Another convert on the way!

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
My uncle was visiting from Virginia and has yet to try any Fractal gear. He gave me my first guitar when I was 11 and is an outstanding guitarist/vocalist in his own right. He's been using a Fender Mustang and some Mooer pedal, I'm not sure if it's a pre-amp type thing or just an IR loader, but he doesn't have a ton of experience with amp modeling. He was an early adopter with it, selling his Mesa Boogie MkIII stack in the early 90's to buy a Digitech 2101 when they first came out.....and hated it. :tearsofjoy:

FM9Convert.jpg

I dragged my current tossed-together live rig into the living room for him to dig into it. That's my dad on the couch and really, the only reason I exist is because my dad was auditioning for my uncle's band and met my mother. They were like Cheech and Chong for a long time. :tearsofjoy:

I walked him through the concept of presets and scenes, showed him how the switching works and within 5 minutes he was going up and down the banks, switching effects on/off individually and was totally in love. I still have all the factory presets in there, every couple presets there'd be another "Holy fucking shit are you serious?! Get the fuck out of here! You're shittin' me....so wait....I can go like this and do....ohhhhhh I see!"

As long as I've been going to music stores and trying gear with him, 28 years now, the first thing he does is hit an A chord and lets it ring out. I'm in a small apartment and haven't pissed off my neighbors yet, but I cranked up the Powerstage for a minute and let him do it, he's standin' there screamin "YEAH!! YEAH THAT'S IT!!! OH YEAH!!!" :tearsofjoy:

We stayed up until almost 2AM going through the presets while watching Big Wreck videos (he's never checked them out before). I don't see him often these days, he used to live right upstairs from me when we lived in NH and I was able to get lessons from him all the time, or he'd tweak my guitars with me. Actually, this was the first time I've been in the same room with him and a guitar in 18 years, so it was pretty cool to have him check out the music I've been writing and seeing where I'm at as an overall musician these days.

He's responsible for a lot of that and after having a heart attack a few years back, the medical bills has thrown his financial status through hell. Not to mention, I really destroyed a lot of his gear when I was a teenager because I used to be a little shithead. Snapped the headstock on an Ibanez RG570, scratched the bottom of his studio monitors to shit, broke his nice AKG headphones, the input jack on his Alvarez acoustic....I'm sure there was more. Needless to say, if nephew Drew bought Uncle Ron an FM9, it might go a long way in saying "Thank you and I'm really sorry I was a shithead teenager." :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom