Another female rocker - Just so many

So, I’ve been watching this discussion, but I’ve been holding off on responding to avoid an unmeasured response. Let me start by saying I am a woman who has been on the internet since high school back in 1990. Surprisingly little has changed for me in interacting online since then. The moment I identify my gender, it changes the interaction without fail. I’ve learned to strip any gender identifying aspects from my usernames, email addresses, profiles, etc. because it just saves time. My SOP has become lay low and lurk otherwise I get interactions I don’t want. Sure, it’s unfair, but I can’t change the internet’s default male response, so this is how I function online.

Moreover, I’ve been online long enough that I don’t get offended when someone drops an offhand comment about appearance or gender, I just feel dismayed. As someone accurately noted earlier, I tend to write those folks off as someone to step carefully around. Qualifying comments on this forum about a female’s physical characteristics, no matter how well-intentioned the comment, tells me that the commenter is routing everything from or about women through another part of their brain I’m not here to be a part of. Try to omit the qualification as it doesn’t serve what we are all here for. I’m here to discuss using Fractal’s incredible products to make music. I don’t care to hear anyone else’s opinions on appearance or gender (or politics, or religion, or anything else not music). Those qualifications are as relevant in the context of this forum as your opinion on eggs or your favorite color.

That said, I’ve been seriously impressed with how overwhelmingly successful FAS, the moderators, and the community in general have been on keeping things on topic and welcoming on this forum. Let’s keep doing that! Yeah, I’d also like to see more people of all stripes picking up a guitar to express themselves. But calling out ‘OMG, it’s a girl!’ detracts when your intent is to cheer on players. When you throw an asterisk on a posting based on appearance or gender, I’ll sigh disappointed, then fall back into SOP and lay low. I know I’m not unique in that response. I’m certain we will see more varied gender representation when we don’t shine a light on it. There’s no score to keep or quota to be met, so let’s try lifting everyone, regardless of irrelevant categorizations.

So an innocent She's cute about a super fabulous guitar player that could be my grand daughter is a bad example for what has transpired in this thread. imho. I use that phrase with some of my nieces, so to me, it was just a compliment intended with the best of intentions.. Boy, was I ever surprised. But it is what it is.

********************To HDCS, I truly apologize if my comment makes\made you uncomfortable....Was the farthest thing from my mind and it won't happen again. ************************

I hate to think what would have happen here if an actual slur or racey comment was made by someone. I truly believe part of the fascination and reason for folks saying "female" guitarist instead of just guitarist is because of the vast majority being males................

So I am the guy that made this comment, I'll take the grief for that. I also will add that NO ONE on this forum has added more videos or audio about many great female guitarists as I have.....I will continue to do so whenever I find them because I feel a wonderful fascinating thing is happening in the music world...............Peace...

Last edited:
But she only plays rhythm guitar. Not exactly the new Alexandra Van Halen.
Late to the game. I just saw this...

“Only plays rhythm guitar.”

Rhythm guitar is an art form. When people say “guitar-driven song,” it’s rhythm guitar that’s driving the song. There’s a lot involved in doing that well.

Mr. Van Halen is a superb rhythm guitarist. Listen to any VH album. Most of what he’s playing is rhythm guitar.

BTW, The subject of the reference I "mistakenly" made has been lost in all of the chest puffing here.
I give you a great guitar player at the age of 14..............................Today Tina is 19 I believe.......

in the spirit of positivity and moving forward, i have done my best to remove posts that aren't on the specific topic of sharing videos or stories about female guitarists. i tried to be as objective as possible, so please don't be offended if your post was removed.

this thread is not about the topic of female vs male guitarists, being politically correct, or anything like that. please do not make any posts about that sort of thing. i did leave a few posts that touched on that concept, but over half of this thread was off-topic after a certain point. some good discussion was happening, but it is not a topic for this forum or this thread.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom