a certain safety no matter where the product was sold. This is applying to the product not the customer. I can't believe Fractal stated that. It is not the business of a company where people sell their gear.

Could you state otherwise?

The terms of a warranty are set by the manufacturer. Warantees are frequently offered to the original purchaser only. It's definitely not uncommon for a warranty to be non-transferable. I just read the warranty terms in the FX8 manual and it is offered to the original purchaser only. Don't like it, don't buy one off eBay.

Last edited:
The terms of a warranty are set by the manufacturer. Warantees are frequently offered to the original purchaser only. It's definitely not uncommon for a warranty to be non-transferable. I just read the warranty terms in the FX8 manual and it is offered to the original purchaser only. Don't like it, don't buy one off eBay.

Intersting. And I have to correct my last post, sorry!
In Germany:
The retailer (!) gives you a warranty of 24 months (in case material defects). This is compulsory. Also for privat retailers by the way (!)
The manufacturer - in contrary to what I wrote - may give you a guarantee of - mostly - between 12 and 24 months. This is voluntary. Most do.
It is understood there are many more additional rules that affect this.

Ebay is just a platform. When your FX8 is faulty then you have to to talk to the retailer - whoever it is.
And Fractal can to a certain degree rule out what they want to cover and what not, it seems. And I was wrong, it sems ;-)

AAAaaaaaand, it's gone. Someone actually bit the bullet and spent that much. Poor impatient fool.

Wait, wait, the other one in the UK is still there. 20 hours to go still, shipping incl. more than 2170 dollars. I bet it will be sold for more than 2200 dollars. Boys, boys, boys. Would you wait if you had big money or just say to hell with it? - -
Yeah, I figured that... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom