Another FRFR - GR Guitar AT G112A

Tell us more!

Are the speakers coaxial? How is the dispersion?

Are you using the 10” or 12”?

Have you been able to A/B them against the Red Sound cabinets?
Coaxial? Yes.
Dispersion. Very good. I play stereo and you can clearly hear left from right when using two cab models or some stereo time based shenanigans. I play 2x10, they seam to have just a bit for focus and projection than the 2x12.
I have A/B them to a lot of other brands and models, but not against a Red Sound I’m afraid.

What sold me in the end was the fact that these speakers don’t have a lot, if any, colorization. Sound dialed in at home on my studio speakers translate very well to the high volumes of these FRFR’s. Tight lows and no shreeky highs…

I'm mainly a bass player & I have been really interested in their carbon fiber bass cabs. Super light & reportedly really good sounding. They are really hard to find in the U.S. & expensive though. I would definitely be interested in their guitar FRFR as well!

The 1x12 has "only" 99dB SPL. My ASC-10 has 129dB SPL. (don't know whether you can compare them like that...)
You can’t compare them. One is a measure of sensitivity — how much SPL can you generate with a certain fixed level of signal. The other one is a measure of how much SPL you can generate with maximum signal. In both cases, the manufacturer provides too little information, so those specs are meaningless.

Coaxial? Yes.
Dispersion. Very good. I play stereo and you can clearly hear left from right when using two cab models or some stereo time based shenanigans. I play 2x10, they seam to have just a bit for focus and projection than the 2x12.
I have A/B them to a lot of other brands and models, but not against a Red Sound I’m afraid.

What sold me in the end was the fact that these speakers don’t have a lot, if any, colorization. Sound dialed in at home on my studio speakers translate very well to the high volumes of these FRFR’s. Tight lows and no shreeky highs…
Thanks.

The 10” should translate better to the guitar’s range than a 12”, especially in a band setting, and is what I want, well, that, low coloration and light weight. I really like my EV PXM-12MP cabs but they are about 2x heavier.

The 1x12 has "only" 99dB SPL. My ASC-10 has 129dB SPL. (don't know whether you can compare them like that...)
You can’t compare them, they’re apples and oranges.

99 dB is the sensitivity rating, typically with 1 watt input. 129 dB would be the output volume at the rated output power. In other words, it’d be at a reasonable stage volume at 1 watt. 129 dB will cause hearing damage and I, or the bar owner, would be yelling at whoever was on stage at that volume because it’s painful.

In both cases, the manufacturer provides too little information, so those specs are meaningless.
Exactly. Silly PR and sales games hiding behind numbers.

You can’t compare them. One is a measure of sensitivity — how much SPL can you generate with a certain fixed level of signal. The other one is a measure of how much SPL you can generate with maximum signal. In both cases, the manufacturer provides too little information, so those specs are meaningless.
If the wattage of the amplifier is known you can calculate the max SPL from the sensitivity. Since sensitivity is the SPL measured at 1m/1W and every doubling of the wattage increases it by 3dB, we can say that at 300w the SPL will be ~125dB

Coaxial? Yes.

So the 210 is stereo?
1/4" or XLR in?

If the wattage of the amplifier is known you can calculate the max SPL from the sensitivity. Since sensitivity is the SPL measured at 1m/1W and every doubling of the wattage increases it by 3dB, we can say that at 300w the SPL will be ~125dB
There are a couple of things to unpack here. For one, sensitivity is usually measured at 1w/1M, but that’s just a convention. When the manufacturer neglects to mention that part of the spec, it could have been measured any way they please. That makes it impossible to know what the true sensitivity is.

Next up is the difference between calculated max SPL and measured max SPL. The calculated number assumes that the speaker’s response to power change is linear, and that the speaker has no physical limit on its response to power. Those things are rarely true, and measured max SPL is almost always lower than the calculated value.

Finally, the listed max SPL doesn’t say at what distance it was measured, or at how much distortion, so there’s no way to give meaning to that spec, ether.

There are a couple of things to unpack here. For one, sensitivity is usually measured at 1w/1M, but that’s just a convention. When the manufacturer neglects to mention that part of the spec, it could have been measured any way they please. That makes it impossible to know what the true sensitivity is.

Next up is the difference between calculated max SPL and measured max SPL. The calculated number assumes that the speaker’s response to power change is linear, and that the speaker has no physical limit on its response to power. Those things are rarely true, and measured max SPL is almost always lower than the calculated value.

Finally, the listed max SPL doesn’t say at what distance it was measured, or at how much distortion, so there’s no way to give meaning to that spec, ether.
Yes, as you say it's a convention but I expect a manufacturer to follow that convention when taking measurements.. maybe wishful thinking on my part.

In the same way, I also expect that a manufacturer in 2022 uses a speaker arrangement rated at a wattage higher than that coming out of the amplifier, and in that case the speakers should work in their linear range so the dB reduction due to thermal compression and distortion should be negligible.
This might be wishful thinking as well, but I hope not given the price of this particular speaker.

Btw, for the max SPL the convention is to measure it at 1m as well, but again...

Back
Top Bottom