another dumb question for my fav forum-but serious!

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So I need small venue powered PA 12" speakers. I like these:

Electro-Voice ELX200-12" Powered $699 each or​

JBL EON612 12" 2-way powered PA speaker — 1,000W peak $499 each​

Just a one man thing, sometimes acousti and sometimes Strats with backing tracks and of course vocals Wondering if the $$$ difference is warranted but

*************MORE importantly, this is the dumb question. All this BT and digital DSP with blue LCDS. If the DSP crap dies do the speakers still work-maybe on the setting they died on or is it in the line and if it goes , no speakers.
I REALLY HATE thet everything has to have so much unneeded BS added. Hard to find without this crap- Thanks

So I need small venue powered PA 12" speakers. I like these:

Electro-Voice ELX200-12" Powered $699 each or​

JBL EON612 12" 2-way powered PA speaker — 1,000W peak $499 each​

Just a one man thing, sometimes acousti and sometimes Strats with backing tracks and of course vocals Wondering if the $$$ difference is warranted but

*************MORE importantly, this is the dumb question. All this BT and digital DSP with blue LCDS. If the DSP crap dies do the speakers still work-maybe on the setting they died on or is it in the line and if it goes , no speakers.
I REALLY HATE thet everything has to have so much unneeded BS added. Hard to find without this crap- Thanks
I don’t have any experience with the EV, but the JBL EON is a great line for the price point. I know a guy who uses a pair for his acoustic gig and they sound really good. Like any PA speaker, you’ll need to do a little EQ’ing but definitely a good value.

I don’t have any experience with the EV, but the JBL EON is a great line for the price point. I know a guy who uses a pair for his acoustic gig and they sound really good. Like any PA speaker, you’ll need to do a little EQ’ing but definitely a good value.
Curious Ruse
How loud does this guy play? I ask because I play acoustic, but then, when appropriate, I pick my Strat, use backing tracks forr some heavy bass and drums stuff, like Crossroads, Hollywood nights, etc.

Curious Ruse
How loud does this guy play? I ask because I play acoustic, but then, when appropriate, I pick my Strat, use backing tracks forr some heavy bass and drums stuff, like Crossroads, Hollywood nights, etc.
For his small pub gig (about 1,500 sq. ft.), he can get by with one speaker. He uses some effects and a vocal harmony pedal, so he uses two for stereo separation. Two of them could easily fill the place up with a backing track, although you might want to consider a subwoofer. Once you get them up on stands and add a full mix, any 12” full-range monitor will lose bottom end.

Do you have any local dealers that carry them? I would definitely audition them first.

For his small pub gig (about 1,500 sq. ft.), he can get by with one speaker. He uses some effects and a vocal harmony pedal, so he uses two for stereo separation. Two of them could easily fill the place up with a backing track, although you might want to consider a subwoofer. Once you get them up on stands and add a full mix, any 12” full-range monitor will lose bottom end.

Do you have any local dealers that carry them? I would definitely audition them first.
Yes, a few. Thanks for the input

Really curious about this though. I am guessing I know the answer, no dsp digital BS, no speakers.
MORE importantly, this is the dumb question. All this BT and digital DSP with blue LCDS. If the DSP crap dies do the speakers still work-maybe on the setting they died on or is it in the line and if it goes , no speakers.
I REALLY HATE thet everything has to have so much unneeded BS added. Hard to find without this crap-

Yes, a few. Thanks for the input

Really curious about this though. I am guessing I know the answer, no dsp digital BS, no speakers.
MORE importantly, this is the dumb question. All this BT and digital DSP with blue LCDS. If the DSP crap dies do the speakers still work-maybe on the setting they died on or is it in the line and if it goes , no speakers.
I REALLY HATE thet everything has to have so much unneeded BS added. Hard to find without this crap-
I’m not sure about the feature set. Unfortunately, I’ve only hear them.

FWIW we have a pair of JBL EON One's for small venues (and for a practice room) and have never even turned the BT on; don't need it, don't want it. They sound great with decent bottom for backing tracks in a small space. They are more $$ than the 612s, but maybe some used ones might be an option?

(I don't know how to answer your question... I can imagine some aspects of the BT could fail without impacting basic speaker use, but other DSP function failures would likely cripple everything.)

FWIW we have a pair of JBL EON One's for small venues (and for a practice room) and have never even turned the BT on; don't need it, don't want it. They sound great with decent bottom for backing tracks in a small space. They are more $$ than the 612s, but maybe some used ones might be an option?

(I don't know how to answer your question... I can imagine some aspects of the BT could fail without impacting basic speaker use, but other DSP function failures would likely cripple everything.)
I was looking at the newer JBL712's. Sweetwater has them. I don't want an all in one deal.
Also, I am not talking about the bluetooth. Perhaps I am not explaining i correctly.
My Yamaha DXR10's (which I would like to leave in my studio) don't have any of that digital dsp , eq settings crap.
That is what I mean, all that digital UN-NEEDED, imho stuff. I set the EQ with my fractal devices and with my mixer when playing out, not my speakers.

I'm going to throw this out there being you are looking at PA speakers that aren't designed for guitar modeling. Seriously have a look at LD Systems ICOA 12 speakers. I went down the rabbit hole on FRFR speakers designed for modelers Freidman Xitone Atomic Celestion FX whatever and like each however they all lacked something or other. At $349-$399 each the LD System ICOA 12 is a steal of a deal. The design is similar to the Atomic CLR in the that horn is mounted in front of the 12" bass drive. They used to sell these without Bluetooth for $299 but I believe they have discontinued that model. They have a nice EQ section that Friedman and Atomic don't have so you can add or subtract Frequencies as needed. I liked these so much I have Four of them now and the outher stuff is for sale.

I bought both sets from IDJNOW.com. First order was for non Bluetooth model. A couple weeks later I ordered a second set, after them not shipping for a week I contacted them to be told that the non-BT version was discontinued but they could upgrade me to the new BT model for free. So now I have a set of each.

Forgot to mention the horn can be twisted for floor monitor or stand mode.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.53.52 PM.png

https://www.americanmusical.com/ld-...CfZzni_3fbxHlcql0x91G789-w9Af6NBoCOCcQAvD_BwE

https://www.zzounds.com/item--LDSIC...koVQ2fvnk7BbxRA-POypu2fonjazuvOhoCmNcQAvD_BwE

https://www.idjnow.com/ld-systems-l...VIJjzj6jSpXGeYzNwQVXgnk11bDLvMZxoCmyUQAvD_BwE

I'm going to throw this out there being you are looking at PA speakers that aren't designed for guitar modeling. Seriously have a look at LD Systems ICOA 12 speakers. I went down the rabbit hole on FRFR speakers designed for modelers Freidman Xitone Atomic Celestion FX whatever and like each however they all lacked something or other. At $349-$399 each the LD System ICOA 12 is a steal of a deal. The design is similar to the Atomic CLR in the that horn is mounted in front of the 12" bass drive. They used to sell these without Bluetooth for $299 but I believe they have discontinued that model. They have a nice EQ section that Friedman and Atomic don't have so you can add or subtract Frequencies as needed. I liked these so much I have Four of them now and the outher stuff is for sale.

I bought both sets from IDJNOW.com. First order was for non Bluetooth model. A couple weeks later I ordered a second set, after them not shipping for a week I contacted them to be told that the non-BT version was discontinued but they could upgrade me to the new BT model for free. So now I have a set of each.

Forgot to mention the horn can be twisted for floor monitor or stand mode.

View attachment 93910

https://www.americanmusical.com/ld-...CfZzni_3fbxHlcql0x91G789-w9Af6NBoCOCcQAvD_BwE

https://www.zzounds.com/item--LDSIC...koVQ2fvnk7BbxRA-POypu2fonjazuvOhoCmNcQAvD_BwE

https://www.idjnow.com/ld-systems-l...VIJjzj6jSpXGeYzNwQVXgnk11bDLvMZxoCmyUQAvD_BwE
OK I will. I use my DXR10's for fratcal stuff. This playing out again stuff is something I am wanting to do again a bit. Been 15 years. I have played at jams and stuff. I mean 15 years as a solo act. Been doing midi since the 90's.

40lbs- wow. Pretty heavy. They look pretty well made though. $700 Ev's 12" only weigh 34lbs. But cost 2X as much.
I will be taking some interest. So you are saying fractal sounds good thru these also?

Thanks

I think so. Yes not the lightest or most compact but they sound really good in my personal opinion. And at that price buy it try it send it back if you don't like it. My user case was this, live band where the other guitar player played thru a tube head and 4x12 cab. His guitar sound was very focused at long distance from the stage where my FRFR stuff sounded killer on stage but didn't travel like his. The bass player ran sound and put little to none of his guitar in the PA because he was so loud on stage and my guitar low in the PA cause he wore in ears and was taking his mix from the PA mix where if I had one hot preset he would turn me down in the PA. I got so pissed from hearing videos of the band where his guitar was blaring and I was absent from the mix I put one of the LD speakers next to the PA on either side. Problem solved. So much for carrying less gear. Next project is all in ears so no more volume wars.

Back
Top Bottom